Bad News for the Big G

They were discussing this in the satellite radio the other day, except their focus was the lack of a "guitar hero" to stimulate sales instead of their poor business decisions and lack of quality control.

I feel bad for Gibson as well but this was going to happen. Upper management is mostly to blame in my opinion. Take a great company and run it into the ground.

Hope they do get things turned around but big changes will have to happen first.

It sucks... and the human aspect is deplorable. It's all so unnecessary. Management has to answer for all of it. They are the ones allowing less than stellar product out the door. They are the ones creating and allowing a crappy work environment. They are the ones coming up with silly product that doesn't sell.
Sad indeed.
Firebird X anyone?

Guys....this isn't management. It's an industry thing. Gibson will only be the first domino to fall. Eventually the entire American made guitar market will crumble, unless changes are made to the business model. As peoples expendable income becomes less and less, they turn away from American made to Asian and Mexican made. I have preached on this forum that the only way for American made guitars to survive will be for all the brands to go direct to consumer. Don't be so naive to think that PRS doesn't have their own debt obligations and cash flow issues like everyone else. I've heard the stories from former employees. If PRS went direct to consumer and was able to slash guitar prices by 40%, it would be huge. I'd be so bold to say that the first big company that has the stones to make such a big change will be the one that survives for the long term. In this internet age, dealers aren't required. I'd bet most of us have bought plenty of guitars without having touched them first. Imagine if you could go to the PRS website, click on a market place link, and just get a tiled view of all the guitars ready for new homes? Or, being able to do a custom order using drop down menus?

That rosewood confiscation by the government in 2014 didn't do them any favors in this regard. Bad business decisions, sure, but they fought the bag bad wolf and lost as well.

You know....sometimes having a long and storied history can be a real disadvantage.
I don’t dispute that Big G has demonstrated some real “head scratcher” decision making over the last few years...and quality is always the hallmark of a great management team and their ability to maintain a happy/productive/engaged workforce...But...
The problem is that every time G or F or M or any of the iconic brands tries anything highly innovative, they get harshly criticized. And then when they make high quality historically accurate reissues, people whine about them being outdated technology or how the price is ridiculously higher than 30-40 years ago. If they release a new mainstream model that incorporates the features/styling modern players prefer they get accused of copying (insert the name of your favorite newer guitar builder here). It’s a tough game to win...and there are always those rooting for the formerly top dog to take a fall. I’m not a huge G fan, never have been, but I can’t see how an iconic American company going down is good for the guitar industry or those of us who love guitars.

How much of this is really just a guitar company problem tho?

They shuttered Cakewalk, own Onkyo/Teac/Tascam/Cerwin-Vega in addition to Baldwin Pianos. Do we know that those aren't all giant boat anchors?

Not saying that the guitar side of the house is nec in good shape, but it's a big conglomerate now...

Also, curse them for ruining Tobias and Steinberger.

You know....sometimes having a long and storied history can be a real disadvantage.
I don’t dispute that Big G has demonstrated some real “head scratcher” decision making over the last few years...and quality is always the hallmark of a great management team and their ability to maintain a happy/productive/engaged workforce...But...
The problem is that every time G or F or M or any of the iconic brands tries anything highly innovative, they get harshly criticized. And then when they make high quality historically accurate reissues, people whine about them being outdated technology or how the price is ridiculously higher than 30-40 years ago. If they release a new mainstream model that incorporates the features/styling modern players prefer they get accused of copying (insert the name of your favorite newer guitar builder here). It’s a tough game to win...and there are always those rooting for the formerly top dog to take a fall. I’m not a huge G fan, never have been, but I can’t see how an iconic American company going down is good for the guitar industry or those of us who love guitars.
Yeah, I never got all the hate for the robo-tuners. We'll all be rocking those in 10yrs.

MaGic was also a cool idea.

I think it is largely due to mismanagement, coupled with a difficult market, but mostly mismanagement.

Fender has had their troubles, but I read in another report that their credit rating is improving and they are working down their debt. Revenue at PRS went up 15% in '17. So a "blame the market" excuse doesn't fly with me.

Worst case, I could see them filing chapter 11 and restructuring, selling off some of the non-guitar businesses, and instituting some big changes. It's such a well loved brand, I can't see it going away.

It’s pretty sad. When dealers selling a good amount of high end models decide to stop carrying the brand, there’s issues. Bigger than the lack of guitar heroes present in the world today. You need to adapt and put out quality products at every price point. I sure don’t feel like there’s a lack of want for their guitars, but there’s a lot more involved in this than that.

It's very ironic to know that Henry J., who was credited as saving Gibson from ruin in the 80s, is now to blame for its ruin in the Millennium. I'm not going to repeat all the missteps that we know that Gibson took recently, but when you constantly regurgitate old guitar designs, attempt to radicalize them (Reverse Flying V, anyone?) and then slap a $4000 price tag on them, expecting them to fly off the shelves is akin to waiting for your fairy godmother to arrive and make your beer gut go buh-bye. In my opinion, Gibson needs to fire King Henry and his Knights of the Idiotic Table, move back to Kalamazoo and make guitars like they used to. But as for me, I'm a PRS guy from here on out and that's where my allegiance (and money) will go to.

Look up info on CEO Henry Juszkiewicz. Add to his poor business decisions his utter disregard for employees and customers. It's definitely a management problem,

Some folks I know and respect a whole lot paint a similar picture about his treatment of employees.

I never really enjoy when people, who don't know my job, speculate about how they think I should be doing it..and I'm a few months off from completing my MBA...so I'll assume it's a tough business and give him the benefit of the doubt there,

They are releasing an LP with shaggin' wagon stripes (one inspired by the A-Team) for $4k...

I like the paintjobs but COME ON MAN!

Back