Boutique pick Roundup II-confessions of a pick nerd.

NOW?!?!?! I've ordered V, Gravity, Red Bear, Plexstrum, and Winspear since you started this little adventure. Apparently, I have money to burn a hole in my pocket, and time on my hands to not play my guitar enough :D. Besides, I was perfectly content with my Dunlop Ultex .73 and Jazz III's. I'm such a lemming :oops:. Anyone know where there's a cliff I can jump off of? :eek:

LMAO!!!!......................Somebody get on the phone to the police. We need a negotiator to talk Jim down from that ledge.

After you do your evaluation, come back to this thread and post your reviews.;)

Uh-Oh, now I'm contributing to the delinquency of a forum member.:p

What did you order? and after you do an evaluation, reply back with your results.
GAS doesn't control me, I control GAS............or something like that. I just bought another set of pickups too.

Who am I kidding?

I've never been happy with the picks I used. When I bought a couple of mann trems he threw in a couple of those thick picks with Mann Made on them. Turns out I kind of like those so after reading your thread I thought maybe these would make me 10 times better.......or maybe not?????

Anyone know where there's a cliff I can jump off of? :eek:

220px-Cliff_Clavin_posing_in_%22Please_Mr_Postman%22.png

For me, a traditional medium thickness cellulose pick feels good for strumming and has a nice tone. Even a traditional heavy is OK, but the reduced pick flex doesn't seem to produce a sound that's like what I want, except with the Blue Chips.

However, a traditional thin sounds a little too clacky.

When I switched to Blue Chip, I started playing their 35, 40, 45, and 50 thicknesses, depending on the use, but for acoustic the 35s and 40s seem to give the combination of tone and feel I want. The thicker ones tend to make the strings sound less shimmery, in my hand.

For reference, the 35 = .89mm, about the thickness of a Fender heavy.

I just haven't found the very thick, heavy picks to give a good tone for strumming, but I am willing to give something a shot at some point.

I bought a red bear from Gian the other day. I know it's a bit brighter sound but I figured I'd give it a shot at used pricing. :D

He's switched over to blue chip 60, which sounded more round and warm than the red bear. I may check out a blue chip myself. I liked it while I was messing around with it. He refused to sell one of those to me. Haha. I think I'm more likely to blow money on picks if I don't have to order and wait. I need instant gratification dammit!!!:mad: :D

I started using the Dunlop 50th Anniversary Gold Nylon Pick last year. .60mm and the .73 mm. It has the raised dots for grip.

It's a step above a regular nylon pick. I know it's not a boutique pick. But it's comfortable and works for me.

After some time yesterday, comparing the 3 high end picks I own - along with a green tortex(my normal pick), here's where I'm at...
I played through the clean channel of my Archon, no effects.

V-Pick Large P - I quite like the tone of this pick. It's the clearest, biggest, boldest sound of all the picks I tried. Also the least comfortable in my hand as its the biggest length, width, thickness. Thickness didn't both me much but larger triangular shape up where I grip it I have a hard time getting used to. Then, the dreaded chirp.

V-Pick Screamer(red) - Smaller than the large V-Pick, but same shape, it is a little more comfortable to hold. Still the pointy ends up where I grip the pick bother me some. Tone was less extreme than that of the Large P, but less chirp too. Not sure why, same thickness just slightly smaller. The only thing I can guess is the material is a little different?

Red Bear Big Jazzer H - This pick has the right handed speed bevel. Didn't quite have the volume of the V-Picks but has great clarity. Closer sounding to the Screamer I guess but a little less bold, definitely not as punchy as the large P. It's a nice pick and probably good for getting nice clean runs going. It's thinner than both the V-Picks I have which are 2.75 mm. Comfortable in hand, bigger than a Jazz III but smaller than a classic shape.

Clayton green tortex style - Nothing special sounding. Pretty flat response, not bright, not round and warm. Just there. It works, I don't drop 'em a ton and they're cheap to get band name put on.

E5982EB8-406D-4036-898E-CA9471388867_zpsxk39dw05.jpg

So going off of that info, I figured I'd order some more V-Picks that were closer to the classic shape. I got 3 of them with the Ghost Rim edge which supposedly helps reduce the chirp and a couple others that I just figured I'd try. Got a few different thicknesses to see if I hear a sonic difference. I can't ever see myself using Red Bear regularly. I don't have time to deal with their limited ordering time thing. I may check out gravity again some time if none of the V's float my boat. I will probably grab a blue chip or 2 once I figure out which thickness I want.

Tradition Lite Ghost Rim - The Pick Billy Gibbons Plays× 1
1980 - Guitar & Mandolin Pick× 1
Tradition Smokey Mountain Guitar Pick× 1
Mummy× 1
Euro II - Guitar Pick× 1

After some time yesterday, comparing the 3 high end picks I own - along with a green tortex(my normal pick), here's where I'm at...

V-Pick Large P - I quite like the tone of this pick. It's the clearest, biggest, boldest sound of all the picks I tried. Also the least comfortable in my hand as its the biggest length, width, thickness. Thickness didn't both me much but larger triangular shape up where I grip it I have a hard time getting used to. Then, the dreaded chirp.

V-Pick Screamer(red) - Smaller than the large V-Pick, but same shape, it is a little more comfortable to hold. Still the pointy ends up where I grip the pick bother me some. Tone was less extreme than that of the Large P, but less chirp too. Not sure why, same thickness just slightly smaller. The only thing I can guess is the material is a little different?

Red Bear Big Jazzer H - This pick has the right handed speed bevel. Didn't quite have the volume of the V-Picks but has great clarity. Closer sounding to the Screamer I guess but a little less bold, definitely not as punchy as the large P. It's a nice pick and probably good for getting nice clean runs going. It's thinner than both the V-Picks I have which are 2.75 mm. Comfortable in hand, bigger than a Jazz III but smaller than a classic shape.

Clayton green tortex style - Nothing special sounding. Pretty flat response, not bright, not round and warm. Just there. It works, I don't drop 'em a ton and they're cheap to get band name put on.

So going off of that info, I figured I'd order some more V-Picks that were closer to the classic shape. I got 3 of them with the Ghost Rim edge which supposedly helps reduce the chirp and a couple others that I just figured I'd try. Got a few different thicknesses to see if I hear a sonic difference. I can't ever see myself using Red Bear regularly. I don't have time to deal with their limited ordering time thing. I may check out gravity again some time if none of the V's float my boat. I will probably grab a blue chip or 2 once I figure out which thickness I want.

Mummy× 1
Euro II - Guitar Pick× 1
Nice, thanks for sharing your results with us.
I too did not gel with the size of the large V pick, although I keep one around just for chunking out rock rhythm, didn't get much chirp though, I only get that from the 4mm picks. The medium round fits my fingers best, but it could be 1-2mm bigger to be that "glass slipper" for me. Tonewise the acrylic stuff is just OK to me, a pinch mid scooped to my ears, but easily the fastest and most playable material. Best tone so far goes to Dragon Heart but that shape really stunk.

Thaks

Mummy× 1
Euro II - Guitar Pick× 1[/QUOTE
Yes. Thank you for sharing!! I would also be interested in trying a Red Bear. I imagine it will never happen, though, given their system. Also, I really don't want to end up loving a pick that I will have trouble ever getting again....!

Kevin

Nice, thanks for sharing your results with us.
I too did not gel with the size of the large V pick, although I keep one around just for chunking out rock rhythm, didn't get much chirp though, I only get that from the 4mm picks. The medium round fits my fingers best, but it could be 1-2mm bigger to be that "glass slipper" for me. Tonewise the acrylic stuff is just OK to me, a pinch mid scooped to my ears, but easily the fastest and most playable material. Best tone so far goes to Dragon Heart but that shape really stunk.
My chirp occurs if I have a couple successive downstrokes on the plain strings.

Have you tried blue chip? I forgot if you did.

Thaks

Yes. Thank you for sharing!! I would also be interested in trying a Red Bear. I imagine it will never happen, though, given their system. Also, I really don't want to end up loving a pick that I will have trouble ever getting again....!

Kevin
Exactly. I don't enjoy things that are a hassle. It would probably be wise of me to get rid of this pick and move on so I don't start liking it much! :D

edit: oh, the other huge downside is if you like the grip holes(I do)- you lose the bear on the logo! Terrible!:( :p

I'm a bit pick obsessed myself. I just ran into the Winspear picks earlier today, and I'm thinking about ordering a few. Any experience with those?
Thanks!

Kevin

I wholeheartedly recommend these picks. Tom is a great guy to deal with and the picks he makes are great. They last forever too. The tone is a little warmer than a Jazz 2.0, for example, which is a little bit more mid heavy (great picks, though), and the grip is awesome.

These are the ones I use:

https://www.winspearpicks.com/collections/products/products/stealth-shiv?variant=29014098375

Here's a solo I recorded with one of his pics (an older version of the shiv from back when he was starting out) so you have an idea of how they sound like (very gear dependent, of course, but being that this is a PRS forum and I only record with PRSi, well, yeah):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28793505/Ubiquitous Vox Solo.wav

Thaks

Kevin

One nice thing is they don't wear nearly as fast as regular picks. So there is that...

I'll have to look at the Ghost Rim V-picks that were mentioned above. I notice a lot of chirp with the V-Picks and the Red Bear, but I suspect it's more my technique.

I wholeheartedly recommend these picks. Tom is a great guy to deal with and the picks he makes are great. They last forever too. The tone is a little warmer than a Jazz 2.0, for example, which is a little bit more mid heavy (great picks, though), and the grip is awesome.

These are the ones I use:

https://www.winspearpicks.com/collections/products/products/stealth-shiv?variant=29014098375

Here's a solo I recorded with one of his pics (an older version of the shiv from back when he was starting out) so you have an idea of how they sound like (very gear dependent, of course, but being that this is a PRS forum and I only record with PRSi, well, yeah):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28793505/Ubiquitous Vox Solo.wav
Thanks for this!! I was thinking about trying the shiv. Looks to be a tiny bit larger than a typical jazz iii, but unfortunately quite a bit smaller than the jazz iii xl size that I have recently been preferring.

Kevin

Dammit all, T - why you have go start these stupid pick threads!?! I was just fine, perfectly fine. Now I'm obsessing.:mad:

Back