Archon Hiss with FX8 (Solved)

BobVila406

Hey problem solvers ;)

I just got a Fractal FX8 to try with the Archon...Here's my hiss. Does this seem like a normal amount? It doesn't increase as I increase the volume on the amp channels (in the video it is on clean, volume all the way down...nothing connected to the input)
It is the same whether the device is in +4 or -10...

Any thoughts to make it more better?

1. What was the build date on the Archon (written on the back panel)?

2. How if the FX8 connected to the Archon?

3. If 4CM, what happens if you pull the FX8 out of the FX loop?

4. What happens if you plug in a guitar? Does the guitar volume knob affect the noise?

5. What are you switching? Are you switching the FX8 drive on and off? What happens on Archon claena channel vs. lead channel?

6. Turn of any computers and fluorescent lights in the room.

7. Are you using a power conditioner?

8. Are you using Humbuster cables to the amp input and FX Return?

1. I'll check
2. Nothing connected to input for the video. Pre out to amp input w/ humbuster cable, Effects send in with normal cable. Amp return with humbuster cable
3. I'll check again with a cable alone from send to return, but if memory is correct it is dead silent
4. Guitar does not affect the noise
5. I am switching the built in true bypass of the FX8 on and off.
6. All computers and fluorescents off
7. I have it connected through a Monster Cable Pro 3500 Power Conditioner
8. Yes

Is the preset on the FX8 using drive? If so, what happens if you use a preset without drive, or turn the drive off?

What happens if you leave the FX8 in the amp's FX loop, but plug the guitar directly into the amp input and turn the guitar volume down?

If it isn't making noise when it's in "true bypass" I would think it's in the FX8 and not the amp. Maybe toss a noise gate in there.

Amp was made 3-15, no drive is the same, the his is less in true bypass, but still there...any other thoughts?

I suspect an interaction between the FX8 and amp.

Try this:
1. Guitar to Amp input, guitar volume all the way down. Amp FX send to FX8 Post in. FX8 Post Out to amp FX Return. What happens with the noise?

2. Guitar to FX8 Input, guitar volume all the way down. FX8 Pre out to amp input. Nothing connected to amp FX loop. What happens to the noise, in particular relative to #1.

3. Are both the amp and FX8 plugged in to the power conditioner? Is there anything else in the system that uses AC power?

I've found all the Archon 50 and 100 watt versions, even post-fix, to be finicky with most effects in the loop. I had some luck using a hum eliminator box but it didn't remove it completely even when using clean channel with very low gain.

I've had very good results with my Archon and both an FX8 (since sold) and a G System. I DO use a TC Sentry for gain, so it's not perfect, but I only need it for higher gain.

I've had very good results with my Archon and both an FX8 (since sold) and a G System. I DO use a TC Sentry for gain, so it's not perfect, but I only need it for higher gain.
Thanks for the ideas! I'll try them tonight!

No problem! The key is to divide and conquer.

One more thing to try: 2CM. Guitar in to FX8 Pre In, FX8 Post Out to Amp input.

We want to figure out exactly what part or combination is noisy and what parts are not.

No problem! The key is to divide and conquer.

One more thing to try: 2CM. Guitar in to FX8 Pre In, FX8 Post Out to Amp input.

We want to figure out exactly what part or combination is noisy and what parts are not.
That one is golden, no hiss whatsoever

Thank you so much for the input everyone! Restarting with the unit in -10 output fixed the issue. Changing from +4 to -10 without a restart did not change the setting!

Back