Callaham Replacement Bridge

GavQuinn

http://www.callahamguitars.com

Hewwo Fwends,

Just looking to see if anyone tried this Callaham bridge? (Go to the link, scroll down) I'll bet it's great, I've heard their Nashville bridge and tailpiece, etc is pretty epic. More solid, higher grade metal and a reputation to beat the band.

I'm interested if anyone has any feedback, but I don't see why a manufacturer that makes claims such as:

"They (PRS Stoptails) are "nasally", lack note separation, lack sustain, and an imbalanced frequency response. Using our steel tailpiece will transform these instruments to a full range response"

without recording some simple before and after tone samples. If I could hear a difference, and it appealed to my tastes, I'd pick one up in a heartbeat.

I just ordered another Schroeder stop tail bridge (with locking posts) to put on an Se with P90's. I've tried everything else except the Callahan. Mike Garvey put me on to the Schroeder, and I love it. Eventually they'll be on all my stoptails. They seem to even out the response beautifully.

"But I cannot get passed the frequency response. [emphasis added]."

Funny, I have no problem with the PRS tailpiece's tone, I just can't get past the sloppy use of the English language in Callaham's website.

Then again, why anyone would think that Callaham would have a better idea of what sounds good on a PRS than Paul R. Smith is another question. The PRS bridge is proven, and you can be sure that Paul tested steel, brass and other materials before settling on his aluminum bridge.

I want one of these

3582ccz.jpg

on my S2 Mira SH

Then again, why anyone would think that Callaham would have a better idea of what sounds good on a PRS than Paul R. Smith is another question. The PRS bridge is proven, and you can be sure that Paul tested steel, brass and other materials before settling on his aluminum bridge.

I was thinking the same exact thing. If it really sounded better, it wouldn't exist because PRS would be doing it already.

I noticed the other day that they changed the truss rod cover material. My new 2014 HB II has a cover that pings like a piece of brass when you tap on it. I think they're using the same material from the nuts now to make the cover. That's how much they think of the little things.

I'm interested if anyone has any feedback, but I don't see why a manufacturer that makes claims such as:

"They (PRS Stoptails) are "nasally", lack note separation, lack sustain, and an imbalanced frequency response. Using our steel tailpiece will transform these instruments to a full range response"

without recording some simple before and after tone samples. If I could hear a difference, and it appealed to my tastes, I'd pick one up in a heartbeat.

Good point. I guess it's a point that's not widely held, but I think that stop tail works great. That being said, I do think I'd prefer a tune o magic or string through body. I want more vibrations/resonance, etc, and my SC isn't great in that regard. I've heard great things about their tune o matic for Elle Pee types. I've heard it makes everything fuller, louder, etc.

I was thinking the same exact thing. If it really sounded better, it wouldn't exist because PRS would be doing it already.

I noticed the other day that they changed the truss rod cover material. My new 2014 HB II has a cover that pings like a piece of brass when you tap on it. I think they're using the same material from the nuts now to make the cover. That's how much they think of the little things.

I wouldn't trust any big business to 'spare no expense'. Besides, If so many PRS pickups are swapped, why'd he do that? I love the guitars, but I'm not wearing rose coloured glasses, I do see a few (very few, but still there) areas where I think things could be better.

"But I cannot get passed the frequency response. [emphasis added]."

Funny, I have no problem with the PRS tailpiece's tone, I just can't get past the sloppy use of the English language in Callaham's website.

No reason to assume that one has it all worked out. I think the stop tail is ok, but bright and doesn't add resonance on my guitar. And I trust my own judgement in most things, rather than listen to every word someone else says, you know?
That said too, I know enough about metals to know that stainless cold rolled is harder and heavier than aluminium*. It's more expensive too. Aluminium's main mode of usage it that's it's recyclable, but strong and light.

* Let's not pick at peoples correct use of English, shall we?

I think the stop tail is ok, but bright and doesn't add resonance on my guitar.
Sorry mate but that doesn't make sense (to me) for a couple of reasons:

1. How can you make this statement when you haven't tried a bunch of different bridges (material/construction) on your guitar? I can't pick exactly what is affecting what on any of my guitars (body wood/type, neck wood/type, fb wood, pickups, tuners, bridge, scale length etc) because no 2 guitars are the same, and I very rarely change a component on a guitar and record the differences, plus my memory for nuances of tone doesn't extend past how long it takes me to change a component.

2. By definition of resonance, you're making a false statement. If the bridge is "bright", then it is adding resonance in the "higher" frequencies.

That said too, I know enough about metals to know that stainless cold rolled is harder and heavier than aluminium*. It's more expensive too. Aluminium's main mode of usage it that's it's recyclable, but strong and light.

Aluminium is also used a lot because it's highly conductive and forms a protective oxide layer. Both materials work harden though, but all of that means stuff all when talking guitar bridges. Harder? Heavier? Does that mean "better"?

More expensive? Yes, and also harder to machine, but why assume PRS is compromising on cost here?

As for "aluminium" vs "aluminum", both spellings are accepted, and "aluminum" even more so being a US guitar/site. I think "aluminum" sounds funny, but that's because I'm Australian.

The whole sales pitch is a bit slimy:

Callaham Steel PRS styled Stopbar Tailpiece

This item will be very limited production occurring only a few times a year. It will fit any PRS Guitar that uses their stopbar tailpiece. PRS Guitars are some of the most beautiful guitars made. But I can not get passed the frequence response. They are "nasally", lack note separation, lack sustain, and [have] an imbalanced frequency response. Using our steel tailpiece will transform these instruments to [produce] a full range response. All the problems associated with the PRS tone will be gone. There are so many of you that just look at your PRS on a stand while you play something else. With our tailpiece, you will play the PRS.

And his use or misuse of English is fair game. He has a product to sell. How he presents it colors the gravity of his claims. Are we to trust the claims of a company that doesn't proofread it's ads?

Before and after tone samples would help...

Last edited:

I noticed the same thing on my S2... I was surprised, but didn't know if the Maryland made models have always been that way, since its my first one. But still, incredible attention to detail, and reassuring that they do that extra little bit even on the S2's.

No reason to assume that one has it all worked out. I think the stop tail is ok, but bright and doesn't add resonance on my guitar. And I trust my own judgement in most things, rather than listen to every word someone else says, you know?

I agree, one has to do what one thinks best based on our own ears! However, I'm very happy with the tone of my guitars, and if I wasn't, I wouldn't have bought them in the first place.

Whether a different sound arising from the use of alternative materials is actually an improvement is a matter of subjective judgment. Everyone's entitled to make their own decisions about this. I can't disagree with you.

I tend to doubt the credibility of people who make grammatical errors. That's a snooty prejudice on my part, as there's obviously no connection between one's ability to use the right spelling and one's ability to recognize good tone or manufacture desirable goods. Mea culpa.

Sorry mate but that doesn't make sense (to me) for a couple of reasons:

1. How can you make this statement when you haven't tried a bunch of different bridges (material/construction) on your guitar? I can't pick exactly what is affecting what on any of my guitars (body wood/type, neck wood/type, fb wood, pickups, tuners, bridge, scale length etc) because no 2 guitars are the same, and I very rarely change a component on a guitar and record the differences, plus my memory for nuances of tone doesn't extend past how long it takes me to change a component.

Fair enough, but I'm a credential led player and I know my own ear. I personally think a 2 Piece bridge or a string through variant could be more resonant. I'm basing this on experience of ownership. I do notice nuances if they are there, I don't trick myself into things. I can hear if a pickup swap was pointless for example, or if an all mahogany guitar is up against a maple cap. One doesn't always need to record to hear differences.

2. By definition of resonance, you're making a false statement. If the bridge is "bright", then it is adding resonance in the "higher" frequencies.

What a lot of people mean by resonance, is the vibrations that get through the body. Surely you'd understand that? The SC I have now is not particularly buzzy or sustainy. This feeling is pleasing to most players and often comes with a nicer woody tone.

Aluminium is also used a lot because it's highly conductive and forms a protective oxide layer. Both materials work harden though, but all of that means stuff all when talking guitar bridges. Harder? Heavier? Does that mean "better"?

More expensive? Yes, and also harder to machine, but why assume PRS is compromising on cost here?

Because it's what businesses do. The bridge of the terms used to be all brass, if they are still I don't know. Brass is better for vibrations and sustain but costs more. I have a Yamaha with a mahoosive all brass bridge tailpiece, it sounds epic.

As for "aluminium" vs "aluminum", both spellings are accepted, and "aluminum" even more so being a US guitar/site. I think "aluminum" sounds funny, but that's because I'm Australian.

It's aluminium, you're Australian, you know how to say AL-YOU-MINI-UM, you can say it right. :top: (jest..)

I wouldn't worry about his English, my Dad is an expert in his field but doesn't use 100% proper grammar at all times. Besides, it's probably a cheap website. Again, see above regarding businesses saving costs.

Tjena GavQuinn!Yes I use Callaham block in my american standard strat.I really like steelblocks.Have a custom made steelblock for PRS too.Tuning is better with original PRS brassblock,Callaham use narrow stringchannels.Will use it in a future project.Tonewise I think steel is abit more focused than brass,tight as I call it :).But with that said I think PRS trems sounds great today.Will not change block in my DGT.

Last edited:
Without head to head sound clips changing nothing but the bridge, how can anyone really tell?

If someone knows their instrument, then they MAY be able to tell a difference. I can tell a difference between certain parts changed. Changing a tele's bridge saddles fro example. produced a change I noticed immediately. The difference may be lost to some over a recording, but may cause the guitar to vibrate differently. If this improves the instrument for the user, fair enough.

Back