Best PRS SE Guitar

Sam_C19

I am looking to buy a PRS SE guitar but I do not know which one to buy. I loved the SE torero, but it is hard to play with out any inlays. I also loved the PRS SE Custom 24 Floyd in Tobacco Sunburst. Any ideas?

PRS SE Fredrik Akesson :)

+1

The Akesson has awesome tone, plus lots of premium extras: ebony board, custom finish and dark birds, tonepros bridge, jumbo frets.

Although, I guess I should behave myself and say that it depends on what you're looking for.

PRS SE Fredrik Akesson :)

+1

The Akesson has awesome tone, plus lots of premium extras: ebony board, custom finish and dark birds, tonepros bridge, jumbo frets.

Although, I guess I should behave myself and say that it depends on what you're looking for.

If you want more classic rock sounds, the Marsden is tough to beat.

Give the two the OP mentioned, I would assume you are looking for something with a Floyd. Given the choice of the two that are offered I'd go with the Torero, but that also depends are you playing more classic 80's rock/metal or modern metal-ish stuff? The Torero have a through neck with a much better heel (I do dislike the big heel) with EMG 81/85 and an ebony board. The Floyd 24 has a SE HFS/VB combo with a set neck and a shorter scale lenth (25.5 vs. 25). Play them both and see which one you like.

Given the two the OP mentioned, I would assume you are looking for something with a Floyd. Given the choice of the two that are offered I'd go with the Torero, but that also depends are you playing more classic 80's rock/metal or modern metal-ish stuff? The Torero have a through neck with a much better heel (I do dislike the big heel) with EMG 81/85 and an ebony board. The Floyd 24 has a SE HFS/VB combo with a set neck and a shorter scale lenth (25.5 vs. 25). Play them both and see which one you like.

Last edited:
I really like my Zach Myers SE. I also like my Akerfeldt, although it doesn't get much love, since I got it to tide me over while waited for my ZM to arrive. The Akesson also looks tasty, but overlaps my other guitars too much, so I didn't pick one up. (Yet...)

The SE CU24s I have played in-store have always felt pretty good.

It really depends on what you want, and what you are used to. If you like 25" scales (or longer), then the ZM and similar 24.5" scale length models are not for you.

If you like single cuts, then the CU24 is not for you, although you mentioned two double-cut style models, so maybe single cut models are not for you!

As jimistephen pointed out, you seem to have mentioned the two models with Floyd Rose trems. Is that a major factor for you? Or just a trem bridge in general? In which case, look at the SE CU24.

Another question would be: is a particular model important to you, or would it be better to get the most cost-effective model? You can cut your costs significantly by buying one of the now-discontinued models as they get blown out (if any are still around!). I don't think there are any truly bad SEs - they are all quality instruments. Maybe just shop around at your local guitar store and see what you like about other models?

Last edited:
I am looking to buy a PRS SE guitar but I do not know which one to buy. I loved the SE torero, but it is hard to play with out any inlays. I also loved the PRS SE Custom 24 Floyd in Tobacco Sunburst. Any ideas?

The lack of inlays isnt a big deal...there are fret markers on the top of the binding facing you. You get used to use to it. I had the Torero for a few years and it was a very comfortable guitar. I wasnt crazy about the floyd which is why I got rid of it.

The lack of inlays isnt a big deal...there are fret markers on the top of the binding facing you. You get used to use to it.

Yeah, I kind of agree here. You mention that you loved the Torero, so I say get the one you love - I really do think the side markers are all you need after you've played the guitar for a short period of time. I don't think I ever even look at the fretboard markers on my guitars.

The Bernie gets my vote too. Saw him on Saturday night (Nov 15th) supporting Joe Shaw Taylor in Birmingham (UK). He opened the show with an acoustic set but came on to do a couple of tracks with her and he used a standard SE Bernie through a PRS amp and cab, not sure what the amp was, but it sounded great.

Bernie owner, but would also be an SE owner of a Brent Mason/513/studio type guitar ie wish they would do a single coil SE too, not S2, SE

What's all the love about the Bernie about? It's just the standard base model SE with a nice looking top and fretboard and '10 strings.
Akesson all the way. Nice thick body, Tonepros adjustable bridge, ebony fretboard and no trem to put you out of tune.

SHOTS FIRED!!!

Although I can see what the fuss is about on the Marsden, because like any SE it's great, I have to agree!

Bernie mojo from (being a brit and having link to the bluesy rock of old whitesnake), chunky 50's neck, thick body, and mine has 53/10s :)

Std tuning here so happy with regular stoptail. I love ebony as a wood, but use Vox so fighting bright bridge as it is - think ebony would be brighter

I'd like to see an SE single coil to go up against fender mex. I like strats sound, but prefer PRS fretboard radius and neck, in the hand.

"the Bernie is hard to beat"

Agreed. I've been very happy with my Bernie over the last couple of years.

Last edited:
I'd like to see an SE single coil to go up against fender mex. I like strats sound, but prefer PRS fretboard radius and neck, in the hand.

Exactly. I want a 25.5" scale, solid rosewood neck or maple neck with rosewood or ebony fretboard, 3 single coils, no pickguard, and a couple pattern thin neck carve w/10" radius, core line. I think PRS made a couple of guitars like this a few years ago

Back