Change pickups - convert 3way to 5way plus coil taps

David Brusegard

I have a 2001 PRS Custom 24 Ltd - has 3 way switch vol and tone. Want to make it 5 way, possibly switch to the new CU24 LTD 2018 pickups and add coil taps if possible. Anyone know how to do this and where to get the gear?

did you try the PRS customer service website . check the schematic for the cu24 with a 5 way.

Guess I should use my head... Will go there for sure. Thx
Dave also look at the switch position chart you will get br HB---br S----br and neck HB---neck S ----neck HB..see if that is what you want.
you can play with which coil you you want. but you might get some cancellation..

I was very tempted by a core Custom 24, but discovered I couldn't isolate the neck pickup (I seldom use bridge pickups at all).
The problem is I couldn't know what it would sound like until I had bought it and modified it. It was a risk I couldn't take.

I was very tempted by a core Custom 24, but discovered I couldn't isolate the neck pickup (I seldom use bridge pickups at all).
The problem is I couldn't know what it would sound like until I had bought it and modified it. It was a risk I couldn't take.
I don't have any idea what you mean. isolate the pickup ?????

use the pickup independently

I'm still awfully confused by this... I mean, you can use the neck pickup "independently" on the Custom 24... on any Custom 24 I've ever seen one of the pickup positions is "neck pickup"... That's whether with the three-way switch and pull tone coil tap ("McCarty switching") you currently have, the five-way dial, or the five-way blade switch... unless you mean using the neck pickup in split mode in isolation, so you get just the neck pickup split; I guess the only way to do that with factory wiring is the McCarty switching - not sure how you'd do that on a five way, but I doubt there's a wiring diagram for it on the PRS site...

Last edited:
I'm still awfully confused by this... Of course you can use the neck pickup "independently" on the Custom 24... on any Custom 24 I've ever seen one of the pickup positions is "neck pickup"... That's whether with the three-way switch and "McCarty switching", the five-way dial, or the five-way blade switch...

Really? My SE Custom 24 is just like that, but the Core I played last month had various split combinations but not the neck pickup by itself. I am confused now. o_O

Really? My SE Custom 24 is just like that, but the Core I played last month had various split combinations but not the neck pickup by itself. I am confused now. o_O
Okay, so you do mean the split neck in isolation... I edited my post above as you were making this post LOL

Okay, so you do mean the split neck in isolation... I edited my post above as you were making this post LOL

Sorry for the confusion. No I meant the full neck pickup in isolation, (though a split option would be very attractive). It had the 5 way switch.

Right I've just researched the specs and position 5 is indeed supposed to be neck pickup only.
I could have sworn that the bridge pickup was on in all positions. At least I've got that cleared up. Appologies for steering off topic.

Back