CE Singlecut..?

MQO

IMG_0700_zpsk29ldtqt.jpg

So aside from the standard production CE 24, they've come out with a few other CE's in the last year or so. The Satin Limited, the Reclaimed Limited. Maybe we'll get to see a 22 fret CE Singlecut? It would be nice to see a lower priced version of the Singlecut other than the S2 (as cool as they are).

I am sure I saw a video on youtube where Paul was discussing the CE bolt-ons vs fixed necks and he said something like "Can a bit of glue make such a difference to the tone?". I am not sure of the answer but singlecut bolt-ons are not for me.

even if they put a wiggle stick on it? just a thought :)

You know which SC I want with a wiggle stick. ;)

Single cuts are all about the neck joint and the mass that's there IMO. I love bolt-ons but because all the one's I've ever encountered were budget versions of LP's they didn't really seem especially purposeful besides being cheaper, which is kinda how I would view this proposed guitar.

The OP say's they'd like a lower priced version of a Singlecut besides the S2.. How about the SE? They're nice, I have one and it's rad. If it's all about aesthetics look at this SE: http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/so-i-got-this-beauty.22467/ I mean, that's a great lookin' guitar right there.

You know which SC I want with a wiggle stick. ;)

I sure do. me too ;)

I mean if I ever wanted an SC. Which I don't tell my girl about. that's the kind of confession that can mess up a good thing. I guess one day I can admit to being SC/DC :)

We could also say we've agreed in principle, now we're just negotiating over the number of frets :D

Last edited:
The OP say's they'd like a lower priced version of a Singlecut besides the S2.. How about the SE? They're nice, I have one and it's rad. If it's all about aesthetics look at this SE: http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/so-i-got-this-beauty.22467/ I mean, that's a great lookin' guitar right there.
Yeah, there's plenty of other alternatives. Quite frankly this seems like a solution looking for a problem. Is there any reason the OP chose this particular combination other than it doesn't exist? The whole point behind a singlecut is you're increasing the contact area of neck joint -- that does nothing on a bolt-on, except maybe add a rattle, unless you add more bolts, at least one of which will be orthogonal to the others, in which case you've defeated the point of a bolt-on.

Seems not thought through.

Yeah, there's plenty of other alternatives. Quite frankly this seems like a solution looking for a problem. Is there any reason the OP chose this particular combination other than it doesn't exist? The whole point behind a singlecut is you're increasing the contact area of neck joint -- that does nothing on a bolt-on, except maybe add a rattle, unless you add more bolts, at least one of which will be orthogonal to the others, in which case you've defeated the point of a bolt-on.

Seems not thought through.

It was mostly a conversation piece. As far as rattle on a bolt on, strictly PRS, I've owned a few CE's and none of them had a "rattle."

I could see them selling some. Heck, even if they glued the necks in, just made them out of maple, and slapped in a pair of 58/15's. Maple necks aren't really my thing, but it could perhaps get some traction in the market.

I don't understand the glued in bias. I do understand that cheaper guitar makerss used bolt on's for LP style guitars, but why would there be no bias for double cut PRSi using a bolt on neck, but lose one cut and now it is somehow inferior? If a double cut can be a quality bolt on, so can a single cut.

If I had an LP I'd sell it. Then I'd only need ten grand more for a September GOTM. :(

Ditto, to the sell it part! My R8 lasted 4 months. Traded it for a sweet Santana. Like a long lost love coming home. Now I'm looking around at was else I can move for another!

It was mostly a conversation piece. As far as rattle on a bolt on, strictly PRS, I've owned a few CE's and none of them had a "rattle."
Agreed, I really rather doubt a PRS would rattle, they'd probably have a really tight fit there. But there might be a gap, due to normal expansion and contraction, and you're increasing the area between the neck and the body, that just seems like making the design unnecessarily more challenging.

I don't understand the glued in bias. I do understand that cheaper guitar makerss used bolt on's for LP style guitars, but why would there be no bias for double cut PRSi using a bolt on neck, but lose one cut and now it is somehow inferior? If a double cut can be a quality bolt on, so can a single cut.
For my part, I don't think they're inferior, it just seems somehow ...contrary.

Solid question and a good point. I don't know if I really have an answer besides wanting my single cutaway guitars to sound "thick" for lack of a better term. I do love my CE's.

Back