Better option for MT15 head?

• Marshall 1936 212 G12T-75

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Harley Benton G112V V30

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

filip989

Hi everyone,

I'd need a fairly urgent advice on a cab for MT15 head.
I've been trying to sell my JVM210C (don't like the brit drive and fell in love with the MT15) and since the market seems to be bad atm, I've decided to take a lowball offer from a music shop. Basically, that will leave me enough money to get a cheap cab (precisely enough for the Harley Benton).

I have another option which is taking my friend's 1936 with 2 G12T-75 speakers. I'd pay him the price of the Benton now and then the same amount in a few months as I cannot add more money towards the gear right now.

I'll try out his cab when I get the head, but cannot try the Benton until I buy it first.

For me it's like this:
Pro's:
212, possibly would be better for gigs
Possible con's:
I've read these speakers don't really work too well until there's loads of volume and that 15w heads really don't push them enough.

Harley Benton:
Pro's:
Cheap
V30 should theoretically work better with the MT15
Better for home use
With time I could add a second one or just take out the speaker and get another one and put them into an empty cab - or sell the thing completely, since it's really cheap I don't expect to have much problems selling it when I have some more dispensable cash laying around

Con's:
112 - might be a bit on the weak side (band mate has a 4x12 Bogner)
We play hard rock covers of 80's/90's pop, some old and new rock/hard rock, some heavy metal. On my own I like to play more modern hard stuff too.
Can't try it before buying and for it's price, returning it to thomann inside 30 days would be a hassle I'd probably avoid.

I know there's probably tons of threads like this, but I haven't found one where the 11w benton is mentioned, so that's why I'm openning a new one.

Basically, my current state is that I'd only get the 1936 if it sounds really good when I try it out. But until then, I'd like to hear from people who might have tried it before, or possibly the benton as well.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help!

Cheers

Also consider the Electro Harmonix 2 x 12 cabinet. Good reviews(It's basically a Sovtek) and Sweetwater has EZ Pay...

That Harley Benton cab gets great reviews, not just for the money. But a 2x12 will push more air and likely sound bigger.

That's exactly my dilema. I presume the amp works best with a V30 too, since the MT 112 cab has a V30 as well. But yeah, 212 does have its advantages, no matter the speaker

I've read these speakers don't really work too well until there's loads of volume and that 15w heads really don't push them enough.

Lack of volume will be the least of your concerns w/the MT15. It's plenty loud. Don't judge just by the wattage - I also have a Budda Superdrive 18. I don't think I've ever had the master above about 3, and it's plenty loud.

Also consider the Electro Harmonix 2 x 12 cabinet. Good reviews(It's basically a Sovtek) and Sweetwater has EZ Pay...
I'm in Croatia (EU), no EH dealers have anything in stock but pedals and I cannot even find it on thomann or other eu music shops i know of

Back