Archon Noise Turning Bass Knob and engaging loop

BobVila406

Hello!
I purchased an Archon 25 last week and I am noticing a little airy sounding noise when I turn the global depth control knob. Should I be concerned about that?
Also, when I engage my effects loop there is a hum, but if I put those pedals in front of the amp there is no hum... any ideas?
Thanks!!

Hello!
I purchased an Archon 25 last week and I am noticing a little airy sounding noise when I turn the global depth control knob. Should I be concerned about that?
Also, when I engage my effects loop there is a hum, but if I put those pedals in front of the amp there is no hum... any ideas?
Thanks!!

Airy sounding noises are often preamp tubes. Easy to check.

Effects loop problems are often ground loops, but sometimes not, how is your pedalboard powered and connected? If you unplug the pedalboard and the noise isn't there, I'd suspect a grounding issue.

I never use effects loops for all the issues they have.

I'll check the tubes, I have all pedals individually powered by 2 Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+'s. I'll check unplugging it at lunch,
Thanks!

The Archon loop doesn't like some particular pedals. Chorus, phasey type pedals seem to cause the most issue in my experience. I only run delay and verb thru the loop though, I like everything else out front. Try starting with one pedal in the loop and adding one more at a time. That'll help you track down the issue.

The Archon loop doesn't like some particular pedals. Chorus, phasey type pedals seem to cause the most issue in my experience. I only run delay and verb thru the loop though, I like everything else out front. Try starting with one pedal in the loop and adding one more at a time. That'll help you track down the issue.

my Archon 100 which has the loop fix is still loud with no pedals in the loop at all.

Little noise coming from the amp when turning the global DEPTH knob is normal with the Archon...Someone at PRS explained it to me why...But I forgot:) So nothing to worry about! I had 4 Archons, all had that little noise while turning the DEPTH knob.
Other words from the effect loop...Newer Archons have the effect loop modded, so no noise anymore...But there are some pedals that cause the loop to hum, so maybe contact PRS about it to see if your amp is modded. That will improve the issue!

Back