Archon - Empress Vintage Modified Superdelay

BobVila406

Hello!
I just got a Empress Vintage Modified Superdelay and put it in the loop of my Archon. When I engage the effects loop there is a loud pop every time and some hiss. Could this be a tube issue?

My digitech hardwire pedals don't pop like this, but there is hiss. Although I haven't had them in the loop for a while. I'll test them again tonight.

Most digital pedals have a lot of hiss, and some need special buffering to work well in the loops of certain amps. Amp loops can be kind of a hit or miss thing. Amps like the Dumble even have a special rackmount unit to buffer looped pedals called Dumbleators, and Two-Rock and Bludo have their own versions as well.

Amp makers can't accommodate all the infinite variety of pedal designs out there, it's pretty much impossible, they're all different.

Do you think a Wampler DB+ would help resolve this issue? I have been looking to get something for my effects loop to add a boost for my lead channel anyway...

Do you think a Wampler DB+ would help resolve this issue? I have been looking to get something for my effects loop to add a boost for my lead channel anyway...

I have no idea. I don't have an amp with an effects loop any more (HXDA and Grissom 30 don't have one). I run everything in front. Wish I could help!

PS - I've never really liked using effects loops because of the problems I've had with them over the years.

Return that pedal and try a different make and model. That one just doesn't mesh with your rig. We've all been there.

Be sure to buy from someplace with a generous return policy.

Ok, I tried it with an analog pedal in the loop and there is much less hiss. With the analog pedal then the delay there is no popping, but the hiss goes up with the Superdelay engaged.. Hiss does not increase, however, as I raise the volume of the channels to a gigging level so it is definitely not a dealbreaker. I will still try a Empress Buffer+ or Wampler DB+ in the loop to see if that will help some more but I am feeling good about it working for what I need, thanks for your input!!

Bob,

I checked it out and did not appear to have an issue, I'll need to reintegrate into my full pedal board and see if there if there are any issues off the Disaster Area loop.

Cheers

Steve

Recently purchased a PRS 100 watt Archon Amp w/ matching PRS 2x12 cabinet.
SPENDID clean tones...BRUTAL Distortion tones.
I use a Digitech Hardwire RV7 Stereo Reverb in the loop.
Shockingly, the effect loop is noisey as hell....WHAT GIVES ?

Recently purchased a PRS 100 watt Archon Amp w/ matching PRS 2x12 cabinet.
SPENDID clean tones...BRUTAL Distortion tones.
I use a Digitech Hardwire RV7 Stereo Reverb in the loop.
Shockingly, the effect loop is noisey as hell....WHAT GIVES ?
The loop isn't noisy, the pedal isn't impedance-matched with the loop. Read the previous posts. Some pedals just exhibit this quality, some don't. Try a different pedal.

Back