Blistertone volume

Ck77

I have a 50 watt blistertone and a 50 watt 2 channel custom, problem is the blistertone seems very quiet in volume compared to the 2 channel, any ideas? Thanks!

They're two completely different amps, by design. Crank the master on the Blister and bring up the volume to about 11:00. Start with guitar volume on 4. Raise guitar volume to taste...7 for crunch, 10 for lead. If there's still a huge volume loss, you may need tubes and/or service.

They're two completely different amps, by design. Crank the master on the Blister and bring up the volume to about 11:00. Start with guitar volume on 4. Raise guitar volume to taste...7 for crunch, 10 for lead. If there's still a huge volume loss, you may need tubes and/or service.
Right, I understand that, but I mean completely dimed with humbuckers, both thru identical cabs, half as loud, sounds really good, just seems like only a 20 watt head, not fifty....

Had a Blistertone and it pushed some air, how are the power tubes in it? They have some hours on them?
Not sure on the hours, bought it second hand, will pickup a multimeter and give it a whirl...

Right, I understand that, but I mean completely dimed with humbuckers, both thru identical cabs, half as loud, sounds really good, just seems like only a 20 watt head, not fifty....
5 feet from the cab it hardly will even feedback..

Old, worn tubes will do that, but different 50 watt designs may also produce different volumes.

A 30 Watt AC30 can be much louder than a blackface 50 Watt Bassman. Etc. My 30W DG30 in boost mode seems louder than my HXDA.

Must be a tube thing.

Although the 50 watt 2 Channel Customs are hella loud. Probably the loudest amp I've played, including my 100 watt head.

Thank you for the response, another dumb question, when I put a Mesa eq pedal in the loop, not even turned on, it sounds different, more focused, with out it in the loop it is louder, but seems like the preamp overdrives too much, like super muddy with gain past noon, and the only knob past noon is bass at 2 o'clock, even sustain seems squashed, u think v1 tube is goofy?

With the eq in the loop I can dime the gain and still sounds great, I'm abit lost on this one....and eq is not on....

also, this isn't my first tube amp, I have over 3 dozen of many manufacturers and age, so I get the basics, I also have an archon 100, 25th anniversary, recording amp, original Sewell and Paul's amp, so I understand the ins and outs of eq sections it these amps, the effects loop on the blistertone has me scratching my head abit....

also, this isn't my first tube amp, I have over 3 dozen of many manufacturers and age, so I get the basics, I also have an archon 100, 25th anniversary, recording amp, original Sewell and Paul's amp, so I understand the ins and outs of eq sections it these amps, the effects loop on the blistertone has me scratching my head abit....
I would do the inexpensive troubleshooting first...replace all tubes. If it persists, get it to a tech.

Typically, V1 is the first input stage tube on channel 1(if there are more than 1), v2 for channel 2, v3 reverb, v4 phase inverter. YMMV. Most/all PRS amps have a printed legend inside the head/combo cab.

I would do the inexpensive troubleshooting first...replace all tubes. If it persists, get it to a tech.

Typically, V1 is the first input stage tube on channel 1(if there are more than 1), v2 for channel 2, v3 reverb, v4 phase inverter. YMMV. Most/all PRS amps have a printed legend inside the head/combo cab.

Ok, just for kicks, I jumped the loop with a patch cord and set the input and output at 2 o'clock and it sounds amazing, without the jumper, sounds pretty muddy, I don't get it....

I had something similar on my old Boogie Mk III. It's a completely different amp and designs, but maybe it will give you food for thought. The FX loop used jacks with multiple "switches" built-in. Those contacts got dirty/corroded over time and it was sounding off. By seating and unseating a plug several times it would cure the problem for a while, but I eventually had to open the chassis and physically clean those contacts. It returned to normal.

Some designs use a spare half of a 12ax7 to drive the loop. If so, you can jumper it and get an extra gain stage. And if you have an FX loop switch, it's easily controlled. Not sure if this applies to you, but might be worth a try.

Back