Changing Out Strap Buttons - Any Risk?

jdag

This might sound incredibly naive and worrisome. But I am wondering how "safe" it is to remove the stock strap buttons/screws. I am considering replacing the stock buttons with either the larger US buttons or with strap locks (Schaller or Dunlop).

My concern is reinserting the wood screw back into the body. Is there risk of stripping out the hole? Cracking the body? I don't want to compromise the guitar in any way.

Thanks for appealing to my "idiosyncrasies"!

My opinion is if you are using the original screw and don't take it out and put it back in a million times it should be fine.

I unscrew mine to put a strap on as to not muck up the leather too much...I take it off once in a while. The same though had occurred to me so don't feel bad.

Where this extends from is that I just bought a PRS leather bird strap this week...and the connection points are much softer and more pliable than my prior strap. So I feel that it can easily come off of the stock SE button.

I also was looking at those rubber washer locks as a simple alternative.

You’re safe. Use the factory screw again if you can. If you have to use a different screw to work with a different strap button use one that’s close to the same size/length. If it doesn’t tighten back up cause it’s threaded different or the hole is stripped look up the toothpick/wood glue fix.

Thanks guys...opening up the hole too much was my fear...sounds like it will be fine.

We do it a lot (well I don't, I like the originals, but I do have strap locks on a few of mine that I used to gig with). Many people swap the buttons for strap locks. A time or two won't hurt. 100 times would be risky.

Thinking the strap locks might make most sense. Even if I get the larger US buttons, I would still want to remove the strap from time-to-time. Schaller and Dunlop seem like well regarded options.

I've also read up a bit on the Loxx buttons. They look to be a bit lower profile, which I'd prefer. Any experience with those?

I've removed and put on my straps hundreds of times for practice and gigs using the stock core strap buttons. Hasn't been a problem with drops or anything whilst bouncing around on stage. YMMV, but so far I've had no reason to look at locks.
Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself.:rolleyes:

I always put on strap locks. You’re way more likely to damage the guitar by having it come off the strap than by messing with the screws. Just be gentle.

I think you will be just fine. I am a guitar rookie and I changed out the straplocks on all of my PRSi all by myself. Like everyone else said, doing this a few times shouldnt hurt at all. If its a used instrument, you might not know the condition of the hole so be prepared to use glue and toothpicks to fill it in if you need to. On one occasion, I had to put some soap or wax material on the screw to make it go in smoothly.

I've used both the existing PRS strap button screws and the screws that come with the Dunlap strap locks. One is longer than the other but I forget which one. Try to use the existing PRS screw if it will fit but you can make it work either way.

One more thing. I always install those little rubber washers when I install strap locks. Gotta protect that PRS finish.

:)

I have locks on all guitars and straps, basically the first thing I do to a guitar after buying one.
I've not had any real issues.
One lock on my CU24 tends to come loose a little bit, but my other guitars are all fine. I should get a tooth pick out this weekend and fix it up.
I try not to over tighten them, in case it does cause any stress on the guitar finish.

I use Schallers with the stock screws. I have found the pegs can work loose and then you can get in trouble putting weight on them. I just keep an eye on them.

I used the original screws when I changed out my strap buttons to Schallers. But I also added a felt washer under the new button, just in case...

A couple of toothpicks and some wood glue have always solved my lose screw problems. I put Dunlop strap locks on all my guitars and the screw is smaller than the PTS screws.

Note that for the Dunlops you have to use the Dunlop screws as the heads are a different size for their proprietary strap buttons, they are also a bit longer than the PRS screws but I've installed them on 6 core PRS with zero probs (I just keep turning the screwdriver until the screw seats!)

I’m in the toothpick camp. Use the flat ones. They are softer, but still make a nice secure fit.

I change all mine out to locking Schallers. Because they use a different screw, you have to be careful. I broke a screw off flush with the wood by cranking too hard on one of my R9s. The good news is I watched and was amazed as my local luthier remove it in under 10 minutes with zero harm. Ah, the tricks of the trade.

Despite being quite large, I’ve seen failures with the PRS buttons...right CRGTR? :eek: My stint with Schaller started when my Lester came off the button for the 500th time, way before PRS. But my straps all have locks, so...

Back