But really, when are we going to start collaborating?

andy474x

Knows the Drill
Ok guys, I asked this in Les' "More Clips, Less Talk" thread, but I'm serious... I know enough of us have software and interfaces to do it, why haven't we made any music together? We could get some groups together and lay down parts one by one, store them in a common dropbox or something like that. Or, we could try a skype-like jam session software like Jamkazam.

I know we aren't going to sell records and go on world tour, but we have the capabilities to have some fun, even if only once in a great while. Who's in?

Do you need some savy computer skills to do this ?

Negative, just a recording interface of some kind, and software on your computer to record with. For example, I have a Focusrite Scarlett interface that I can use to either mic my amp, or plug a guitar right in and record directly using an amp simulator. Then you just need the software to actually capture the recording - I think many interfaces come with at least a "light version" of recording software. My Scarlett came with a light version of Ableton. Depending on what kind of setup you go for, you can get into a good beginner's setup for $300, maybe less. It will make you a better player!

Negative, just a recording interface of some kind, and software on your computer to record with. For example, I have a Focusrite Scarlett interface that I can use to either mic my amp, or plug a guitar right in and record directly using an amp simulator. Then you just need the software to actually capture the recording - I think many interfaces come with at least a "light version" of recording software. My Scarlett came with a light version of Ableton. Depending on what kind of setup you go for, you can get into a good beginner's setup for $300, maybe less. It will make you a better player!
I am not very good with the computer end of guitar playing, where computer skills are required. I did do a three song " EP " on " I - TUNES " , titled " SILK-N-WOOD. IT was a sample ep for a friend. Give it a listen.IT's FREE.

Last edited:
It would be fun!!

Maybe people should be divided into groups, so not too many guitar tracks on each song :) . An obvious method of division would be by genre preferences.

I'd be happy to lay down bass or drums (midi) for something like this, apart from guitar.

Someone's gotta be the wet blanket...

It's a cool idea at first blush, but it's very difficult to see a vision for a song through without at least a little personal, play-it-together, interaction, and some guidance, leadership, and input (or at least discussion) from the song's writer. I say this from experience having done a lot of remote sessions in my work.

On this it's even less collaborative than it might otherwise be, because all the collaborators play the same instrument. At best, one winds up with a mishmash of remote guitar solos played over a pre-recorded bed. I guess you could call that collaboration, but not very satisfying.

This is probably why very few listenable records result from collaborations like this - no one can stand to hear to them more than once!

I will grant you it's fun to lay down a solo. But that can be done all day long without a collaborative effort, as we all know.

It'd be so much better to do this if everyone played different instruments. Very few bands benefit from more than a couple of guitar players,,,

It's a cool idea at first blush, but it's very difficult to see a vision for a song through without at least a little personal, play-it-together, interaction, and some guidance, leadership, and input (or at least discussion) from the song's writer. I say this from experience having done a lot of remote sessions in my work.

On this it's even less collaborative than it might otherwise be, because all the collaborators play the same instrument. At best, one winds up with a mishmash of remote guitar solos played over a pre-recorded bed. I guess you could call that collaboration, but not very satisfying.

This is probably why very few listenable records result from collaborations like this - no one can stand to hear to them more than once!

I will grant you it's fun to lay down a solo. But that can be done all day long without a collaborative effort, as we all know.

It'd be so much better to do this if everyone played different instruments. Very few bands benefit from more than a couple of guitar players,,,

I was gonna have you lay down the finger snaps while you're in the cast, but you're out of the band now!

Very good points. As I alluded to, I think we should limit number of participants for each "project", and have an overall producer/music director, who is potentially the lead songwriter too. The guy should have power of veto over any part, and people should know up front that maybe their part/proposal doesn't fit or add anything to the song. Hopefully, it would be mainly democratic and the person wouldn't have to throw his weight around too much.

But all this aside, the purpose is to have fun doing it.

I think the important thing is to quickly set up a suitable framework, and then just do a quick trial run and adjust from there. As I said, I'm in - and I can keep my guitar in the case for this. I would also not have a problem being musical dictator ;-) though I'm sure there are more experienced people around.

I like this idea and with all the good players here there's probably no shortage of talent, but like mentioned above, slicing it up into a common genre platform, and making it happen software-wise might get challenging.
On top of that, with PRSi being both sonically and visually pleasing, there has to be an accompanying video shot during the takes, don't ya think? That's what I see on youtube when I type in "megajam", here's an example:

Now I'm not volunteering, I'm still working on getting my chops back after 3-4 years of just songwriting and big time shred neglect, but with all the top notch instruments and players here that should be a lock. One thing is for sure though.....
...if it reps the official PRS forum, it's gotta kick butt.

Funny: That video features some guitar players I've seen in other youtube collaborative jams over the years, Claudio Pietronik, Yiannis Papadoupolis in specific.

Thing is, most players aren't quite "there" yet internet/media/technology-wise, myself included.

In order for me to contribute, I'd have to:

1. Book time in the local studio
2. Haul amp and guitars down to local studio
3. Have someone film me jam, then edit the video.

Hate to say it but it's not quite as convenient as it sounds. We're not yet at the point where everyone who wants to has a home media-production studio.

Back