Article: "Why New Amps Are Better Than Vintage Ones"

Hunter@PRS

PRS all day, every day.
Staff member
Just stopping by to share this cool article titled "Why New Amps Are Better Than Vintage Ones."

Paul was interviewed for it, and it shares some info on PRS amps, here's the link to the story: http://bit.ly/NewAmps

Interesting article. I owned vintage amps when they were new amps, and I have to say, my PRS amps are my favorite amps, ever.

I can't make that claim about all new amps, but there are quite a few really nice new amp makers out there.

Anyway, I agree with the article.

Saw this on FB yesterday, but did not get a chance to read it. I now have. I agree with the article: mid- to high-end amp manufacturing has to be far more reliable today due to better components and more reliable manufacturing methods. The el cheapo brands might not be any more reliable than an old beat up Fender amp from the 1960s, but I have to think that today's PRS, Mesa-Boogie, and similar amps are going to be much more consistent in performance than even the most pristinely-maintained "vintage" amp.

And for the average or even above-average-but-not-God-like guitar player, a modern amp is going to be the far more cost-effective solution. Yeah, folks like Gilmour or Angus Young or Slash can afford to have a zillion "vintage" amps on the road with them in case of failure. But most folks simply can't do that, logistically and fiscally.

I do wonder whether part of the "vintage amp mystique" comes from that phase in the 1980s when the traditionally good brand names started to produce less-than-good amps (I'm thinking Fender, Marshall), using solid state and mass-production techniques in an effort to cut costs. As a result, in the 1990s you had to dig for a truly "vintage" amp if you wanted that old vintage tone. Since then things seem to have changed around with the once great names producing better amps again, but they created a huge space to fill with awesome amps from folks like PRS. And I'm never looking back as a result. Why get a Marshall when I can get a PRS HXDA that does a wide range of Marshall tones plus a whole lot more?

Dang it, HXDA GAS re-ignited!

I recently went 100% modeling for my live rig - Line 6 Helix rack/controller. Prior to that, I had a sweet arsenal of vintage Blackface and Tweed Fenders. I gigged for 25 years using a Rivera M100 amp. I LOVED the Fenders for he coolness factor, but most of them were museum pieces I'd play once or twice a year. The Rivera was the "road-warrior". Once I went to the modeling world (which SO much joy - I won't go into it here, but I will just say everything about this rig is better, lol) the vintage amps got sold. I had three Rivera amps and 5 Rivera cabs. Kept one head and one cab (a 2x10, lol) for nostalgia reasons.

The sale of my vintage Fender amp collection enabled me to buy 10 PRS'!!! I don't miss them at all.

My point? Yeah, newer tube amps are WAY more reliable, but the new, higher end modeling stuff is moving things even farther forward!!

My point? Yeah, newer tube amps are WAY more reliable, but the new, higher end modeling stuff is moving things even farther forward!!

Since all a modeler can do is model/profile what already exists in real amps, I think it's a stretch to say that these devices move the bar forward.

It's a tool that's certainly a great convenience; it can be a money-saver, and it has its attractions, but I don't think a broader statement than that can be made.

Even the new ones like the Helix and the Kemper come up short in dynamic range, presence, and responsiveness to the controls on the guitar. As a result, I think they sound a bit two-dimensional, and don't mix well (I make my living in the studio, so that's pretty important). They're harder to do subtler things with, in my opinion. And they all have a degree of latency that, for me, requires a playing adjustment.

This isn't to say they're somehow bad, or not useful. They're just not for everyone.

On the other hand, for live shows I think they're very convenient. Light weight. Less cartage/shipping cost on a tour is a good thing. Bands spend a fortune shipping amps and cabs around the world. Great backup to have if you use a tube amp rig is another plus. Predictability, convenience, lots of sound choices -- all good things.

But not a replacement for tube amps, more of an alternative.

Back