Broken neck

leegee

I'm a new member, and have just read the forum rules, and I will try tread carefully to keep them, but I am in a bit of a bind.

Since 2000, I have had a 1991 Custom 24 (Artist Pack), which I've never gigged, but play lovingly.

Until a little while ago, when the strap came off, and the head of the guitar hit the floorboards.

I tried writing to my authorised dealer, here in Budapest, but got not response to e-mails.

I have written to the official PRS service centre, and they say from the photographs I sent, it looks like the wood of the neck is cracked, and needs to be stripped, glued, and re-finish the neck --- they gave me a fair quote of $750, but because I am in Europe, shipping and US border checks (?) bring the total to $1,350.

My question is -- do I have any other options?

Is the damage so bad that after a repair, the resale value of the guitar would be really low?

If that's the case, should I consider having a new neck built by a luther?

Should I just buy another guitar?

Please help: feeling very upset.

Lee

Ouch!!! I'm sorry to read this man!

Honestly, given the age and sentimental value of the guitar, send it back to PRS as they will probably be able to fix it up like new. If you decide to sell it, the fact that PRS repaired it over a local luthier (as competent as he/she might be) won't hurt the value much....if any....to a buyer.

Good luck and post some pics if you can!

Bummer!
The repair will effect the resale value. That being said, in my eyes, if the repair on a PRS is done by the fine folks at PRS...then I put a lot of faith and value in that. So, I think it would retain its value better if PRS does do the job.

If its a 90s Artist series guitar, sounds like it would probably be worth it to me! Good luck.

There is a PRS facility in Europe (England I think). I don't know if they have the experience to repair it but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

In this case I would only go with a PRS repair.
and be sure of having a great guitar,
I would look at different shipping options. $600 dollars seems bit extreme for shipping costs ( IMHO )
Talk to PTC about shipping options of a dealer that would help you.

Thanks, folks -- much appreciated.

Apparently there is going to be a PRS repair facility in the UK, but probably not until next year.

Going to have to bite the bullet and invest in the US PTC repair, I think....

Cheers
Lee

L7bSWdW6OvoUmQJs9EYRT13LRG_Vle5esu9KcPgxExQVxHcZPVzLdpDgl8y9F6AlvgjrOvPAox0J9A=w2400-h1350-rw-no

kSzTr12CFaqJRRHmmSotolIlsKTOEaR0ECf5Auz6n8AEszYdtd4T1r7lCNAu1nQAO1DTNAsiYoM0ng=w2400-h1350-rw-no

Good luck mate. I'm in the U/K and if was me I would bite the bullet and try and go for a PTC repair.
Better safe than sorry if poss !!!

My condolences.

Surely there's a top shelf luthier in Europe who could do a high-quality repair? Someone highly regarded with a proven track record of great work. The cracks look similar to what often happens to Gibsons.

Do your research and decide what you're most comfortable doing.

For now, don't detune or take the strings off. It may destabilize the crack.

Hello and welcome. That is bad news. I am with @garrett on this. Needs to be done locally. Shipping that guitar to America in such a fragile state will increase the risk of further damage and lessen the effectiveness of any repair. The worst could happen even before it crossed the Danube.

As for the resale value. I am afraid this has taken a considerable hit too. Not many of us look for guitars with broken necks. Be they repaired or not. We might take a chance on them but only if the price is right.

What I have written appears harsh but it is not intended to be. And I am really sorry.

Keep us up to date anyway.

My little brother has also broken the neck of his guitar. Can it be done right or we need to buy a new one? My uncle told me to take it to the music instrument repair professionals for the safe repair. We have visited many useful sites and other blogs to find a reliable music store. What may be the options I can try?

My little brother has also broken the neck of his guitar. Can it be done right or we need to buy a new one? My uncle told me to take it to the music instrument repair professionals for the safe repair. We have visited many useful sites and other blogs to find a reliable music store. What may be the options I can try?

Not sure of the value of the guitar, but check out BCR Music. Greg is a magician with headstock repairs (you didn't say where on the neck it was broken, so I'm making an assumption).

Oh that's a bummer for sure. Sorry man. I wish I could help. Are you or anybody you know coming coming stateside in the future?

Back