Are there better wiring diagrams available for a 5 way rotary switch?

SonicBlur

I recently received a 2005 Custom 24 that has seen it's share of miles (hell, someone decided to drill two nice holes for a synth pickup and now I get to look at them, LOL). I knew what I was getting into so I was fine with that but after getting the guitar, I took the electrical cover off and to my surprise I found the wiring absolutely mangled. I was able to get it to work using the diagrams available online but I still seem to be having issues. Even that, it doesn't sound as great as I had hoped.

Positions 1, 3, and 5 work just fine. Positions 2, 4 are completely dead. I've completely checked and double checked everything, nothing. I am pretty sure I want to just switch to a regular 3 way toggle with the push/pull pots but I would like to keep this guitar as original as possible. The original owner already lost the tuners that the 05's came with so that's another search.

Thanks in advance.

An '05 would have the PCB rotary which is straightforward to wire: http://prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/schem08/custom5wayrotary.pdf. If it's been messed with, someone might have shorted a connection or maybe there's solder overlapping somewhere it doesn't belong?

Switching to the toggle and push/pull is a very common change and was a factory option at the time, too.

Phase II tuners are readily available if you want to return the tuners to stock.

That's the wiring diagram that I found, it's impossibly hard to see. Its so small, for some reason, LOL! Thanks for the response, I'm probably not going to waste too much time, just swap to the three way toggle and be done with it.

Thanks again!

I recently received a 2005 Custom 24 that has seen it's share of miles (hell, someone decided to drill two nice holes for a synth pickup and now I get to look at them, LOL). I knew what I was getting into so I was fine with that but after getting the guitar, I took the electrical cover off and to my surprise I found the wiring absolutely mangled. I was able to get it to work using the diagrams available online but I still seem to be having issues. Even that, it doesn't sound as great as I had hoped.

Positions 1, 3, and 5 work just fine. Positions 2, 4 are completely dead. I've completely checked and double checked everything, nothing. I am pretty sure I want to just switch to a regular 3 way toggle with the push/pull pots but I would like to keep this guitar as original as possible. The original owner already lost the tuners that the 05's came with so that's another search.

Thanks in advance.
the PCB switch is really straight forward to wire. there should be 6 solder pads, two sets of 3, each labeled B,W,R respectively. if the prs pickups are still in the guitar just wire it according to the color code and youre good. if there are SD or otherwise then take the finish of one coil and the start of the other (usually white and green) and wire those to the red pad. wire the white and blacks up respectively depending on if you want in-phase or out, etc.
wire the braid from the pickup to ground.

n2VQX.png

Hi there! if i want to remove the tone pot from this diagram, is just a matter of cutting the connections to this pot right?

thanks.

the PCB switch is really straight forward to wire. there should be 6 solder pads, two sets of 3, each labeled B,W,R respectively. if the prs pickups are still in the guitar just wire it according to the color code and youre good. if there are SD or otherwise then take the finish of one coil and the start of the other (usually white and green) and wire those to the red pad. wire the white and blacks up respectively depending on if you want in-phase or out, etc.
wire the braid from the pickup to ground.

n2VQX.png

Hello everibody, this diagram is just fine if you dont have a sweet switch mounted. I got a 1988 PRS custom 24 and I just bought a new rotary switch, very different from the wafer one I had before. Point is the sweet switch. Does anyone have any idea how to set it up in the right way?

Back