Bad News for the Big G

Wow. I haven't been on the forum in about a week or so because I've been waiting for Sergio to buy a blue guitar and an Archon... in blue paisley. Much to my disappointment, that did not happen, so I decided I would read through this thread and catch up on all the things, clinging to the hope that poor poor misguided Serge would find his way to blue heaven.

When I was young and in my sheltered world there seemed to be two main brands with all the nostalgia, and then a bunch of other brands made huge inroads into my consciousness in the 80s. Back then I didn't know much about tone, and admit that I sought guitars that looked cool and we're played by my heroes. What I did find over time was that not all that was glitzy was comfortable for me to play or had a high degree of quality. For instance, I do not like necks with 12 inch radii, necks that are very wide, and necks that have thin dimensions front to back. I also did not like heavy guitars, and guys on stage with me despised it when wore pointy weapons around my neck. Ok, so some guys got stabbed and punches were thrown but it's not like the music suffered that much...

Eventually i got to an economic point where i could vote with my wallet three to four times a year. What i discovered was that many of those things i desired due to emotion and sentiment were not pleasing to me in reality. For instance, how many pieces of a particluar humbucking model does one have to try to find a "good" one? Fit, finish, and consistancy all became important to me when voting with my wallet.

At some point i began to claim an understanding of tone and thus began my experimentation with woods and pickups. What i found was that some manufacturers kept innovating while others did not. Those who move forward and adapted have kept my interest. Are there misses? Indeed, but i'm always eager to see what they'll come up with next.

What were we talking about again? Oh, yeah: innovate or die; improvise, overcome, adapt; there is no such thing as a wrong note only a poor resolution.

He may or may not have some points regarding the music stores - but to blame Gibson's woes on that is just crazy.
Remember the 30% price hike anybody?

He has nobody to blame but himself. I bought 2 Gibsons brand new, both returned cos they weren't good enough, tall frets, neck angle, etc, that's not the shop's fault.

I guess it's the shop's fault that the 2015 gibsons had a 7 string neck and a clumsy box on the headstock that nobody wanted.

Seems that Henry J's acquisitions of unrelated businesses as a way to look forward has them moving backward, but even in all of that, if the employees are unhappy, treated badly, and the decisions for R&D are obvious non starters to everyone except the one forwarding the idea, they are where they are.

It'll take a brave lot to turn it around. Much like the AMC days for Harley, and where they've come from/to. It's always darkest before the dawn.

Back