Archon faceplates - curious

Well I got an email response back from a Matt at PRS who stated my Archon 100 has an anodized aluminum metal faceplate but I believe my faceplate on my Archon 100 is a maple faceplate unless they have a way of making anodized aluminum look like a maple faceplate lol. I do believe the Archon 50 is the model with the anodized aluminum faceplate while the Archon 100 faceplate like I have is maple.

Anyways Matt was under the impression that Archon amps come with anodized aluminum faceplates and no maple or wood. Anyways he started they will not and do not sale different colored faceplates.

I emailed Matt back explaining I have the Archon 100 with which I believe is maple and not anodized aluminum and that I’m referring to a wooden faceplate for my 100 like it has but in a different color. I guess we will see what is said in another email response lol.

You know what? I didn't get the faceplate on my Archon replaced, I got the faceplates on my cabs replaced. But yeah, it's aluminumium with a maple cap. :)

Well after the first reply from Matt at PRS this past Friday saying they do not offer different colored faceplates, I have sent two respectful and nice emails asking to please help me to acquire a different colored faceplate. I included in the two emails pics of custom faceplates of the Archon I found online via google image search.

When I received the first denial this past Friday (posted above) from Matt, I sent a second email that Friday asking if they would please help me and I included pics of some Archon’s with custom or different colored faceplates found via google images - still no response from Matt or anyone else at PRS by Tuesday. So Tuesday I decided to try a third email and again I stayed polite and respectful but kindly asking. I included pics again as well - so today is Wednesday and still no reply from Matt or anyone else at PRS.

I kind of feel like I’m being ignored or whatever which I hope is not the case because that seriously puts a bad taste in my mouth for a company. Would it possibly help to call and speak to someone? Keep sending an email every couple of days? Lol

Thanks

Well after the first reply from Matt at PRS this past Friday saying they do not offer different colored faceplates, I have sent two respectful and nice emails asking to please help me to acquire a different colored faceplate. I included in the two emails pics of custom faceplates of the Archon I found online via google image search.

When I received the first denial this past Friday (posted above) from Matt, I sent a second email that Friday asking if they would please help me and I included pics of some Archon’s with custom or different colored faceplates found via google images - still no response from Matt or anyone else at PRS by Tuesday. So Tuesday I decided to try a third email and again I stayed polite and respectful but kindly asking. I included pics again as well - so today is Wednesday and still no reply from Matt or anyone else at PRS.

I kind of feel like I’m being ignored or whatever which I hope is not the case because that seriously puts a bad taste in my mouth for a company. Would it possibly help to call and speak to someone? Keep sending an email every couple of days? Lol

Thanks

I seriously doubt they’re ignoring you, give ‘em some time.

While they have made different faceplates and offered different tolex and stuff in the past... PRS for the most part isn’t really interested in making accessories. The cool sh!t that comes on limited runs is just that; limited. They may have something laying around.... and if you’re lucky you might be able to snag one but, it’s not like Mesa Boogie where there’s a big accessory shop to customize your amp.

While they have made different faceplates and offered different tolex and stuff in the past... PRS for the most part isn’t really interested in making accessories. The cool sh!t that comes on limited runs is just that; limited. They may have something laying around.... and if you’re lucky you might be able to snag one but, it’s not like Mesa Boogie where there’s a big accessory shop to customize your amp.

Sage advice

Thanks

It's not that they ignored you...they answered your question about getting another faceplate. They said no. It's not like my Mom when I was a kid that if I asked enough times she'd eventually cave and let me have an ice cream.

Sage advice

^ What these guys said.

It's not that they ignored you...they answered your question about getting another faceplate. They said no. It's not like my Mom when I was a kid that if I asked enough times she'd eventually cave and let me have an ice cream.
Agreed.
While they have made them available in the past, they just might not any more.
If I was building 100 amps, I might cut 110 face plates. I wouldn’t be very interested in doing a 1 off - especially if I had an 8 month backlog on the wood floor whose primary purpose in life is to build guitars.

They replied and said they won’t do it. Being whiny and throwing a few one-off photos in their faces is lame.

No faceplate for you. Next!

Last edited:
I think I have to take some of the blame on this. Sorry. Guess they are not in the same situation they were back when I got lucky. Matt is a great guy, and I don't want to cause him any grief.

No blame or anything you should feel. It’s not something I have to seriously have and it’s only aesthetics.

Maybe things have changed at PRS, who knows. Some companies offer such things like Mesa but then again that’s Mesa lol. Maybe I’ll get a response back and maybe I won’t but then again it’s no biggie if not.

What about any local woodworkers?

This is a possibility and something that has crossed my mind.

For a living I’m an antique piano restoration technician as an Action Technician for the largest antique piano restoration company in the world that will literally fully restore any piano. There are even smaller piano restoration companies that refuse or don’t have the abilities to restore some makes or models and we are asked by them to restore. The company I work for is the Antique Piano Shop located in Friendsville, TN.

I’m sure at work we could easily pull something together lol. Currently I’m restoring a 60’s Fender Jaguar that I’ll be doing some of the work in shop. But anyways I’ll have to look into getting with some of the guys to see what we can come up with.

They replied and said they won’t do it. Being whiny and throwing a few one-off photos in their faces, is lame.

No faceplate for you. Next!

Well I wasn’t necessarily whining or wouldn’t call it whining but I guess if that’s how you see it. How words can be thought of across the web.

No faceplate? No problem but I necessarily don’t think the words whiny and lame are words to be used to describe in any fashion because of course I was literally not dying here or in serious need of a faceplate. I myself had never dealt with PRS and had no idea how they roll. So playing the game which I like to call Assumption Junction and using words such as whiny and and lame to describe the situation was kind of big one.

Anyways no worries ;) . It’s what it is and again no faceplate, no problem. I have bigger things to worry about and fun to be had playing guitar :)

I think I have to take some of the blame on this. Sorry. Guess they are not in the same situation they were back when I got lucky. Matt is a great guy, and I don't want to cause him any grief.
Seconded. Although having been one of the people to have caused him grief in the past, mostly out of ignorance, maybe we can help by trying to explain, take some of the load off of him -- after all, that's what this forum is for, innit?
ArchonFamily.jpg

The first email was probably a misunderstanding—the combos do not really have faceplates, they just have control panels, so he was probably thinking of that. The head units have a faceplate, but now let's get to the other issue -- limitedness. There are no custom faceplates any more. There are different variations, and they don't make a lot of them, so people like me have to go hunt down the different pieces. Do you know how much trouble I had to go through, to obtain an Archon in the plum with the violet faceplate? And then I was hooked, I hounded all my favourite online and local shops, trying to hunt down a 4x10 in the plum. I finally found one that said "actually, our distributor says they have two 2x12 -- and that's better! You should buy these." So I did. Plus, they had twice as many faceplates, so doubleplusgood. Then I just stumbled across a plum HXDA with a violet faceplate at one of the online shops...hemmed and hawed, because I didn't really want another amp, but now I own all four. New. (I think the HXDA was NOS, but the others were definitely all new.)

So there's something else you need to know -- the warranty only applies to new. If you bought used, you really should be discussing cost for such a service (with them, not us). And unfortunately, they put the kibosh on the CAD (custom amp design), so they don't really have a branch doing custom stuff any more.

As others have mentioned, they might not even be willing to do it, and that's their right. They don't make a lot of these, and you never know what the work detail is at that place, they might have a couple guys working on amps there, or they might only have one, I have no idea. PRSh is a shrewd businessman, and if they only sell a fraction of the units that Mesa/Boogie, Fender, Marshall, sell, then he won't hire any more people than he needs to fulfill that need -- supply and demand, he's got it down.

So back to the real question -- what, exactly, do you have, and what, exactly, do you want to change it to? Is it a combination that exists (or existed) in the wild? Then you're probably better off sitting and waiting, haunting eBay, Craigslist, and the like, selling what you have so that you have the money to buy what you want when it does show up. If not, then you need to start looking locally for someone who's good with a hot air gun and such, someone who will gently take off the existing maple cap, take off the PRS logo, stain a new piece of wood, and glue it back on. I don't know how they're attached, so you may want to change your line of questioning to the PTC to "how is it attached, how would I instruct a local person to remove the existing maple cap without damaging it", etc.

Or learn it yourself. You're not the first person to ask, and if you can provide that service, then there's probably a couple people who would pay you to do similarly to their amps/cabs.

Seconded. Although having been one of the people to have caused him grief in the past, mostly out of ignorance, maybe we can help by trying to explain, take some of the load off of him -- after all, that's what this forum is for, innit?
ArchonFamily.jpg

The first email was probably a misunderstanding—the combos do not really have faceplates, they just have control panels, so he was probably thinking of that. The head units have a faceplate, but now let's get to the other issue -- limitedness. There are no custom faceplates any more. There are different variations, and they don't make a lot of them, so people like me have to go hunt down the different pieces. Do you know how much trouble I had to go through, to obtain an Archon in the plum with the violet faceplate? And then I was hooked, I hounded all my favourite online and local shops, trying to hunt down a 4x10 in the plum. I finally found one that said "actually, our distributor says they have two 2x12 -- and that's better! You should buy these." So I did. Plus, they had twice as many faceplates, so doubleplusgood. Then I just stumbled across a plum HXDA with a violet faceplate at one of the online shops...hemmed and hawed, because I didn't really want another amp, but now I own all four. New. (I think the HXDA was NOS, but the others were definitely all new.)

So there's something else you need to know -- the warranty only applies to new. If you bought used, you really should be discussing cost for such a service (with them, not us). And unfortunately, they put the kibosh on the CAD (custom amp design), so they don't really have a branch doing custom stuff any more.

As others have mentioned, they might not even be willing to do it, and that's their right. They don't make a lot of these, and you never know what the work detail is at that place, they might have a couple guys working on amps there, or they might only have one, I have no idea. PRSh is a shrewd businessman, and if they only sell a fraction of the units that Mesa/Boogie, Fender, Marshall, sell, then he won't hire any more people than he needs to fulfill that need -- supply and demand, he's got it down.

So back to the real question -- what, exactly, do you have, and what, exactly, do you want to change it to? Is it a combination that exists (or existed) in the wild? Then you're probably better off sitting and waiting, haunting eBay, Craigslist, and the like, selling what you have so that you have the money to buy what you want when it does show up. If not, then you need to start looking locally for someone who's good with a hot air gun and such, someone who will gently take off the existing maple cap, take off the PRS logo, stain a new piece of wood, and glue it back on. I don't know how they're attached, so you may want to change your line of questioning to the PTC to "how is it attached, how would I instruct a local person to remove the existing maple cap without damaging it", etc.

Or learn it yourself. You're not the first person to ask, and if you can provide that service, then there's probably a couple people who would pay you to do similarly to their amps/cabs.

Well when I sent my original email to customer service I stated I had the Archon 100 head. The Archon 100 is made in a head only and not a combo like the 50 watt model.

My Archon 100 I purchased brand new, as stated in a previous thread I had to return the first to the store for another new replacement due to issues. So again, I purchased brand new. What does warranty have to do with this? Or buying used? But again I purchased brand new.

Understood...

I have the Archon 100 “Head” with the stock maple plate in the stock color. I was just looking for a possible different color. Again it’s not something I need because it’s just a aesthetic thing, nothing more. I just purchased this amp brand new, why would I sale it? For just a different faceplate? Lol no way. Selling what I have to have the money to buy what I want when it does show up? I just purchased this amp brand new for $1900+ so why would I go through all this? Lmao, over a faceplate? I know you’ve had to look at my other threads explaining I purchased this amp head brand new, did you just forget or not read correctly - I’m shaking my head confused right now lol.

As stated in a reply above I work as a Antique Piano Restoration Technician as a Action Technician for the largest antique piano restoration company. My job sometimes requires me doing exactly what you stated above. It would be a simple job I could easily take on but just thought I’d take the PRS route but I guess this might be the best route. My job requires me removing ivory from piano keys, reapplying new ivory or faux ivory to keys, removing wood plates, staining wood, applying poly or nitro if requested, carving new piano wooden parts and more. If anyone is interested in piano then Google - Antique Piano Shop and under Meet Our Team you’ll find me ;) - I just might have to give this a try. I have no doubt me and some of the guys at work could make this happen :)

Gonna check with the guys this morning and see what we come up with. If I decide to tackle this then I’ll give an update or updates along the way. Again it’s only something cosmetic and not needed so we’ll see lol.

Thanks guys

I think it can be a bit confusing to see multiple other colors on the web and then be told you can't get one. But to most of us, we know what to expect. They only do it in special runs or something. But to a new guy to PRS it's like "what do you mean you don't do them? I see pics of them out there."

And don't worry about Les. He's kind of like that grandpa, that even though he gets grumpy sometimes, we still love him and it usually doesn't last for long. I think if he felt the roar of the Archon, it would cheer him up right away, but he's usually back to happy camper in a few hours anyway. :)

I think it can be a bit confusing to see multiple other colors on the web and then be told you can't get one. But to most of us, we know what to expect. They only do it in special runs or something. But to a new guy to PRS it's like "what do you mean you don't do them? I see pics of them out there."

And don't worry about Les. He's kind of like that grandpa, that even though he gets grumpy sometimes, we still love him and it usually doesn't last for long. I think if he felt the roar of the Archon, it would cheer him up right away, but he's usually back to happy camper in a few hours anyway. :)

Lol, totally good ;)

Back