(Belated) New Archon 50 Combo day

Depending on your pickups and setting, lower gain stuff is really more than attainable with the amp. The eq does a ton to shape and if you run guitar volume a little lower you have a perfect rhythm sound and just tweak up for solos. The clean channel also takes pedals really well if that's your thing. It's probably the most versatile amp I've owned.

So you're telling me there's a chance that I need one, right?

I just received my new combo less than a week ago. Playing it in the morning at about 3 on the master, after about 10 minutes into playing, the amp volume went to pretty much zero. No overdrive tone, no volume, unless you crank the master up to 9-10. All tubes are lit, but noticed after taping on 3 of them, 2-ax7 and 1-El34's they had microphonic sound through the speaker....I know I can send his amp back, but love the tone. I did order all new tubes, which should arrive in a few days.. HAS anyone experienced this b4 and how was it resolved?
Thanks Thom

Yes, very often tubes will fail in infancy, and shipping can facilitate that. I had a very similar symptom with my Archon, though not until I'd had it a while. I expected the PI to be bad, but found it was one of the other ones, can't remember offhand which. Nonetheless, 5 minutes of tube swaps and I was running again. Gigging the amp with no problems.

Best bet is to swap in a known good 12AX7 into one slot at a time until the sound comes back. Then ask the dealer you bought from to send you a tube or credit the price of a tube. Microphonic does not necessarily mean bad, and I would argue that the bad tube is less likely to be microphonic, as it has no gain.

I have the 100 watt Archon. Samr thint happened to me on the lead channel. The volume went as if it were a 1 watt amp now. I swapped out all the tubes. Nothing. I sent it to a local guita shop and it wasnt fixed. So I finally contacted Shane from Customer Service at PRS. He walked me through on how to sent it back to PRS. Turned out it was a bad capacitor in thr 3rd gain stage. Got it back and I haven't had a problem since. If the tube swap doesn't help. Try the fuses. If not your best option is to send it to PRS to have it serviced. After sending mine back and getting it back, I fell in love with my Archon AGAIN and found a DEEPER respect for PRS.

Back