Can you repair a low string slot?

Luke Gibson

Last week I bought a used Stripped 58 which I love, the problem is the D nut slot is cut too deep causing the string to rattle on the first fret.

Question: is it possible to fill the slot with something to build it up a bit? I really don't want to replace the nut, the action is perfect on all the other strings...

Thank you in advance!

Superglue and baking soda.

Edit: or $12-14 for a new nut and... superglue. Superglue is always a part of the equation. It's the salt of cooking in the guitar world. :)

Haven't tried the baking soda trick but I have used graphite, pencil lead filings and super glue before. The nut is still in use and no noticeable change in tone. Be sure to secure both ends of the slot with some tape first to avoid spillage.

Update:

The suggestions worked great! I had an old graphite nut in my parts stash and sanded it to get some dust and mixed it with super glue to "build up" the slot, went back with a StewMac nut file slowly cutting and checking along the way. Easy fix, no more buzz..... Thanks Again!

Update:

The suggestions worked great! I had an old graphite nut in my parts stash and sanded it to get some dust and mixed it with super glue to "build up" the slot, went back with a StewMac nut file slowly cutting and checking along the way. Easy fix, no more buzz..... Thanks Again!

Woooo hooooo....happy ending!

It seems to me that it is so cheap to buy a new one - why not?????

They are cheap, I actually ordered a couple from PRS a couple days ago..... I've seen that PRS uses super glue to adhere the nut to the guitar, I was afraid I would damage the guitar trying to get it off..... You have to "score" around the nut to keep from pulling up the finish and use a small hammer to tap the nut loose, it probably would have been quicker but more risky possibly damaging the guitar!

Cheers!

Last edited:
I have heard of some people actually grinding and filing away the nut completely to avoid lifting the wood below. A while back I changed a stock SE nut for bone. Scored very carefully like you do then went for the tap. Not my lucky day. The nut was super glued mostly across the whole width of the neck and a bit of material from below came away with it. Not a lot, and my replacement nut made good the crime scene, but why the need for so much glue. One tiny drop in the middle is all that is needed, or none at all.

I have heard of some people actually grinding and filing away the nut completely to avoid lifting the wood below. A while back I changed a stock SE nut for bone. Scored very carefully like you do then went for the tap. Not my lucky day. The nut was super glued mostly across the whole width of the neck and a bit of material from below came away with it. Not a lot, and my replacement nut made good the crime scene, but why the need for so much glue. One tiny drop in the middle is all that is needed, or none at all.

That was my concern Charlie, I've watched the PRS tour videos and remember them saying they make sure it's clean tight fit and use super glue to attach the nut... I've never seen anyone remove a PRS nut. I would like to.....

I have not seen the videos that you mention but PRS are not the only ones doing this. If a nut is a nice tight fit, what is the glue for, the tone?

My modest collection of nylon strung guitars all have tension fit nuts.

Back