Avandra - Tymora Full Album Release

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Volteau, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Volteau

Volteau the Bard

Hey guys,

So, after a few years working on my album, it is finally ready to be released, and so released it is! Went through quite a few hiccups in the recording of it, to the point where this last version is actually the third iteration of it. I scrapped four songs from this definitive version, which I will release at some point as “b-sides.”

Bandcamp:

https://avandra.bandcamp.com/album/tymora

So, what’s Avandra?

Avandra is a one-man (soon to change) progressive metal/progressive rock band from San Juan, PR - a place not thought of as being a mecca of progressive metal and progressive rock. But this is exactly one of the reasons that inspired me to create this album. I hope that my project sparks the curiosity of the metal community in general about the things going on down here.

Influences: I have what I call the Holy Trinity: Opeth, Porcupine Tree (SW), and Kevin Moore-era Dream Theater. There are many, many bands that come and go in terms of quick influences (like Russian Circles, which was the band that actually got me to start recording this album in the first place), but those three bands are foundational to my music, and just to who I am in general.

The Purpose: Avandra was always kind of a vessel between concepts and imagery that have influenced me throughout my life, and their realization through a musical journey. That’s why I try to stray a bit from the uber-technical side of things, and concentrate much more on all the instruments working together to create ambient pieces that appeal to your emotional and reasonable sides.

Did you upload album in mp3?

No. I did not. Mp3s tend to kill the quality of the music, so decided to upload it in wav format, for a fuller experience. You can, of course, convert it to mp3 using any of the available online resources, like http://media.io/

To understand why I am reluctant to upload my music in mp3 format, see this article:

http://www.emusician.com/how-to/1334/in-the-mix-compression-blues/43156

I like the music, but dude, I kinda dislike the vocals!

Not a problem! When you buy the digital or physical album, you’ll also get to download the instrumental versions of the songs as well!

Can I get the stems for one of your songs? Try to re-mix them?

With the purchase of the digital or physical album, PM me and I’ll make sure to get the stems or the song of your choosing to you!

And the artwork?

You can download the pdf for it, which includes the booklet with the lyrics, yes!

Why no FFO (For Fans Of)?

When demoing out the songs to a few buddies of mine, they all heard something different: from a “modern version” of Pink Floyd, to the more obvious Dream Theater influences, to obscure ones which I can’t recall at the moment. So, you hear what you wanna hear!

What’s next?

Besides getting a band together and playing live, the second album is already 90% done. It’ll be released on May 5, 2018 (trying to go Beatles-esque and release two albums a year would kill me). I will try to release a small EP for the end of this year, though.

What's next in the coming moment? Fallout 4 or TW3...

#1 Volteau, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
    dsenoj and Dusty Chalk like this.
  2. alantig

alantig Sassyless pants

Dude! Sweet!

I will need to know when the CD is available. I'm only about halfway through Threshold Of Evolution and I'm sold. Nice stuff!

3. Volteau

Volteau the Bard

Thanks man! Awesome that you liked it :) And yes! I will definitely be letting ya know when it's out, as the mixed versions sound pretty insane!

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  4. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Ditto! I'd spend money on this! Very nicely done!

5. toothace

toothace At least I'm good at dentistry

Good stuff!! Be sure to post when more is available! Finally getting a listen at work this morning...tried to listen during that music show last night but was reprimanded for being too noisy.:eek:

6. Ovibos

Ovibos No, YOU'RE a New Member!

This is great! Definitely looking forward to the release.

Proggy, crunchy, no screaming. Love me some Periphery, but sometimes we need a break from screamed vocals.

I saw on Threshold you referenced Porcupine Tree and ISIS (both great) - I'd put this in the vein of Frost*, Skyharbor, TesseracT, Chimp Spanner. Basically, my normal playlist...

7. bodia

If you haven't, check out Bad Salad, Astra, Theocracy......

8. Volteau

Volteau the Bard

Thanks for all the great comments :) I love Frost* and all the other guys in the list. Keshav, who is the founder and guitarist of Skyharbor, is actually the dude who is mixing the album. Known him for a few years now so decided to have him do it.

And yeah man, I'm not a fan of yelling when it comes to my own music. I don't mind listening to it (Opeth is in my holy trinity, for example), but as far as my music, nah. I like me some harmonies.

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  9. goat-n-gitter

goat-n-gitter Dismembered

Those songs are great! I'm looking forward to hearing more! You're a very talented guy!

10. vchizzle

vchizzle Birdman.

Will give a listen in the morning. Or maybe on my way home tonight.

11. vchizzle

vchizzle Birdman.

Nice playing! Will be interested to hear final mixes mastered.

12. Volteau

Volteau the Bard

Thanks for the comments! I have a soundcloud page where I upload random ideas and the like, so any of you can check it out if ya fancy it:

https://soundcloud.com/volteau

13. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenführer

Dude! Love this stuff. Cheers.

Volteau likes this.
  14. The Fight

The Fight Long Hair Demigod

Sounds great!

Volteau likes this.
  15. Volteau

Volteau the Bard

16. Volteau

Volteau the Bard

Quick update: Keshav Dhar had to step down do to time constraints. Stepping up is Bob St. John. He has worked with the likes of Extreme, Dokken, Collective Souls, Duran Duran, so yeah.... dude knows what he is doing! Expect an early-April release!

Will have packages including t-shirts, the stems of Threshold to mix however you see fit, and a physical CD copy of the album available by then!

Edit: The album has entered into the Mastering phase, as well.

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  17. Ovibos

Ovibos No, YOU'RE a New Member!

Wow. Heavy hitter!

Volteau likes this.
  18. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenführer

Just curious because I like music production technical details -- is Bob St. John mastering, or mastering/engineering/producing? Either way, very cool, good stuff...definitely getting those stems...if for no other reason because I love hardcore closeups of guitar-work. I once was at soundcheck for Leaves' Eyes -- and don't get me wrong, they sound great mixed, but I was drooling over how good the guitars and bass sounded when they were working on those.

Volteau likes this.
  19. alantig

alantig Sassyless pants

Nice! Keep the good news coming - I'm ready to order!

Volteau likes this.
  20. bodia

Ditto!

Volteau likes this.