Birthday Guitars

justmund

Plank Spanker
So... with impending NBD (New Baby Day), I've been thinking of sourcing a PRS finished on the same day, keep it the in closet and give it to them on their 16th or 18th birthday (and if they don't play guitar then I get another PRS!).

So what's the chances of picking up a guitar finished on this date?
Are PRSes finished every day, or generally on a particular day of the week or...?
What's the best way about it, wait a week or so after the birth and put the feelers out?

I assume they're done in model batches for production/QC efficiencies so my model choices might be limited.

So... with impending NBD (New Baby Day), I've been thinking of sourcing a PRS finished on the same day, keep it the in closet and give it to them on their 16th or 18th birthday (and if they don't play guitar then I get another PRS!).

So what's the chances of picking up a guitar finished on this date?
Are PRSes finished every day, or generally on a particular day of the week or...?
What's the best way about it, wait a week or so after the birth and put the feelers out?

I assume they're done in model batches for production/QC efficiencies so my model choices might be limited.

Not that they don't probably already have plenty of e-mails to deal with, but this strikes me as a question that PRS Customer Service might best be able to help you with. It's worth a try anyway...

Goldtop

My newest guitar, the DGTS, was born on Bastille Day - sadly a day after my wife's July 14 birthday. I had a my own birthday guitar...not once, but twice. I had a CU24 Rosewood and a Gretsch 6120HH - 08-10-04 and 08-10-05, respectively.

Based on current production rates, I would guess that a couple hundred guitars come off the line daily. I would imagine that if you contacted a dealer and requested a specific date of production in advance, it would be a very easy thing to accomodate.

However, if the big day in on the weekend....I am not sure if they release guitars on those dates, and I would guess that Sundays and major holidays are not on the hang tags at all. For example, my Al D. has the 1/02 date on the bird tag....I doubt if they were releasing guitars on New Year's Day. :)

In my case, I was able to get a PS delivered in March in 2011 that bore my 10/08 birthday on the headstock. It was a "time machine" for 6 months until the date on the headstock caught up with the date on the calander. I am still pissed that I let a nice CU24 with my 10/08 production date go a couple years ago...but "guitarbrat" was just asking too much for it. :mad:

Last edited:
I was able to get my son one with his birthdate. Contact whatever dealer you work with, and they can usually take care of it. Good luck!

The PRS I ordered for my birthday says on the case it was built on my birthday, and on the hang tag the day before. It was total luck. I'm going with the birthday date as an official date. :)

You think ill be able to ask them to build me a Custom24 to 87 specs and have them back date it? hahahah

Ive thought the same, but my daughter was born on a Sunday, so I assume no guitars on that day :(.

My birthday is always a few weeks before Experience (only a week this year), and I go through all the tags. I figure it'll be a good test of will power if I ever find one with my birthday.

Back