Best Sounding Rig In The History of YOUR World?

OK, I gotta hear about That Digital Thing That Does That. Spill the beans, brother! ;).

Yeah. Spill.
Well, in fear of violating the forum rules, I won't go into any details since it's not a PRS product. But, it's a modeling system by the engineer responsible for the old Redbox. Woundtight brought one with him and we demo'ed it at Wild West Guitars...sounded incredible. Get this: it has a built-in 100w amp. PM me for details.

Great thread, I really enjoyed reading. I'll talk rig tomorrow, ermmmm, today. Later.

Some of us, no doubt, are rock stars with a lot of choice gear. Some of us, like Aristotle, are gods of gear who have Mount Olympus sized rigs.

But for most of us, a few amps, a pedalboard, and some guitars are all it's ever gonna be.

Some of us love our current rigs. Some are still looking for their ultimate setup.

I realized today that I have things pretty much covered. I'm in a good place, certainly my best amp/pedalboard/guitar rig ever. Yes, best in the history of MY world.

Sure, I might add something here or there, but it wouldn't be to upgrade anything; it'd be to make an addition just for the sake of adding to the joy that's already there.

Where do you fall? Are you walking into your studio or practice room and loving the stuff in there, or are you still on the Quest for the holy grail of tone?
For me I've settled on a Marshall 18 watt 1974 model amp wise (I own two actually) and an xotic effects EP Booster. That's it, and for the size of venues I play, and the house, that's more than enough for me. I love Fender amps too, but I always go back to the '74 as I've become accustomed to the sound and there's not much eq wise to play with either. Guitar wise, it's always been strats or the dgt, though I have at times played sg's, lp's and hollow bodies when I got bored. But the dgt and 245 are "it" right now!
RonnieD

For me I've settled on a Marshall 18 watt 1974 model amp wise (I own two actually) and an xotic effects EP Booster. That's it, and for the size of venues I play, and the house, that's more than enough for me. I love Fender amps too, but I always go back to the '74 as I've become accustomed to the sound and there's not much eq wise to play with either. Guitar wise, it's always been strats or the dgt, though I have at times played sg's, lp's and hollow bodies when I got bored. But the dgt and 245 are "it" right now!
RonnieD
Oh yeah I forgot to mention both amps have been retrofitted with Upgraded trannies and chokes

On further review...

I've been yakking a bit about getting that DG50 amp, but I'm really covered with the HXDA and DG30. Plus I have that Lone Star for those Fender style cleans and (guilty pleasure) Mesa grind moments.

I like my pedalboard. I'm pretty well set. I might get a 2x12 for the HXDA. I'd probably go with the PRS cab for that. I'm pretty much done. Put a fork in me!

On further review...

I've been yakking a bit about getting that DG50 amp, but I'm really covered with the HXDA and DG30. Plus I have that Lone Star for those Fender style cleans and (guilty pleasure) Mesa grind moments.

I like my pedalboard. I'm pretty well set. I might get a 2x12 for the HXDA. I'd probably go with the PRS cab for that. I'm pretty much done. Put a fork in me!

Retraction in 5....4....3....

o_O

pj'
Retraction in 5....4....3....

o_O

Hah!

I realize that I lack a certain, shall we say, credibility on this, but I'm serious.

I'm sitting here with three great amps that do all the tones I really need, and they do them really well. I pulled a muscle in my groin moving things around in the studio to get them all set up nearly a month ago, and it's still KILLING me (kvetch, kvetch). Truth: I can hardly even get an amp or cab down the stairs into my studio, and that's with someone helping me.

If I added another amp, I'd have to find a space for it. That would mean moving more stuff around in my studio. Not going there again. I'm just too freakin' old. Even without the groin issue, my back hurt for a week.

I'm not volunteering for another month of pain if I can help it. I'm happy, I'm done, no mas. And there's the whole question of the nerve damage that's destroying my hand slowly. I may have to stop playing (kvetch, kvetch).

And my wallet hurts from the Northern Lights guitar. It just complained to me that it feels really empty and lonely, and would like some nice fat bills to be friends with (I told it not to hock mir ein tshaynek).

So...how much more pain do I need?

Let me answer that for myself: none.

Alright, so my main live rig is set. I'm very happy with it and don't really desire anything else. The meat and potatoes of it are the Archon 100, a VHT 2/50/2 power amp and 2 Bogner 4x12 Uberkabs(old rear loaded ones). The idea is that I run mostly wet/dry. Meaning, I take a "line out"(using a Suhr ISO line out box) and feed the Archon to the VHT. That's my wet cab...it between the Archon and VHT are all my delay and reverb effects. So I have the one side that is just Archon to cab that is dry, and then the VHT powered side that is wet. All of my modulation fx and boost/drive is out in front of the amp. There's always some minor things like effects that I think I want to change out, but I haven't in awhile because then I need to go thru and do midi programming which I don't enjoy.

The home front is a slightly different story. This is where my GAS lies. Right now I have a 2nd Archon and a Diezel 2x12 cab. Also have my Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 head. So I need another cab for sure. I also get amp GAS. I've wanted a Divided by 13 FTR37 for a really long time. I loved the clean sound and the verb on it. I need to put together a basic pedal board for home too. I've got random pedals laying around, but nothing set up. Problem is amps with loops vs amps without is a hassle to set anything up for.

The home front is a slightly different story. This is where my GAS lies. Right now I have a 2nd Archon and a Diezel 2x12 cab. Also have my Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 head. So I need another cab for sure. I also get amp GAS. I've wanted a Divided by 13 FTR37 for a really long time. I loved the clean sound and the verb on it. I need to put together a basic pedal board for home too. I've got random pedals laying around, but nothing set up. Problem is amps with loops vs amps without is a hassle to set anything up for.

Funny, I had a Hot Cat and like the FTR37; we have similar tastes. Though for me, the DG30 fills that FTR37 stylistic need nicely, even though of course they're different amps in so many ways.

There are some switchers that let you handle separate amp loops on pedalboards, though I haven't tried them, being an "everything in front of the amp" guy. For some reason I like putting together a pedalboard, planning it, thinking out what goes where, etc. Even though mine change - often!

Funny, I had a Hot Cat and like the FTR37; we have similar tastes. Though for me, the DG30 fills that FTR37 stylistic need nicely, even though of course they're different amps in so many ways.

There are some switchers that let you handle separate amp loops on pedalboards, though I haven't tried them, being an "everything in front of the amp" guy. For some reason I like putting together a pedalboard, planning it, thinking out what goes where, etc. Even though mine change - often!
I'd imagine I'd like the DG30. I could maybe do without the click channel on the FTR, I don't know, it's been a long time since I even played the amp. I just remember playing it at 2 different stores and finding the clean glorious and a pleasure to play.

The whole pedalboard thing at home. I'm sure I could find a switcher but honestly don't want to spend $ for something that won't get a ton of use. I always talk myself out of anything that I wouldn't use with the band.

I'm sure I could find a switcher but honestly don't want to spend $ for something that won't get a ton of use. I always talk myself out of anything that I wouldn't use with the band.

I get it. You're practical.

I always talk myself out of anything I wouldn't record with.

I've been yakking a bit about getting that DG50 amp
You know I layed hands on one at NAMM and intended to ask some pretty big questions about these, but, alas, no one from the amp department was in attendance of the show. It was pretty!

You know I layed hands on one at NAMM and intended to ask some pretty big questions about these, but, alas, no one from the amp department was in attendance of the show. It was pretty!

Well, they seem cool. If I was ten years younger I could carry one into my studio. Hell, if I was one year younger...

Now...hell, nothin' works. I'm going to hang up the spikes pretty soon.

Back