Beginner Looking for Guidance

Sawgrass

I've been playing for about 6 months and have 2 low end electric guitars, both with fixed bridges. I am considering trading up to either a Tremonti SE or an SE Custom 24. I like to play classic rock, hard rock, and metal. I have a few questions: (1) are these guitars good choices for a beginner like me; (2) will my limited knowledge make it difficult for me to keep the guitar in tune when switching back and forth to drop D; and (3) will there be a heavy learning curve in changing the strings? Thanks in advance for replies and sorry if this was recently covered elsewhere in the forum.

1) Great guitar for beginners!
2) You should be able to switch from standard to drop D and go back and forth without issue
3) Changing strings should not be tough to learn. We've all learned it at some point. There are youtube videos to teach you about everything nowadays.

Great guitars!

I have the SE Tremonti Custom and I have an SE 24 Custom Floyd on layaway. I'm completely in awe of these two guitars.

You couldn't go wrong with either.

If you find yourself wanting a Tremolo, then by all means go for it. It does make string changing a bit more challenging, but nothing that couldn't be learned. I imagine it would be worth the effort if you want the Tremolo, though! Either of these guitars would work well for you.

Kevin

Tremonti SE's are all over Craigslist for $3-400. I would highly recommend one. Reasoning being that they are solid guitars and will be great for a beginner. They stay in tune relatively well, sound good and are more adjustable than many lower end guitars. I would recommend one without a tremolo simply to help you become more acquainted with the guitar before trying too many new things. Learning to string and tune your guitar well, along with checking your intonation, will benefit you in the long run. I understand very well about changing tunings on guitars frequently. I would recommend learning about aspects of music theory, if you don't already, and understand how notes, frequency and tunings tie together.

I only have trems so I can't really compare them to hard-tails, but I haven't found them very difficult to change strings on. Tuning stability is good (as long as your nut's in good shape), but you do have to be prepared to spend a bit more time tuning and re-tuning each string when you change tunings.

It shouldn't be so bad with just Drop D. The other strings may go out a little, but you may not even notice the difference. The more you adjust the string tension though (especially the lower strings), the more that moves the trem and the other strings. So if you want to play D Drop C or something, or even Eb, you'll probably have to go through each string at least twice to get it right on.

Still, there are things you can't really do without a trem, so I think it's worth having at least one. :)

1- PRS SE is the best budget electric on the market, go to the guitar store and compare it to anything in it's price range.
2-I would think constantly turning that low E tuning peg might wear out the groove in the nut over time, a lot of guys keep a separate guitar for D-tune stuff.
3-If you learn the correct way the first time, there shouldn't be any learning curve.

I have several high end/high cost guitars including PRS but my Tremonti SE is my go to guitar - you could easily gig with it, many do.

Mines black with birds and binding on body, neck and head:
a0ojj1y.jpg

I paid £399 ($570) for it new in 2014, what's not to like?

I did change the pups but that was my personal choice, there was nothing wrong with the originals.

I'm "borrowing my son's" ZM right now when I go out for lessons. My instructor has a SAS, but can't get over how good the ZM sounds. No term, but an incredible guitar for the price.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably end up getting the Custom 24, but will play each one more time first. I tried a few Ibanez models and a Gibson Les Paul Studio today and now feel even more confident PRS is the way to go.

Like Mixstar above, my go to guitar is also a Tremonti SE (previous owner put in white Seymour Duncans in her; Invader in the bridge, Alnico Pro II in the neck). While I treasure my Core-model DGT and Les Paul Platinum Studio (with EMG 57/66 set), the Tremonti is the perfect weapon along with my Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster half stack.
2017-04-16%2021.26.14_zpsw9x8vdfx.jpg

Either SE would be fine, as the guys above stated...you might also look around for a "Hipshot D-Tuner" , if you just tune your Low E down sometimes...these have a thumb lever that makes it incredibly easy, and can be installed pretty cheaply...check them out, too. And Good luck.

Is it the Line6 wireless system you're using?
How does it works?
Ahh yes. The Line 6 Relay G10. I have to say that it's THE best wireless unit I've ever had. It's so convenient and easy to use. You just plug it into your guitar and you're good to go. No frequencies to dial in or anything complicated to fiddle about with and there is ZERO tone suckage like a lot of the wireless units out there that sell for way much more. Also, one of the cool things about is that you do not have to buy any batteries or body pack. To charge it, which holds about 8-10 hours playing time, you just plug the transmitter back into the receiver base (which sits on my pedal board and doesn't take too much space) and so far, I've had no interference of any kind from anything. My co-guitarist in my band also went out and got one recently. He was a Shure user for many years and he also loves it. It's priced quite reasonably too ($186 brand new at GC). The only two hangups one might have is that for some guitars (like a Jackson or Gibson V), the transmitter unit doesn't bend on an angle or anything, it just sticks straight out. At first, I thought i would have broken it off running around on stage but so far, it's not been a problem at all. The other slight con is that it's powered by a USB mini cable and the port where you plug it into isn't a very snug fit sometimes so you have to be careful with the receiver unit and keep spare USB mini cables. Those two things aside, you'd be hard pressed to find a better digital wireless at a reasonable price. They really are that good.

Last edited:
Ahh yes. The Line 6 Relay G10. I have to say that it's THE best wireless unit I've ever had. It's so convenient and easy to use. You just plug it into your guitar and you're good to go. No frequencies to dial in or anything complicated to fiddle about with and there is ZERO tone suckage like a lot of the wireless units out there that sell for way much more. Also, one of the cool things about is that you do not have to buy any batteries or body pack. To charge it, which holds about 8-10 hours playing time, you just plug the transmitter back into the receiver base (which sits on my pedal board and doesn't take too much space) and so far, I've had no interference of any kind from anything. My co-guitarist in my band also went out and got one recently. He was a Shure user for many years and he also loves it. It's priced quite reasonably too ($186 brand new at GC). The only two hangups one might have is that for some guitars (like a Jackson or Gibson V), the transmitter unit doesn't bend on an angle or anything, it just sticks straight out. At first, I thought i would have broken it off running around on stage but so far, it's not been a problem at all. The other slight con is that it's powered by a USB mini cable and the port where you plug it into isn't a very snug fit sometimes so you have to be careful with the receiver unit and keep spare USB mini cables. Those two things aside, you'd be hard pressed to find a better digital wireless at a reasonable price. They really are that good.
Thanks a lot.
Now I need one.
;)

I only have trems so I can't really compare them to hard-tails, but I haven't found them very difficult to change strings on. Tuning stability is good (as long as your nut's in good shape), but you do have to be prepared to spend a bit more time tuning and re-tuning each string when you change tunings.

It shouldn't be so bad with just Drop D. The other strings may go out a little, but you may not even notice the difference. The more you adjust the string tension though (especially the lower strings), the more that moves the trem and the other strings. So if you want to play D Drop C or something, or even Eb, you'll probably have to go through each string at least twice to get it right on.

Still, there are things you can't really do without a trem, so I think it's worth having at least one. :)
In my last band, we used drop D tuning a lot. I would just drop my low string and go but I could tell that I was slightly out of tune with my singers guitar.

I'm the only guitar in my current band and I can't tell that I'm out of tune in drop D.

Love my Tremonti SE. Picked up some USA Tremonti pickups and dropped them in there. Perfection.

Really wish they would start making his USA model with wide/fat necks again.

SE's are excellent guitars. Wouldn't buy any other brand.

Good luck on your journey!

Back