Can i get plexi sounds with Original Sewell?

jtgblade

I have Original Sewell amp and i love it, but i think has a lot of gain, I use the amp with my PRS Custom 24 20th, is a good combinitanion. I play Classic Rock and modern Rock, Led Zeppelin, ACDC, Eagles, Foo Fighters, etc...

I,d like found a good point for this kind of music.

Sorry for my english and thanks a lot.

I posted a thread about a Pete Thorn video where he describes how he sets up a Plexi.

You might try those settings and see how they work with the Sewell.

The HXDA, of course, does Plexi all day long.

I posted a thread about a Pete Thorn video where he describes how he sets up a Plexi.

You might try those settings and see how they work with the Sewell.

The HXDA, of course, does Plexi all day long.

Thanks for your reply, I saw Pete Thorn video and I think is very interesting and helpfull.

Can the HXDA get aggressive Steve Stevens 69 plexi tones?

I’m pretty sure I’ve never heard Steve Stevens play guitar except on a demo of a Fulltone tape echo (?), so I don’t know.

A lot of the LA guys had their Plexis modded back in the day.

Today I tried my HXDA on the Pete Thorn settings just for grins, with my 20th Private Stock Anniversary Ltd. guitar, with its pretty hot pickups, and I got what I’d consider to be the same tones Pete got in his video, no problem, though all I used was a 2x12 with V-30s, not a 4x12 with Greenbacks. You wanna talk LOUD? Yeah. Loud.

And you probably heard the tones Tim Pierce got in his video demo of the HXDA. Tim says he has a ‘69 Plexi and that the HXDA does ‘69 Plexi. So, judge for yourself, but I’d guess if Steve Stevens had an un-modded ‘69 Plexi to get his tones, the HXDA could do it. Just a guess.

I saw somewhere that Stevens has a signature overdrive pedal of some kind now, so maybe he uses pedals?

I'm gonna say not without something in front of it. At least I couldn't when I had mine.

Wait, what about the gain sounds Pete Thorn got...that was plenty of gain for anything I’d imagine, and I got those tones easily without even a 4x12.

You’re saying you dimed the Master volume - that’s key - dimed both gains, dimed the mids, dimed the Presence, and didn’t get arrested within ten seconds? That’s pretty good! I’m pretty sure my house was ready to shake apart with just a 2x12 today, and I only used the 30 Watt version! :eek:

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure I’ve never heard Steve Stevens play guitar, so I don’t know.

A lot of the LA guys had their Plexis modded back in the day.

Today I tried my HXDA on the Pete Thorn settings just for grins, with my 20th Private Stock Anniversary Ltd. guitar, with its pretty hot pickups, and I got what I’d consider to be the same tones Pete got in his video, no problem, though all I used was a 2x12 with V-30s, not a 4x12 with Greenbacks. You wanna talk LOUD? Yeah. Loud.

And you probably heard the tones Tim Pierce got in his video demo of the HXDA. So, judge for yourself.

Wait, what about the gain sounds Pete Thorn got...that was plenty of gain for anything I’d imagine, and I got those tones easily without even a 4x12.

You’re saying you dimed the Master volume - that’s key - dimed both gains, dimed the mids, dimed the Presence, and didn’t get arrested within ten seconds? That’s pretty good! I’m pretty sure my house was ready to shake apart with just a 2x12 today, and I only used the 30 Watt version! :eek:

It's been a minute, but I would be pretty sure that I didn't dime the Master. Well, let me say it like this....I may have dimed the Master, but Gain would have have been somewhere south of "rattling the ceiling tiles" due to my living constraints. I just couldn't get what I was looking for at anything but "call the cops" volumes. Hence, my journey down the Kemper hole. Which led to much angst and option paralysis. Enter the Bogner Atma, and my pronblems were solved. Of course, the Archon gets most of my love, and an MT-15 is on order. The HXDA was awesome, but not for my situation. That said, I'm not sure it could get those Steve Stevens tones that Elvis asked about.

It's been a minute, but I would be pretty sure that I didn't dime the Master. Well, let me say it like this....I may have dimed the Master, but Gain would have have been somewhere south of "rattling the ceiling tiles" due to my living constraints. I just couldn't get what I was looking for at anything but "call the cops" volumes. Hence, my journey down the Kemper hole. Which led to much angst and option paralysis. Enter the Bogner Atma, and my pronblems were solved. Of course, the Archon gets most of my love, and an MT-15 is on order. The HXDA was awesome, but not for my situation. That said, I'm not sure it could get those Steve Stevens tones that Elvis asked about.

Well, it can sure get loud when maxed like that. I was kinda worried that someone in my complex might call the cops, and only played it like that for 30 secs or so. But it did get the Pete tones.

As I said, I’m so unfamiliar with Stevens’ actual recording work that I just don’t know.

Those tones Pete and Tim did weren't Stevens level of gain. If he used a Plexi, he had it modded, used boost/OD pedals, or both.

Then I tried differents settings, I think all knobs at noon is a good point. Original Sewell is amazing.

Back