Can you repair a low string slot?

Yeah, and I'm not responding to that - not giving rugerpc and excuse to ban me!

(Just think lights out...)

Alan, you're the bomb! I need to make a trip to the City of Bridges so we can hoist an IC (or Yuengling)! I was though there last year on the way to Gettysburg. Huge Steeler fan, but haven't been to a game in 8 years.

For the sake of clarity here is the stock SE nut that I removed from my guitar.

24cdr87.jpg

I guess when it is not fully solid we save some material during the injection molding build process (if this is the correct process), or maybe what we are seeing are tone chambers :) Just wish they would not use glue that is so severe. The nut itself was fine but I changed it for a bone contender more for the sake of something to do. The replacement nut is presently held in there by tension on my stoptail guitar and it will remain this way so long as I am daddy. On the grand scale of things this little mishap is not too bad at all really. Could have been worse but if anyone is considering changing their SE nuts then maybe the safest course of action would be to dremel the thing away.

I guess when it is not fully solid we save some material during the injection molding build process (if this is the correct process), or maybe what we are seeing are tone chambers :) Just wish they would not use glue that is so severe. The nut itself was fine but I changed it for a bone contender more for the sake of something to do. The replacement nut is presently held in there by tension on my stoptail guitar and it will remain this way so long as I am daddy. On the grand scale of things this little mishap is not too bad at all really. Could have been worse but if anyone is considering changing their SE nuts then maybe the safest course of action would be to dremel the thing away.
Thanks!
Did you tap it out with a hammer? Curious.....

Sure, one firm tap using a small hammer and a short length of wood. And there was very little to score away beforehand. Just one of life's "feeling lucky, punk?" moments ☺

Last week I bought a used Stripped 58 which I love, the problem is the D nut slot is cut too deep causing the string to rattle on the first fret.

Question: is it possible to fill the slot with something to build it up a bit? I really don't want to replace the nut, the action is perfect on all the other strings...

Thank you in advance!

the quickest and dirtiest fix I have ever seen is to cut a piece of old string (in your case a D string) to fit in the nut slot, then run your existing string over that

the quickest and dirtiest fix I have ever seen is to cut a piece of old string (in your case a D string) to fit in the nut slot, then run your existing string over that
I could see that if you in a "pinch" at a gig or something that would most likely work....

A friend used to do it - the only deal is you can't have any of the cut piece sticking out on the fretboard side of the nut, obviously. I could never tell by looking at it or listening that there was a problem.

Back