Best "New" Music?

My favorite newish band is Tuxedo, although anything Mayer Hawthorne does is great. There’s some guitar in most of it.

I've really come to like Kurt Vile a lot and his recent album with Courtney Barnett is my favorite new album in recent memory, at least by artists I wasn't all that familiar with before. Not a lot of really out front guitar work, but some wonderful weaving lines...

-Ray

Mayer Hawthorne’s Dad was the bass player in my high school band.

But I’m gonna plug my son’s band here:

And here...

Really?!? That’s Bangin’! Seriously one of my favorite dudes.

Man, I need to get some of that Michigan water for Paco.

I listen to a lot of Stoner, Prog, Math, and Metal: 1000mods, Samsara Blues Experiment, Electric Octopus, Truckfighters, My Sleeping Karma, Somali Yacht Club, Covet, Electric Citizen, Elder, A Place to Bury Strangers, Baroness, Wobbler, Deluge Grander, Black Space Riders, Bent Knee, Airbag, Bjorn Riis, Pineapple Thief, Riverside, Lunatic Soul, Pallbearer, Gojira, naia izumi ...the list goes on and on...I spend way too much money on Bandcamp.

...but my favourite current guitar-centric band, bar none, is The Fierce and the Dead.
https://thefierceandthedead.bandcamp.com/album/tfatd-101

Absolutely! Just looking for recommendations on where to begin. There are so many options it's a bit overwhelming.

Of course. Here's a few metal-ish and rock bands that are off the beaten path:

Angra, Adagio, Adrenaline Mob, Airbourne, Allen & Lande, Almah, Andre Matos, Astral Doors, Avantasia, Axel Rudi Pell, Ayreon, Bad Moon Rising, Bad Salad, Balance Of Power, Benedictum, Big Wreck, Black Star Riders, Blackberry Smoke, Blaze (Bayley), Blessed By A Broken Heart, Blind Guardian, Bloodbound, Brainstorm, Brazen Abbot, Bullet, Chris Caffery, Circle II Circle, Circus Maximus, Count's 77, Crash Kelly, Crash Diet, Crazy Lixx, Crimson Glory,

A friend just turned me on to Plini. Mind blown in the best of ways. A couple of early faves:

This is gunna need its own thread, too, I'm pretty sure. :eek:

Watching this thread carefully, as we all know you have to dig for good guitar music these days and there are some good stuff on this thread. I'm not much of a country flavored cat but I was impressed with a few, especially Black Stone Cherry's Bad Habit, great musicianship all around. Les is fortunate enough to have family producing good new guitar music, that's big.

But this kid Plini from down under is off the chain!!!
Very sophisticated stuff.

Not new to me but...When I have pent up agression, and feel the urge to throat punch a deserving idiot. I listen to these guys instead...what? Its true! I have very eclectic taste gotta have some punkish tunes in the mix...

But this kid Plini from down under is off the chain!!!
Very sophisticated stuff.

Glad you dig! To my ear it's some next-level stuff, unique and seriously impressive compositions.

It's like a dozen of my favorite, divergent bands from prog to heavy fusion met head-on in the best train wreck that ever happened.

In a word: ethereal.

Get this kid an endorsement ASAP!

Glad you dig! To my ear it's some next-level stuff, unique and seriously impressive compositions.

It's like a dozen of my favorite, divergent bands from prog to heavy fusion met head-on in the best train wreck that ever happened.

Well said as usual my friend! I didn't have the words to articulate how cool this is. As usual you nailed it man! This kid is incredible!

The drums on the first song throws me a little, it sounds like a blend of live drums & programming but I can't really tell. If it's all live drums without automation, he's a pretty disciplined cat on the Lenny White, Dennis Chambers level.

Being a young guitarist, he's still developing his own true and unique voice, (I hear some Satriani, Scott Henderson chops amongst all that metal prog) I expect a lot of impressive stuff in the future from him if he keeps this up, possibly with an unmistakeable lead voice.

Mayer Hawthorne’s Dad was the bass player in my high school band.

But I’m gonna plug my son’s band here:

And here...

Okay, so California wouldn’t play for me on here. I went hunting on YouTube and found this little gem -

To my ear, quite Bolan/Bowie-esque! Nice one Party Baby!

Thanks @alantig and Scooter

Gonna go find myself some more Hannah Wicklund. What a guitar sound! And what a big sound from a trio!

IKR! I REALLY dig her tone. I love the fact that she had the idea/dream of having the trio at 8 years old. Man! When she drops that little bare foot on that pedal board...BOOM! That's when the mojo starts flowing!

Back