Archon faceplates - curious

Good example of how this stuff works just popped up. Got an email from Wild West with CE24s with 57/08s! A guy sees that a year from now and calls PRS for one...
"we don't make those."
"Yes you do, I saw one!"
"No, you can't get those right now."
"Why not? Don't tell me you don't make them, I've seen them!"
"Sir, we don't make that model now."
"Well, I want one."
" You can't have one."
"Well if you don't wanna help me, I'll go somewhere else!"
"But we do want to help you, we just can't make that right now."
"Can you tell me where to find one?"
"Bend over and I'll show ya."

I think PRS might have removed the maple faceplate from the Archon 100 now and instead the Archon 100 has a faceplate similar to the Archon 50 but in a dark metal.

This link below is from Sweetwater’s website and it appears the faceplate is aluminum metal and no longer maple.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Archon--prs-archon-100-100-watt-tube-head

Btw I do have an update soon for a faceplate and I’ll be posting soon. I can’t speak to much about how I came about getting a hold of it ;) but one is coming soon :)

Woa. Seems like they must be streamlining the woodshop wherever they can.

Yep, I guess so. Mine has the standard maple faceplate in the blackish color. Mine was built in January 2018 so this must be something new they have switched over to after January this year because mine has the maple faceplate. I’m wondering if any inside changes were made within the guts or what not?

So I guess when I first contacted PRS and they said the Archon series came with anodized aluminum faceplates, well I guess looking above you’ll see that now they do.

Actually, that flat black faceplate looks a lot like satin finished wood to me.

But WTF do I know. It’s probably not.

On the PRS website for the Archon 100 specs it now says,

Panel - Anodized Aluminum

So yep, it’s sounds like they switched. I do agree that it has a satin wood finish look but it also looks like brushed aluminum.

From my understanding between emails that my January 2018 build date was pretty much the last batch of maple faceplates. So there are still maple faceplate versions floating around out there but what’s left if what’s it.

I do like the black better than the silver that was on my 50.

So my faceplate should be arriving today and question is how to get the old faceplate off? Is it just Velcro?

Watch the edges on the old and new pieces. They can be a tight fit.

And mark the top with masking tape before you pull off the old piece so you can align the new one.

And mark the top with masking tape before you pull off the old piece so you can align the new one.

Sorry but a little confused here. Could you explain a little more?

Mark the top where the faceplate sits? Like place mask tape above the faceplate? Sorry I’ve just never done this yet.

Back