Carlos or Kirk? The Game.

Just because… Hahahahahahaha!

3882450_700b.jpg

Attention!Gameplay will as of now be between the days of Monday to Wednesday.

Scores for last week:

Toothace- New leader with 4.4 points. Correct answer and images.
Tosca- 3.5 half an answer and pics.
Distort6- 1.5 correct answer, no pics.
Les- 1.5
Mistasnowman- 1.25 Incorrect answer and half the pics.
JustRob- 1.25
Big Mard- 1.0 and holding.
Sekunda- 1.0 New player and "wildcard" points.

Attention!
The next three days will be essay questions where you will have to pander to my aesthetic and my opinion. You are still required to answer the question with a picture but you must also tell me why.
You will see that I alluded to this probability in my first as-of-yet unedited post: Any subjective answers to subjective questions I may give must be accepted as fact for the purpose of this game. After the game is done you may go back to believing whatever you want. You were warned.

Points are triple this round, meaning that a 100% correct answer will be worth no less than three (3) points. The same bonus "style" points will also be doubled, if you're behind in the game or just starting out, you still have a shot at the gold!

Last edited:
This is an essay question.
Question four:

Kirk just bought Peter Green's old Les Paul. Carlos' breakthrough and signature song is one of Peter Green's compositions. If Kirk and Carlos were Hiphop M.C.'s.. Which one of them would be accused of jockin', sweatin' or bitin' Peter Green's style more? And why?

Last edited:

A guitar is just a guitar - just like a cigar is just a cigar. You could put guitars from famous/fantastic players in anyone else's hands and you still won't get the tone and feel of the original, 'cuz it's in the HANDS, baby! You think I'm suddenly David Gilmour if I stole one of his Fenders from him? I WISH!

But songs are different. "Black Magic Woman" could possibly have been a breakthrough song for almost any talented newcomer. The basic structure of the song, its melody, lyrics and chord structure belong to Peter Green. Granted, Carlos expanded upon that structure exponentially, but the song had to be there first.

And look at the song - black magic woman - it that a black, magic woman as in a Nubian Princess or a black magic, woman as in a Cajun Conjurer?? You can make a case for either or BOTH from the lyrics. It doesn't hurt that Carlos is a person of color - that just adds to the sweetness if the conundrum.

Summary: only a pimpled punk would believe getting someone's great guitar (or one just like it) is gonna somehow magically cop their vibe. The real vibe (black magic in this case) exists in the music, the creation of it and the performing of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
One's initial reaction to this question would be that Carlos Santana has been the one who's style has stayed closer to that of Peter Green. Kirk Hammett, playing in the metal genre, could hardly be called a blues player, even though his style draws from that very genre.
However, that is not today's question. If Carlos and Kirk were both hip hop MCs, I don't think either would be accused of squeezing Peter Green for style points. Carlos would be...well, Carlos. Kirk would still be stealing from Dave Mustaine, NOT Peter Green. I would give style points to Kirk for the red outfit.

Hip Hop Carlos

Hip Hop Kirk

Whoa! Only two players today. The correct answer is Carlos! Kirk may be doing the equivalent of wearing L.L. Cool J's nasty used Kangol on stage, but the first rule of being an MC is No Bitin'! Ever see a Hiphop cover band? Alive that is?

I'm giving both players three points for giving it their all though...

That means the top three are:
Toothace- In the lead with 7.4 points!
Tosca- slipping down to second with 3.5
Ruger- jumping in and landing third with 3.0

Gotta play to win!!!

Attention! This is an essay question. Pics still required for a correct answer. This will be worth 3 points with an addition "Bangin'! Bonus" of one point to the person right or wrong with the best pic.

Question five:

Who has a better mustache and why?

rockroll-045-carlos-santana.jpg

A mustache is a very personal thing. For time immemorial, adolescent boys have dreamed of the day their milkstache would morph into a full blown manly mustache. Just look at that bushy perfection on Carlos. A crumb-brusher, flavor-saver to be be proud of.

What you don't see is kids stealing their mom's eyeliner and painting in a wussy, pencil-thin excuse. Well, you didn't see it in my neighborhood unless the kid wanted a one-way ticket to atomic wedgieville. That 'stache on Hammett shouldn't even be considered facial hair. It's a bad joke that makes him look like he forgot to wash up after a meal drowned by chocolate lattes. A crime in itself.

Carlos for the (manly) win! Just to prove his manlyness and good taste, he's staring at my avatar pic. And because she appreciates a great mustache, she's staring back.

Bill (who has never shaved his upper lip even once in his whole life)

Last edited:
Some classic mustaches...

I could go on an on, however I think you can see my point. These 'staches are full-bodied, soup straining, snack saving, lady pleasing(if ya know what I mean:wink:) declarations of manhood. Only one of our guitarists has ever (and still does) carry one off...Carlos Santana.

Kirk is trying, but much like his hip hop attempts at fashion, misses the mark....

The correct answer is Carlos! His mustache is one of legends, Kirk is tryin' and I admire his tenacity but between the two? Carlos. fer sure.

Top three:
Toothace- still leading with 10.4 points!
Ruger- Winner of the bonus point for best pic, coming from behind with 8.0.
Tosca- 3.5.

Question Six:

Both Kirk and Carlos have signature guitars made by manufacturers with three letter names, name and post the finest example of the superior signature guitar and tell me why?

You got to be kidding me, right? Asking who's signature guitar is better on this forum???

There can be no other answer but a PRS Santana.

But which one? A PS Santana? A Santana I? A Santana II? A Santana III? An Artist Santana? A Santana Limited (do they exist?)?

No - all wrong.

The bestest Santana is the imminently affordable original Santana SE. Why? Because it is quite simply a player's guitar. Suitable for the student or the pro, this guitar is the flagship if the SE line and any guitarist should consider themselves fortunate to have one in their stable.

I here present my 2003 Santana SE in Marine Blue. (no fair knocking off points because it is blue. Sergio.)

sse.jpg

Last edited:
I kind of hate to jump into the game. I also really hate to disagree with Bill, who I deeply respect (and he knows it!), but he's flat out wrong.

Kirk Hammett had the superior signature guitar, for several reasons:

esp-ouija.jpg

• Kirk's were put out under two company names - ESP and LTD, Santana's under PRS. Six letters versus three.
  • For that matter, Kirk's has the alphabet on it - 32 letters vs. three.
  • Carlos claims his PRS allows him to get in touch with his spiritual side. Kirk's lets you get in touch with the entire spiritual world.
  • Carlos's fretboard has birds. Kirk's has moons - AND stars. And no little green clovers. Kirk don't need no lucky charms.
  • Kirk never tried to pass off his guitar as a doctor, a la Santana MD.
  • Plus, as you can clearly see, the Kirk sig is a better bargain - it says right on the front, GOOD BYE.

Alan, you selected a nonPRS in a question about "superiors signature guitar" on the official PRS Forum?!?!!?

Oh, the humanities.

h0D13B977

Is this another trick question??

Carlos all the way.

I offer a couple pics of my work-in-progress Santana SE...

Back