CE22 or DGT

Johnny Rigs

"Hold on to your butts" - Samuel L Jackson
Need some recommendations. The CE seller will take a trade on my SG Standard plus some cash, the DGT is sell only. I've only owned SE models, so I haven't played either of these models. I have two LPs that one of these guitars will be joining - an '09 Traditional w/ '57 Classics and an '07 Studio w/ TBD replacements for the 490R/498T set in it, likely a Suhr Doug Aldrich set.

So, I guess I'm asking two things: 1) what's the better deal, and 2) which will better compliment the LPs?

The bolt-on maple neck might make for some nice pop in my sound, and I'd only be out $300 to get it. I've never played Dragon IIs. But I hear many-a-folk say that the DGT is just their favorite guitar, full stop. I should add this DGT has a 10-top w/ dots and no neck binding, if that makes a difference.

They're both a bit too far away to take a trip just to try it out, unfortunately. Thoughts? Questions?

They aren't really comparable. Completely different body thickness, different woods, set neck vs bolt on, (assuming the pickups are stock) very different pickups. It's really hard to say one or the other. Really just depends which kind of sound you want.

They aren't really comparable. Completely different body thickness, different woods, set neck vs bolt on, (assuming the pickups are stock) very different pickups. It's really hard to say one or the other. Really just depends which kind of sound you want.
Yea, I was figuring.

I did hear David play at a clinic last year, but it was though a PRS amp, no idea how it was set, he plays 11s I think - and I use my hands and an old Boogie.

I have a 20yo Strat I don't play because it just sounds thin and stringy, but I like the idea of having some more snap. The jumbo frets and the two volume controls on the DGT are a strong pull, though.

Yea, I was figuring.

I did hear David play at a clinic last year, but it was though a PRS amp, no idea how it was set, he plays 11s I think - and I use my hands and an old Boogie.

I have a 20yo Strat I don't play because it just sounds thin and stringy, but I like the idea of having some more snap. The jumbo frets and the two volume controls on the DGT are a strong pull, though.
I've never played a DGT so I can't vouch for that, but I've had both a CE22 and currently own a CE24. The CE22 is the only guitar I've ever regretted selling and I got the CE24 to remedy that. I can honestly say I don't ever see this guitar going anywhere.

Yea, I was figuring.

I think this is your answer. The DGT is a really good guitar. Yes it David uses 11s and the guitar ships with them - current seller might have switched. It will probably steal time from the Les Pauls.
The CE will be further from the Les Pauls tone wise, and as such might fill some tonal space you are missing. The dragons in it are good pickups - at least I like them. At $300 out of pocket, if you wouldn't miss the SG, it is a cheap way to see if you care about what it adds to you tonally.

That said, I never buy a guitar based on what is the best deal. I buy the guitar I most want to be able to play whenever I want. If that means I wait a while to be able to afford it, so be it. Bottom line: I think the DGT is what you want to play and you will keep it for a very long time.

I think this is your answer. The DGT is a really good guitar. Yes it David uses 11s and the guitar ships with them - current seller might have switched. It will probably steal time from the Les Pauls.
The CE will be further from the Les Pauls tone wise, and as such might fill some tonal space you are missing. The dragons in it are good pickups - at least I like them. At $300 out of pocket, if you wouldn't miss the SG, it is a cheap way to see if you care about what it adds to you tonally.

That said, I never buy a guitar based on what is the best deal. I buy the guitar I most want to be able to play whenever I want. If that means I wait a while to be able to afford it, so be it. Bottom line: I think the DGT is what you want to play and you will keep it for a very long time.
The spec card for this DGT shows 10s. I guess this was a special request from the buyer? It's fine with me, I did 11s a while back and keeping all my guitars 10-46 works better for me.

DGT has lower output pickups, thicker body , cross between a WF and a Standard neck carve and is a KILLER guitar ( tho mine has different pickups ) they play great with 10s .
I have played a CE nice guitars, You can't go wrong ether way.
Im with Sergio you will need both :) so trade off one of the LPs and the SG you will be a happy camper

You guys are making it tough. The more I stare at that 10 top in black gold, the worse it gets. Mesmerizing.

I got a reply notice from @Elliot , but I don't see it here. Disappeared. But I'll reply to it here anyways.

I don’t want to imply that you didn’t spend time researching before considering your guitars. But if you’re looking at spending up to xxxx somewhere in the realm of ce22-DGT, why not do a little poking around at the other PRS models? There are plenty of others to be had in that range and you might get exactly what you want.

I didn't start out looking to spend $xxxx. I wanted a carved top USA PRS and was looking around to see what came in close to my SG's value range. Stumbled upon this CE. As I kept searching, this DGT came up and I recalled the many times I've read other rave about their DGTs. So it got me thinking - maybe the extra investment is worth it at this price?

Since I don't have any experience with the USA models, I can only filter based on things I know I want and don't want. I want a trem, carved top, 22 frets, and covered pickups, and don't want a thinner neck, singlecut body, or shorter than 25" scale. So, to my knowledge, that eliminates the S2 line, all of the Custom series (the majority of what's available), the Tremonti, SCs, and any McCarty's or Santana's that may be remotely close in price. And basically leaves the CE22, DGT, the few Studios that I see, and a couple other random items.

So, I guess to answer your question, I've done a little poking around and know what I'm not looking for. Looking for some help with other bit :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a reply notice from @Elliot , but I don't see it here. Disappeared. But I'll reply to it here anyways.

I didn't start out looking to spend $xxxx. I wanted a carved top USA PRS and was looking around to see what came in close to my SG's value range. Stumbled upon this CE. As I kept searching, this DGT came up and I recalled the many times I've read other rave about their DGTs. So it got me thinking - maybe the extra investment is worth it at this price?

Since I don't have any experience with the USA models, I can only filter based on things I know I want and don't want. I want a trem, carved top, 22 frets, and covered pickups, and don't want a thinner neck, singlecut body, or shorter than 25" scale. So, to my knowledge, that eliminates the S2 line, all of the Custom series (the majority of what's available), the Tremonti, SCs, and any McCarty's or Santana's that may be remotely close in price. And basically leaves the CE22, DGT, the few Studios that I see, and a couple other random items.

So, I guess to answer your question, I've done a little poking around and know what I'm not looking for. Looking for some help with other bit :)
It really comes down to what sound you want. The DGT is going to be more in the ballpark tonally of your LPs. I think of my CE as the ideal modern doublecut HH style guitar (superstrat if you will). CE will give you more tonal diversity compared to what you already have. But I do agree with what the others have said. If you get the DGT, your LPs will likely get cased or sold.

Yeah I deleted it because after I wrote it and read it, I realized it probably wasn’t helpful.

Well, I just discovered that the CE-22 I was looking at actually has a wide-thin neck profile. For whatever reason, I had it in my head that this one had the wide-fat option. So, if this neck is anything like the profile of the SE Custom 24 Floyd I had, I don't think it's going to work for me. Too much of a change from the LP neck. Although, if I understand it correctly, if I went DGT, the neck profile wouldn't matter as I wouldn't be playing my LPs anymore. :p

Well, I just discovered that the CE-22 I was looking at actually has a wide-thin neck profile. For whatever reason, I had it in my head that this one had the wide-fat option. So, if this neck is anything like the profile of the SE Custom 24 Floyd I had, I don't think it's going to work for me. Too much of a change from the LP neck. Although, if I understand it correctly, if I went DGT, the neck profile wouldn't matter as I wouldn't be playing my LPs anymore. :p

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Back