Better pickups for an S2 Standard?

gtrdave

n+1 is the correct value
I've got a newer S2 Standard 24 and overall I'm fairly happy with its tone, but I think I could get a bit 'more' out of it with a pickup change.
It does seem a bit on the darker side - maybe a bit muddy? It that inherent in the import 85/15s that are in it?
Wondering if a swap to the domestic 85/15 pickups or something from Duncan, etc...would be worthwhile?

I have an S2 Singlecut. I played with the original pups for a while but I felt that I wasn't getting what I wanted from them. I put in a set of BK Rebel Yells and the improvement was astonishing. I had these pups in a different guitar but they sound way better in the S2. Couldn't be happier.

It’s never a bad idea to experiment with pickups and see whether a change gets a tone closer to what you like!

heights but also play with the pole pieces

lower the pickups but raise the pole pieces and give it a go

Otherwise, yeah they're just pickups you can always put them back in. The only S2 pickups I have long experience with is the Starla ones and I think they're excellent

Its an impossible thing too ask. Only you have your ears and your taste.

Ive never liked any Seymour Duncan products I've owned or tried out, but I'm part of a tiny minority. They might be ideal for you. The problem is, you could spend a small fortune changing out a succession of pickups.

What are you using your guitar through? Do you use FX/pedals/signal processor?

heights but also play with the pole pieces

lower the pickups but raise the pole pieces and give it a go

Otherwise, yeah they're just pickups you can always put them back in. The only S2 pickups I have long experience with is the Starla ones and I think they're excellent

Same goes for the ones in my Vela. I can't see ever changing those, but the Standard sounds muddy in comparison. Of course, some would say, since the Vela is an inherently bright guitar.

I'm going to do a little more in-home demos before I make a change. At my last gig I wasn't feeling well and so that may have been playing tricks on my ears. Also, it was a smaller venue and I was using my AC10C1 as opposed to my Night Train 15 and 1x12 cabinet, so the different amp may have been messing with my ears, too.

m-e, I've got a pedalboard w/ about 10 different stomp boxes in it and I've used it at countless shows and studio dates. The PRS guitars have played well with it in the past.

I don't have any S2s so I have no idea how close the pickups are to the core 85/15s. However, I recently replaced the Draon1s in my '97 CE22 with a reissue 1985 T&B set and am very happy with them. They sound (and feel) very much like the originals in my '87. Small differences aren't due to the pickups, I think, but rather because the two guitars are different. The CE22 is slightly brighter and a bit less voicelike in its basic character. Bolt-on vs long tenon, maybe? I can't say, but the reissues really brought this guitar to life.

+1 on the Rebel Yells too. They deserve their reputation IMO. Have a set in an Explorer and they smoke.

Also try a set off NYXL's on it before you change anything other than the pickup height. My old CE woke up like a big dog when I put those on.

Back