Buying new vs used

fgeorge097

Obviously the temptation to just buy used is there - save a crap load of money.

But I don't know if I will really bond to the used guitar. I like knowing that nobody else's grubby hands were ever on my new PRS.

Anybody else been in this position and can share?

I've bought multiple used and have had no let downs. The only one I've bought new was an SE back in like 2008.

I have zero issues buying PRS used as long as you know what to look for or are handy with doing setups.

I have both new and used.
Some of the used ones are models I could never afford new.
But a new unmolested guitar can be a special thing :)

My first PRS was new. I have found most used. I have no issues with either. New you get the warranty which usually isn't needed with a PRS but as I type, PRS is working on my SE50 so it has come in handy in this one case. I've also had to have the PTC level and dress the frets on a used one so that was another expenditure. Still it was worth it. If you find what you want used, buy it. If you find it new, buy it. Seems pretty simple. I don't worry much about someone else holding it first. Didn't hurt it any.

I prefer new by a small margin. As has been mentioned elsewhere, you really want that warranty -- even if you don't need it. That said, you can save a truckload of money buying used, and then you have to pay for warranty service, which is fine -- it's still probably cheaper that way.

But nothing beats that new guitar smell.

Were it not for used, I would not have a PRS at all. Their cheaper lines don't appeal to me, and I would never have spent the $xxxx required to get my 408 new (I spent just over half that). Now, having owned one awhile, I **would**consider spending that... so we could consider used PRS the "gateway drug" to a dangerous PRS addiction

Last edited by a moderator:
I like what I like. New, used... doesn't matter so much.

But... where I live there isn't a large market for PRS. Not much available on the used side, and a lot of what does become available is still expensive.

The thing I like about used is there are still a lot of really good discontinued models available on the used market and at fairly reasonable prices.

I buy for specific instruments, always looking for the "magic" sound and/or neck. Mint, beat up......it doesn`t matter. I`ve bought both ways. Just give me one that speaks to me (or 2,3,4,5.....)

There is something to say about a brand new guitar with a warranty, that is set up perfectly from the factory, that when you open the case you can catch a buzz on the whiff. There is also something to say about buying a used guitar that cost you half of the sale price of a new piece.

I have had positive experiences with both options, and at least 30 transactions later, I still do not have a preference. At the end of the day, I want a guitar that is playable to me and has great tone. If it looks good, that's even better.

Both have worked for me for a long time, so I'd buy a used one that sounds amazing and looks mint, but I do have a preference for new. I like the peace of mind of a warranty (and have used it a couple of times).

Of course, the smell when opening the case on a new PRS is better than getting a new car.

The nice thing about PRS guitars is their level of consistency. There's rarely a bad one in the bunch (I would say never but I'm not omniscient). I've bought new and used and loved them all.

I buy for specific instruments, always looking for the "magic" sound and/or neck. Mint, beat up......it doesn`t matter. I`ve bought both ways. Just give me one that speaks to me (or 2,3,4,5.....)
Gotta say, I do not like to buy used instruments that are worn. An instrument needs to be in great-excellent (or better) condition for me to consider purchasing it. After that, of course it still has to sound great and play great etc.

It wasn't planned this way, but
all but one of my guitars were purchased new.
And all but one of my amps were bought used.

I have no problem going either way. The only time I put the brakes on buying used is if they smell. I was planning on buying Telecaster from a gigging guy I worked with. I opened that case and it reeked of every dive bar he played. Smoke, sweat, stale beer, piss.....pass!

I've bought new and used. I currently have 1 new (CU22 bought in '96) and 2 used. Most used Core PRS guitars that I have come across have been in pretty much excellent to brand new condition. I was even looking to get a well used one so I didn't mind it getting banged when I travel. They were hard to find for me. The ones I did find weren't really much cheaper.

When buying, I usually first figure out what model and specs I want. Then start searching for that model (new or used) and get the best deal I can get my hands on.

Oh, and my '96 CU22 still smells the same to me when I open the case as it did back in '96. Not sure how or why...

Back