Changing string gauge

tmac65

I want to switch to 11s on my CU24 for Eb tuning. It has 10s now.
Can I do this without having to reslot the nut?

Yes, just might need a setup (adjusting truss rod/action/intonation, tightening trem). Shouldn't be anything major though

If you move up to .11's from .10's on a trem equipped guitar, make sure the nut is slotted for .11's or you may have some tuning issues.

I'd recommend some Nut Sauce either way.

Groove-Luber.jpg

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;21921 said:
If you move up to .11's from .10's on a trem equipped guitar, make sure the nut is slotted for .11's or you may have some tuning issues.

I'd recommend some Nut Sauce either way.

I was afraid of the nut being too tight. I'll lube it up and hope for the best.

All of the other adjustments I am fine making.

When PRSi used to be shipped with 9's, going to 10's was no problem. I would think that now that they come with 10's, going to 11's should be the same...

Jamie

The .11s are on. I went with the EB Power Slinky .11-.48 strings. No adjustment was required for the nut. The truss rod and spring claw required a slight tweak, but not much.

The last few days I've been experimenting with string gauges on my CU24. For standard tuning I use 10-46. I'm tuning a whole step down and 10-46's are way too floppy. So i tried D'Addario 12-54 heavy set. Made all the proper adjustments. Lots of tension!. Sounds really nice but I got a weak arm so next! I think they would be better for 3 or 4 half steps down. Next I tried a D'Addario medium top/heavy bottom set. 11-52. Think I've found what I'm looking for. Feels like 10's in standard tuning! After my playing around with the different string gauges I found a great drop tuning reference. It compares the tension of different strings sets at different tunings and really helps you figure out what you're looking for! Here's the link: http://www.daddario.com/DADDropTuning.Page I hope this helps someone!

Back