Archon vs. Diezel Einstein

You aksed fer it

The Einstein clean tone suffers a bit, as it's a shared mode with Mega. I had to choose between clean and Mega for settings. Guess which won...

The Archon has a much cleaner clean.

And another, with tone and volume leveled out a bit, plus some backed-off volume knob action.

EDIT: I got them even closer in tone after this vid, but I'm tired of uploading. Slightly different dynamics, but awfully close.

The Archon gain channel has a bit more low end heft to it, while the Einstein gain channels have a bit more bite. I wonder if that's just an artifact of where you have the depth and presence controls set on the Archon.

The Archon gain channel has a bit more low end heft to it, while the Einstein gain channels have a bit more bite. I wonder if that's just an artifact of where you have the depth and presence controls set on the Archon.

Yes, definitely. I got them closer yet. Though there is still a bit of difference in character. The einstein is a bit looser in the mids, the archon a bit more compressed. Subtle.

Thanks Les!

Here is a bit closer. Hair metal edition...

Note that the knobs on the Archon can tune a WIDE array of tone, where the Einstein sounds pretty much the same + or - versus the tone knobs. If you like the sound, the Einstein is easier. If you want variety, the Archon seems to be more pliable.

Clearly the 6L6 vs EL34 come is here. Archon low end is hard to trim and mids are thicker. Einstein is more focused and gritty.

I love them both. One has more meat, the other, more scratch.

NOTE: I SWEAR they sound closer in person. The iPhone seems to accentuate the lows in the Archon. Maybe a proximity thing, the two amps are in the two different cabinets.

Note that the knobs on the Archon can tune a WIDE array of tone, where the Einstein sounds pretty much the same + or - versus the tone knobs. If you like the sound, the Einstein is easier. If you want variety, the Archon seems to be more pliable.
That's all I needed to hear! Thanks! (Not that I'm not still listening to the clips, but that is a MAJOR factor in choosing an amp, and the Archon continues to blow me away by how differently I can make it sound one day from the next, yet always easy to dial "great" in with whatever tone/gain settings I choose.

Yeah, really, it’s great to have both, I’d guess. They sound different, they do different things, and that can’t be a bad thing!

Since you mentioned the Archons versatility, I'd like to know a ball park of the settings on the gain channel, specifically the P and T knobs because that sounds more aggressive on top than mine usually does, but I haven't tried P and T up with gain up as well. I did it when I was going for Mcrunch, JCM800-ish but with a little more gain. Ha, that's like 8:00 to MAYBE 8:30 range on the Achon gain knob! This has that level of presence and top end sizzle, but with a lot more gain.

Since you mentioned the Archons versatility, I'd like to know a ball park of the settings on the gain channel, specifically the P and T knobs because that sounds more aggressive on top than mine usually does, but I haven't tried P and T up with gain up as well. I did it when I was going for Mcrunch, JCM800-ish but with a little more gain. Ha, that's like 8:00 to MAYBE 8:30 range on the Achon gain knob! This has that level of presence and top end sizzle, but with a lot more gain.

I tried for as raw as I could get without sounding too thin or squealy. I'm playing it through a vertical 2x12 recto with V30s.

I'm playing my tele through it with these settings now. It's fantastic. Rolling back tone and volume are highly effective, and flat out everything on 11 sounds huge.

Is that where your masters were when you recorded? That's pretty low, which may explain what I heard. It doesn't "fill out" til it's a little louder than that, at least on my 50. What kind of volume would you say you had in the room? That looks pretty low, again, compared to how loud mine would be with the master there.

I thought the hair metal clip you got them dialed in to accomplish similar things. Different but in the same neighborhood. Nice job, cool comp!

Loud enough to chase my wife out of the house
Help a brother out here. Can you teach me how to do that? Mine doesn't run when it's loud, she just gets grumpy. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's the combination of volume and my playing though :eek::(

I wasn't kidding. She literally ran out. I guess I'm just predictable. She knew that no force on earth would stop me.

She's also incredibly supportive of my playing.

She's also incredibly supportive of my playing.

You must be better than me. My wife supports the "idea" of my playing. Heck, she's bought me 3 PRS guitars! But she doesn't support the idea of me playing at high volumes. So yeah, you're better than me. :)

Back