Bwa ha. Bwa ha ha! Bwa ha ha ha ha!!!

shinksma

What? I get a title?
My evil plan is coming together very nicely...

My wife and I play in a band. I sing and play guitar/mandolin/banjo/bass, and she sings (backing harmonies, mostly) and plays various percussion instruments like Bodhran, Cajon, cabasa, and so on.

Backstory: We have another percussionist in the band, and he is a founding member. He travels with his wife, and occasionally can't make a gig because he is in the south of France or Ireland or whatever. That is how my wife got involved in percussion - we noticed she had a flair for it, so we roped her into being a back-up percussionist. But this means my wife doesn't get to play as much interesting stuff if our main guy is playing - she gets relegated to light cabasa mostly, and becomes primarily just a backing vocalist. Now that will possibly change over the next year or two, as he is shifting into a more travel-abroad lifestyle, and my wife may end up being the core percussionist.

However, Mrs shinksma would still like to do "something else" at times. At an informal band practice on the weekend she picked up my mandolin while we were all playing guitars and did a little light strumming on the open strings. Since we were playing in G (I think), it worked well enough to sound good. This sparked something.

So the next night I had her play a little with the mandolin, fretting a note here and there, to see if she liked it enough the next day. She still seemed interested. So last night I got her to run a few notes up and down on one of the strings (technically, one of the string courses), and then did the same on an electric guitar. The intent was to see what she found easier/more natural. The mando can be a bit difficult due to the tightness of the spacing and the firmness of the strings, but it is a smaller instrument, and she is smaller than me. It turns out she was indeed more comfortable on the guitar.

So now I'm going to teach her some basics on guitar. She'll use one of my shorter scale PRSi to start, probably the SE ZM, because her hands are smaller than mine (and I have smallish hands for a guy). We did a quick compare with a 25" scale guitar (Vela) and the 24.5" ZM, and the ZM seemed to work better. Maybe just placebo effect. :shrug:

I know this will be a long-ish road, but hopefully I can help her learn this new instrument enough so that within a year or so she can strum along with the rest of us...

Now I can say I am buying guitars for the both of us. Bwa ha. Bwa ha ha! Bwa ha ha ha ha h-choke, splutter.

Um, sorry. Yes, my evil plan is coming together.

Wouldn't she learn faster/better on a Private Stock she helped pick the woods and finish for?

...just sayin'
That is an excellent suggestion! :D

She played her first D chord tonight. Got it clean after just a few attempts. I think she'll be a faster learner than me.

That is an excellent suggestion! :D

She played her first D chord tonight. Got it clean after just a few attempts. I think she'll be a faster learner than me.
Better start learning how to play that cajon! ;-)

Awesome! But what if SHE's manipulating YOU for new gear???:rolleyes:
Oh, she gets new gear all the time. We were at a music festival last month and she was eager to point out the cajon one of the drummers played for a song or three - she'd mentioned cajons a few times, so this seemed like a good hint again, so we went out and got her a really good one.
Better start learning how to play that cajon! ;-)
Well, I can play it, and it does sound good, so I wouldn't mind swapping eventually every now and then!
I dunno man... doesn't sound to evil to me.:rolleyes:
Sounds really cool!
Yeah, I suppose so. :oops:

One of the cool side-effects of teaching some basics, including theory, is I get to exercise my mind and refresh some stuff for me that maybe hadn't been used in a while.

Bangin'!

Man, I bought my girl a sparkled pink guitar for her birthday the second year we were going out. Taught her one Sly and the Family Stone song... and know her brother has it. :(

My wife plays the cowbell.
The rhythm guitarist in the band plays cowbell for one of my songs that has a bucolic nature to it.

So, more interesting stuff to mention:

I recently took action to procure another guitar - should be here Monday, so I'll do a NGD for it then, hopefully. Because I am now buying guitars "for both of us", my wife decided that she was going to pick out a matching guitar strap for it! So one has been ordered, might be here later today.

And in a very good development for her percussion-side of life: last night we had an informal band practice/jam, and after some jamming in our usual spot (the home pub areas of the house - hey, easy access to drinks while we play!) we migrated to the home theater/music room upstairs, where I keep my Archon and a drum kit (and other stuff). So I got to plug into my Archon for the first time in a while, and my wife finally decided she was going to tackle a full drum kit (vs the hand percussion such as bodhran, cabasa, etc she usually plays). It is a big drum kit - the usual core of snare, kick, and hi-hat, plus two crash cymbals, a ride cymbal, two normal toms, two floor toms, and four concert toms. Plus a cowbell and tambourine. She had been extremely intimidated by the kit originally, but this time she decided to go all out, and man, she rocked! I have never seen someone get behind the kit for the first time and seem so bloody natural! And not just keeping a steady rhythm, adding in tasteful fills and soft trills on the crash and ride.

I played a variety of PRSi, and I continue to be amazed at the consistency PRS has across the product line - I played my SE ZM, a core Santana, and a core 305. (Plus a banjo - I finally got around to learning Old Man by Neil Young). The ZM felt just as good, and played just as fine, as the Santana and 305.

Oh, and the Archon rocked, as always!

To say the least, the band had a great jam-practice, and I hope it carries over into tonight's gig! (Without full drum kit, unfortunately!)

Back