Changing Out Strap Buttons - Any Risk?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by jdag, Nov 11, 2017.

1. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Never have had a problem with the PRS buttons. I use straps with leather that’s thick enough to stay in place snugly, so maybe that’s part of it.

I’ve seen guitars with Schaller locks fall, mainly when the mechanism on the strap becomes loose, which seems to happen if you don’t check them (Loctite may solve this).

I’m not a fan of metal strap locks, they’re rattly gizmos. With non-PRS guitars I’ve used Grolsch rubber O-rings over the strap button, but I haven’t owned anything but PRS in over a decade, so...

2. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

It's the somersaults. I told you somersaults on stage would be a disaster!:p

3. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

You make it sound so easy. I just...can’t...help myself!

4. jdag

jdag New Member

When starting this thread, I never envisioned the word "somersaults" being part of it!

Anyhow...I just ordered the Schaller locks...should be here on Wed. Looking forward to getting them installed, and appreciate the help!

5. alantig

alantig Santana-free since '63!

I'm also quite large, but I haven't seen any failures w/the PRS buttons. I still use Schallers, though.

6. bluenova

bluenova Electrified since '84

Blue loctite the nut that clamps down on the strap and you’ll be good to go.

7. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

There’s a video from Experience of CRGTR nearly dropping a white EG headstock first. That’s from memory, so it may be a different model, but the strap fell off. Not strap button failure, but easy enough for a seasoned guitarist to fall victim to a roadie mistake.

8. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan DGT Club Vice President

[​IMG]

I'm always very delicate and careful.

9. jdag

jdag New Member

Just installed the Schaller strap locks last night...with a bit of locktite on the nuts...good investment of $12.

10. Lee B.

Lee B. I stitch my wings and pull the strings.

The US buttons (the wide flanged ones that look suspiciously like Jazz Bass string retainers) work pretty well, but I don't know to what degree the drilled hole and screw vary from the SE buttons. With the US buttons, I carefully unscrew them, thread a suede strap and a rubber strap block (the red or black ones that look suspiciously like draft beer bottle coupling washers) onto the button sleeve, then carefully screw them back in till they're just snug. No issues whatsoever for me, and I'm also a pretty big guy. Only downside is that you have to adjust the strap first, cause you wouldn't want to do this often.