Better Learning Tool: Looper vs Trio

jdag

I am about 6 months into my guitar journey, and feel I am making "admirable" progress...which is to say I now kind of feel like I can play the guitar...horribly, but I know enough to be excited about continuing this challenge.

I've been experimenting playing over some backing tracks as well as using "Session Mode" in the Rocksmith program. That's led me to a couple of tools and I am considering: a looper pedal or the Trio "Band Creator".

I understand the functionality of both, so I am really more interested in opinions from seasoned players as to which would benefit a novice more.

Thanks in advance.

So I am an advanced novice. I started playing again 3 years ago and have since learned that the looper is a pedal everyone should own. Now my advice is to not get too advanced with the looper as I have found that using a basic looper is a lot of fun.

I see you are using Rocksmith so you are already comfortable plugging into the computer so I would give the DAW path a look. When it gets more complicated I actually prefer leaving the pedal path and using a DAW. I am currently using a Focusrite interface and Amplitube 4. This gives me a LOT more options for about the same money as the Trio with a 8 track recorder, loopers and tons of amp/effect models to play with.

All that being said I still love my regular old looper pedal and my tube amp for doing basic rhythm loops that I then play scales/riffs over the top off.

just my 2 cents

Steve

I've also heard good things about the BeatBuddy, if you're looking to go the pedal route.

I agree with Steve - go for a USB interface. Loopers are cool, but the amount of creativity a full workstation allows is far more than you'll ever be able to get from a pedal! Being able to build songs, save projects and continue to work on them later, AND be able to export that content for MP3's, online videos, etc., is awesome. And I've found that being able to record songs this way really helps me to critique my own playing and become much more precise. Long and short, you'll outgrow a looper, although it's a good tool you'll want more.

Personally, I prefer to mic my amps rather than use an amp sim, but there's no wrong way to do it. I just find the familiarity of an amp and my pedals more simple. But just starting out, especially if you've not sunk a lot of money into amps and pedals, you could eventually spend money on amp sims, which are much cheaper than amps themselves, and have yourself a lot of variety on a very modest budget. Lots of ways to go.

I also have a Focusrite interface (Scarlett 2i4), but even the Solo would be a fine choice, and probably less than a looper pedal. It comes with DAW software (your recording program) and some nice bonus software pieces. And a mic and cable won't run you too much more if you want to mic your amp, too. Get yourself a dynamic mic, like the Shure SM57 - heck, even a store brand knockoff will do for starters if you're budget conscious (but if you can afford the 57, get it, you'll have it forever).

I have a looper and have played around with a Trio, considered getting one as they were released. For ME, the looper is the way to go. It really is the best tool I have ever bought.
A lot of people don't use them to their full potential and then get bored. I run mine not through my guitar rig but through my PA. All of my other channels can feed the looper (gtr, drums, keys, mic etc). This allows me to create multi track recordings on the fly.
Endless fun and great practice.

Great info, everyone...thanks. Technically I have everything I need already in terms of connectivity to my computer. I have a THR10 as well as the Rocksmith cable, so I technically can use computer software. The idea of getting the pedal is the simplicity factor of just plugging into the amp and going. So I definitely want to get 1 of the pedals. And in this day and age, reselling if I don't use makes the investment minimal. My real concern is getting a tool that will help and not distract.

On the pedal side, on Reverb you can pick up a used Ditto reasonably cheap, or a new clone like my Joyo Iron Loop.

I think it really comes down to what you’re working on. I have a trio, a ditto and my laptop next to my guitar hooked up to really good speakers. Recently I’ve been working on arpeggios over chord changes and the trio has been perfect for that. Giving context both in terms of beat (drums) and chords (base + guitar loop).

When I use my computer it’s almost always playing along to various backing tracks. For me, I don’t think there’s one solution that fits it all. I like to have all the options, it’s hard enough to practice as it is without fighting with gear to get going.

The tc ditto looper is well worth getting. The other types you mention are a bit more advanced/expensive, rocksmith may actually be better (not tried trio etc) or close enough to cover that aspect

Away from pcs can do a lot with looper and a metronome, there are free apps for phones too, like guitar tabs, or guitar tuner

I can see the value of both...or just opening up the wallet and getting the Trio+ which is about 3x the cost but has a looper built in (along with the better syncing capability than having a looper + Trio separately). Yeah, this is an expensive hobby!

On a side note, I've been looking at the Digitech JamMan Express XT over the Ditto. It is the same price, but has a number of advantages (battery, stereo, more recording time).

For anyone on the fence...the price for the Trio just dropped to $50 on several sites (Amazon, Sweetwater, Musician's Friend, Guitar Center). The Trio+ is still $275-$300.

I know you didn’t ask about this - so forgive me for mentioning something a little off topic - but I think it’s the best way to have fun and at the same time become a better player: find other musicians to play with, even if it’s only another guitar player.

As good as loopers, YouTube, and other technofrippery can be, music is a communication art, and by that I mean, live communication. A better player will teach you things you can’t pick up on YouTube. But even a new player such as yourself is worth sharing that communication with. And it’s fun.

Just sayin’.

I know you didn’t ask about this - so forgive me for mentioning something a little off topic - but I think it’s the best way to have fun and at the same time become a better player: find other musicians to play with, even if it’s only another guitar player.

As good as loopers, YouTube, and other technofrippery can be, music is a communication art, and by that I mean, live communication. A better player will teach you things you can’t pick up on YouTube. But even a new player such as yourself is worth sharing that communication with. And it’s fun.

Just sayin’.
Completely agree...and I hope to have some level of confidence to do so soon.

Just sayin’.
Indeed. Jamming with CDs will make your timing better, because the rest of the band ain't waiting for ya.

Jamming with a looper or Trio would be similar, except you do have some control for slowing down or speeding up the pattern, in theory.

But all of my growth as a proper musician came with jamming with other musicians.

Completely agree...and I hope to have some level of confidence to do so soon.
Good!

That being said, a looper or Trio would help when you feel inspired or just want to practice but no-one else is around at that very moment.

I considered buying a Trio for just that reason. But I have loopers, including a Boss one that can generate basic beats, if I am truly desperate. And normally my percussionist/drummer wife is around, and she can be my drummer if I start messing around with something.

But all of my growth as a proper musician came with jamming with other musicians..

I’m right there with ya.

I started jamming and gigging when I was about 14. Even though I did piano recitals, etc., as a kid, the experience of playing with other musicians informed my musical sensibilities and skills in a way that never could have happened without a band.

I also realize that as an adult, it’s difficult to make time in our busy lives for playing with a band or just jamming with friends. It can be overcome, but it’s not always so easy!

However, to the OP I’d say don’t be shy about playing with others, even if you’re just starting out. Tell folks you’re learning, and see if you can find someone a bit more experienced to jam with. You’ll learn faster, and the friend can also teach you how to do a few things more quickly than watching videos, etc.

I’d already been in bands playing out for years when one of my college buddies said he wanted to learn, and I jammed with him all the time, taught him a few things, and he picked it up quickly. He still plays to this day (and it’s been a HELL of a long time since college! ;) ).

A few years ago, I played an SXSW showcase with a band featuring a young guy fresh out of college, whose record I produced. It had been a long time since I played out, and I kinda didn’t want to do it, because of my age, etc., but I figured WTF.

I had the freakin’ time of my life! So much fun. Fun you can’t have with music any other way than by playing live.

However, to the OP I’d say don’t be shy about playing with others, even if you’re just starting out. Tell folks you’re learning, and see if you can find someone a bit more experienced to jam with. You’ll learn faster, and the friend can also teach you how to do a few things more quickly than watching videos, etc.

OP, all of Les' advice on this subject took the words out of my mouth but this statement is key if you're shy about it, and if you're hesitant because of your being a novice just remember we all have to start somewhere. You may not be able to hang out and trade chops with Steve Vai, but even if someone is only a tad better than you, you can still learn from them.

As stated by others, playing with other people will increase your growth more than any piece of tech.

Good luck in your quest!!!

Back