Archon - effects loop question

krb813

I purchased a "Demo" (good deal) Archon 100 from Sweetwater not long ago. I find that the effects loop is real noisy. My Archon head was built in August of last year. I thought that the effects loop issue that was out there had been taken care of before my build date. Am I wrong about that? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Your amp was definitely built after the loop issues were addressed. Is the loop noisy with just a patch cable connected to the send/return? Or only with pedals in the loop? This is a good test as it should tell you whether there is an actual issue with the loop or that one or more of your pedals is introducing the noise. Some pedals get along with the Archon's loop better than others.

Also make sure that you don't have your effects pedal too close to the amp. I have an Archon 25 combo and tried out an effects pedal with the pedal sitting on the amp and it was very noisy. Moved the pedal a few feet away and it became quiet.

The effects loop issue wasn't taken care of until around November 2014, call PRS with your serial number and ask.

Definitely don't put the pedal on top of the head, that causes hum problems. Mine adds a tiny bit of hum, but not anything very noticeable. Certain pedals don't "agree" with the Archon loop and are unusable. The T-Rex whirly verb is one that caused major issues for me. If you do a search, you'll find info on it.

Thanks for the input. I have all my pedals on a pedalboard. I played around with it some last night. It appears it does not like the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power box I have. I'm not sure why. Maybe someone can give me an idea.

That's really odd, as the Pedal Power outputs are isolated. I would make sure that the amp and pedal power are powered from the same AC mains. Are there any other mains-powered units in your rig?

Back