Case Thoughts...

As to the original question, Mike.... wouldn’t be bad as an option. I think it would only work if you special ordered a guitar though, otherwise you end up with people not wanting to buy a guitar because of what kind of case it comes with. It’d be a pain for PRS as a whole too. Look at all the people ***** about S2 or The Mayer not coming with a hardshell. If I were smarter, I’d have ordered an ATA case with my PS, but I’d hardly use that since I gigbag that most of the time anyway.

...I accumulated a bunch of guitar and amp shipping boxes somehow that I began to realize are a fire hazard, as well as space-hogs.
That was my problem, too. So I let my wife enjoy the trip to the recycle center with all of that cardboard and I borrow one from Markie when the improbable happens. :D His mountain (20’ high, no joke) of boxes were in better condition than mine, anyway. He’s such a good guy. :cool:

BTW, the PRS gig bags still out perform most other options, for me. The latest iteration of S2 bag is awesome.

Last edited:
No doubt, hard cases offer great protection. There is one other excellent option for travel that’s kind of a “best of both worlds” thing, and 11Top made reference to it: one of the well-fitted hybrid bags.

My only experience with one was when Fender was making the John Mayer model; it came with an Incase bag. I had no interest in a Strat, but GC sold me one of the bags separately, and I used it mostly for a CU22 Soapbar whose case wasn’t in good shape. These cases had stiff foam with a lightweight shell outside the foam, under the exterior of the bag.

It fit the guitar very well; there was about the same amount of movement inside the case as the French-fit hard cases that PS and Artists come in - which is to say, almost zero. It had an excellent neck support, too.

Most protective gig bag I’ve ever seen or used. Naturally, Incase stopped making their guitar bags.

The only thing that was missing for me was that a wooden case absorbs and releases moisture just a bit, which helps buffer humidity changes, and wood tends to buffer heat and cold better than nylon and plastic. So for my usual home studio needs, I prefer a case. But for traveling? Those bags are fantastic.

I’ve since taken a look at the Reunion Blues Continental, the Mono, and the cases 11Top pointed out, and all were nice, but the now-discontinued Incase was a cut above, for real. I wish they still made them.
Ah. Yes what I didnt mention was I am very partial to the rigid poly foam hybrid cases. I have an old pod case fitted to my les paul. It is rock solid like a hard case, but with fabric outside and zips. I like it a lot. I am so used to throwing it in a car now i just consider it a "hard case". My remarks I guess are more to the high end bags where they have a single point of support for the neck but nothing to keep the neck join itself rigid or stop the body moving in relation if you follow me

I much prefer a Hard Case and would buy one if a guitar was supplied in a gig-bag. If a guitar comes with a Hard Case, I am more likely to buy. When I first started out, my first guitar was in a gig bag but I saved up to replace that with a hard case. If I was gigging with a few guitars or in a band, I would feel much happier transporting them in a vehicle, stacking them up for example on top of each other - wouldn't be happy to do that with a gig bag.

Horses for courses I guess, its easier to have a gig bag and carry the guitar on your back like a back pack than having to walk with it like a briefcase but I would still prefer to keep my guitars in Hard cases.

Reactions: JJJ
I prefer hardcases, even though they are heavy. Extra protection for precious cargo, especially when the in-laws are over (although they did break a buckle off of one case, and spilt coffee all over my amp). :eek:

My husband is a nice guy, but his parents are jerks. We both think it’s time to move out of state, an hour and thirty minute drive is not far enough away to keep guitars, an amp, and a piano safe.:confused:
My first suggestion is far cheaper!

I know we’re not supposed to discuss prices, but probably about $1.99 each from “Crime Scenes are Us”;):D

My first suggestion is far cheaper!

I know we’re not supposed to discuss prices, but probably about $1.99 each from “Crime Scenes are Us”;):D

Lol! That would be cheaper, but my neighbor who is a cop...would know something was going on. ;)

You should be using that luggage this weekend. I was seriously looking forward to buying you a beer.

Sergio might set a new BAL record If all of us who want to buy him a beer do so.

Back