Bands that should've lasted longer...

God, I haven't listened to that HSAS album in years. And yeah, I loved "Whiter Shade Of Pale" from it. Guess I'll have to look for that CD at lunch today - going to a store w/CDs 50% off because they're going all-vinyl.

God, I haven't listened to that HSAS album in years. And yeah, I loved "Whiter Shade Of Pale" from it. Guess I'll have to look for that CD at lunch today - going to a store w/CDs 50% off because they're going all-vinyl.
Wait. You can still buy good music in stores? Haven't seen that in a while.

Back in my youth, my first roadie gig was for two Local bands from upstate NY. The NY Rockers and 805 played a S.A.D.D. Concert at my high school. Both were excellent cover bands that had released albums. NY Rockers played hard rock like Loverboy, Night Ranger. Foreigner and the like. 805 played more Prog Rock like, Genesis, Police, etc. I see 805 has some videos on YouTube from back in the day, but alas, it seems they are no more.

Shout out to Goldtop Lloyd for reminding me about this one off.....HSAS...hot stuff. Should have been more than 1!

A classic, love it! My first job was in Chicago at one of the big record stores, and we got a box of cut-outs of that album (link, for you young'uns). They didn't sell even marked down to 1.99 (ugh!), so after a month she told me to take them out to the trash. I carried the remaining inventory out when I left and took it home with me, and passed out copies to everyone I knew. Even a few people on the street to lighten the box on the way home. :D

Good times.

Wait. You can still buy good music in stores? Haven't seen that in a while.

Yeah - I'm lucky because there are a couple decent stores in the area. I still end up getting most stuff at Amazon just because of the selection, but every now and then...

That said, I forgot to look specifically for HSAS yesterday. And XTC. Not a good day for me searching for all-caps bands! But I did do something I haven't done in a LONG time - I came out of the store with a stack of CDs that was tough to hold in one hand. Eight CDs for a total of $70, including Pete Townshend's "Scoop" and "Another Scoop", Black Sabbath "The End" (the Blu-Ray version!), Frank Zappa's "Lather" (a configuration I didn't have - didn't need this, but this isn't about need, Tammy!), a Joe Bonamassa live set (and passed on two or three others), and the Tommy Emmanuel/David Grisman "Pickin'".

I was chatting a bit w/the owner about one purchase - John Campbell's "Howling Mercy" ($1.50 - I bought it for my friend). To my surprise, the guy was familiar with Mr. Campbell. He said there's one album he can't listen to, but he couldn't remember which one, but it has a song about a kid dying. The kid's name is Billy - I'm very familiar with the song. It's one of Campbell's best - it's called "Tiny Coffin", and yeah, if I had a kid named Billy, I don't think I'd be listening to it, either.

John Campbell died from heart failure at 41 in 1993. He should have lasted longer. (Gotta post that over in Lloyd's thread.)

Side note - the owner of the store told us the selection was kind of picked over. When we walked out, my wife said, "That was picked over? I thought they had a good selection - how much would you have bought if they weren't picked over?"

Shout out to Goldtop Lloyd for reminding me about this one off.....HSAS...hot stuff. Should have been more than 1!

I have copies of this on vinyl, cassette and cd and yeah the vinyl is a cutout! What a great record that was totally overlooked, I just wish it was longer than 36 minutes and change!

My choice for bands that should've been bigger is Streets. Lead by former Kansas singer Steve Walsh they featured Mike Slamer on guitar, Billy Greer on bass and Tim Gehrt on drums. They released 2 studio albums and a live recording for King Biscuit Flower Hour before Walsh left to go back to Kansas.

Slamer later covered this song, which he co-wrote, with Steelhouse Lane.

Power Station had potential to do a lot with melding Funk & Rock with Palmer on vocals, some former Duran Duran members and the drummer from Chic. The one single was huge, great short guitar solo, but I guess it was a one shot for the 80's supergroup.

Blue Murder. I saw them in Memphis back when their first album was released. John Sykes was amazing. Tony Franklin was incredible as well. He played the clarinet for his bass solo. He said it was his solo and that he'll play what he wants to play. He's really good. He'd give Kenny G a run for his money.

Power Station had potential to do a lot with melding Funk & Rock with Palmer on vocals, some former Duran Duran members and the drummer from Chic. The one single was huge, great short guitar solo, but I guess it was a one shot for the 80's supergroup.

Love them, and blasted this album as a kid. That drum sound (SSL listen) was the sh!t at that time, and I’m still waiting for it to come back... Maybe Bruno and his boys will do it.

Also produced by the late, great, Bernard Edwards, one of the finest bassists the world has ever heard.

Blue Murder. I saw them in Memphis back when their first album was released. John Sykes was amazing. Tony Franklin was incredible as well. He played the clarinet for his bass solo. He said it was his solo and that he'll play what he wants to play. He's really good. He'd give Kenny G a run for his money.

Agreed!

I love this riff!!!

Arc Angels were the first to cross my mind also. They have been part of my playlist for years.
I think HSAS was planned as a one album deal. They recorded another album a few years ago that never was released.

Despite the OPs desire to focus on mainly less popular bands, I have one that meets the thread topic on a grand scale.

Led Zeppelin! Think about it. One of the greatest bands of all time, still wildly popular today, From their first album to their breakup.... about 10 years. Not counting one time reunions, etc. They were together barely over 10 years. And the last of their studio albums done while the band was together was almost 40 years ago! Compare that to my boys in Rush.

I'm pretty sure Sergio would call you a "Hershers" after the Cinderella part dude...just sayin...:D

“Hesher” is the word. A “Hersher” sounds like something you’d find smashed in the back end of a pair of spandex.... Which come to think of it, sounds more appropriate for Cinderella.

So you’re right. :p

A prog rock band that took cues from jazz rock and sci fi themes and made a good contribution to the style of progressive rock with intricate structures, known as the Canterbury Scene. Admitedlly Steve Hillage's singing is... an acquired taste and lyricism isn't the best, but I feel the music itself compensates for it.

And this progressive screamo band Gospel is another one that disbanded too soon:

I don't really dig screamo aside from Ampere or Fiesta Bizarra but this band's vocalist doesn't irritate me like other do. While the guitar sound is kinda this I love how melodic and dissonant their guitar player gets. Their keyboardist, drummer, and bassist have some mad chops too.

They disbanded in 2006 got back together in 2010 but only for so long to release this one song where they start leaning more into prog rock territory and less screamo. This song is surreal to say the least:

And then Gospel broke up and never got back again.

Reactions: jxe
Back