Case Thoughts...

So I’ve read from some that space is an issue. What about the BOXES? I keep these as well. Fortunately, I have an office building which accommodates them, but it’s no doubt a fire hazard. I’m not talking one or two.

Small climate controlled storage space keeps all may cases (except for one paisley case I keep at home), and boxes. I used to pitch the boxes until I started flipping some stuff in the last year. Now I've got enough to tide me over, I think!

how much $ is the storage space?

Small climate controlled storage space keeps all may cases (except for one paisley case I keep at home), and boxes. I used to pitch the boxes until I started flipping some stuff in the last year. Now I've got enough to tide me over, I think!

Because I'm an HB man I gotta stick with cases, thankfully both of mine are shaped and not big heavy rectangles. My back can't take them.:oops:

if you haven’t lifted a cased rickenbacker doubleneck you haven’t lived a prog rock life. four truss rods folks!

I am the opposite. I wish more guitars, generally speaking, had an option of a fitted hard case like PRS do. I live with other people who can sometimes be idiotic and clumsy. I don't like my guitars sitting around in soft cases. I do put them in the car and travel with them, I hate hearing them shift around in the back in a soft case. The hard cases are just security, and I've never had a problem with them being too bulky or cumbersome.

Don't get me wrong, PRS make some fine gig bags. I just find a lot of the really top notch bags are the same prices or more than good sturdy hard cases, and even when they have "neck support" they will never protect the guitar's neck the way a fitted hard case does.

I am the opposite. I wish more guitars, generally speaking, had an option of a fitted hard case like PRS do. I live with other people who can sometimes be idiotic and clumsy. I don't like my guitars sitting around in soft cases. I do put them in the car and travel with them, I hate hearing them shift around in the back in a soft case. The hard cases are just security, and I've never had a problem with them being too bulky or cumbersome.

Don't get me wrong, PRS make some fine gig bags. I just find a lot of the really top notch bags are the same prices or more than good sturdy hard cases, and even when they have "neck support" they will never protect the guitar's neck the way a fitted hard case does.

No doubt, hard cases offer great protection. There is one other excellent option for travel that’s kind of a “best of both worlds” thing, and 11Top made reference to it: one of the well-fitted hybrid bags.

My only experience with one was when Fender was making the John Mayer model; it came with an Incase bag. I had no interest in a Strat, but GC sold me one of the bags separately, and I used it mostly for a CU22 Soapbar whose case wasn’t in good shape. These cases had stiff foam with a lightweight shell outside the foam, under the exterior of the bag.

It fit the guitar very well; there was about the same amount of movement inside the case as the French-fit hard cases that PS and Artists come in - which is to say, almost zero. It had an excellent neck support, too.

Most protective gig bag I’ve ever seen or used. Naturally, Incase stopped making their guitar bags.

The only thing that was missing for me was that a wooden case absorbs and releases moisture just a bit, which helps buffer humidity changes, and wood tends to buffer heat and cold better than nylon and plastic. So for my usual home studio needs, I prefer a case. But for traveling? Those bags are fantastic.

I’ve since taken a look at the Reunion Blues Continental, the Mono, and the cases 11Top pointed out, and all were nice, but the now-discontinued Incase was a cut above, for real. I wish they still made them.

541857000000000-00-500x500.jpg
incase-open-jpg.515171

This bag is amazing. In the olden days when you were allowed to bring your guitar to the Experience, I brought my DGT for signing and several PRS employees were diggin' the "bag". Actually consumes more real estate than a case, but still cool.

Been there, done that.

Yeah, horrible, right? When not moving my Hammond, I had a key bass, a combo organ, and two large amps to move, one for the key bass, the other for the organ. And the organ wasn’t light, even though it was small.

There’s a reason organ players sit down when they play. They have to! They’re exhausted!

Funny you should mention this; I don’t have a 30th of the guitars you do, but I accumulated a bunch of guitar and amp shipping boxes somehow that I began to realize are a fire hazard, as well as space-hogs.

So I decided to save only the amp-head boxes, in case factory repairs are needed, and save only a couple of guitar shipping boxes for similar purposes. I figure needing to ship more than one or two guitars at a time isn’t going to happen, and the cabinets are things I can repair myself, if need be.

Anyway, I’m in the process of clearing out as much of that junk as I can, trying not to be my usual pack-rat self.
This is what I do as well. I have 1 Archon head box and about 3 guitar boxes. I used to have 2x12 and 4x12 boxes as they’re difficult to come by, but decided that the odds of me being willing to ship those anymore is really slim. That and I don’t see myself selling any cabs, even though I have one extra right now. It’s reserved for an MT-15 someday.

Back