Black Map - Great new band

My wife has been listening to this band a lot, and I heard enough that I started listening on my own. (They just released their second record BTW)

The rhythm section is fantastic, tight drums and bass and each player can really play. The guitars I really dig, they remind me of what I go for, which is cool effects that provide ambiance at times, and other times, straight up rhythm tight with the drums and bass... whatever the song calls for. Also, their vocals are really great, which I know is of utmost importance to like 98% of music listeners.

They remind me of Foo Fighters in a lot of ways, even though on an initial listen that might not be apparent. Mainly, listening to their records, any given song could be a radio single, but none of them are so cheesy as to be the blatant song written for the radio. Each song is a cohesive representation of who the band is, yet each song is different enough from the one before it that it's not repetitive. Also, the music is interesting as if it was written by actual musicians and not corporate overlords. It's just solid rock music that can appeal to both the masses and to music snobs.

I saw Black Map open for Chevelle and Bush in Columbus OH last year. They were entertaining, and the OP's description of Chevelle meets U2 was apt, the lead guitarist kept delay going almost full time.

Back