Archon 25 vs 50 Combo

Thx for all the feedback...between me and my bandmates gear, tried out 5 different speakers and my favorite so far is the Hellatone 60 that I took out of one of my Avatar cabs. Really just a heavily broken in vintage 30 with a larger magnet I believe. At any rate, great, full sound...more thump on the bottom with more definition and a lot less chime on the top. Really seems to handle lows, mids and highs nice and balanced...warm yet aggressive if that makes sense. The second place speaker was the Eminence Swamp Thang...really tight and heavy sounding, just a bit too much low end for the drop-tuned stuff...overpowered the mix a bit. One more I'm going to try before I settle for now is the G12M Greenback that a buddy has...hoping it brings a little better definition, even with the open back setup.

I have also played it through a couple of my closed back 2x12 cabs with stock vintage 30's and the sound is night and day...but as DTR said, I want something to grab and go and still sound great. Don't have a 4x12 to try it through, and probably never will...too big and loud for where we play and just a major pain to haul around.

The great thing is all of this "experimenting" is actually a blast...love tinkering with gear. Always in search of "my sound"....problem is, that sound I'm looking for will probably be different a year from now!!! One thing I can say is I'm extremely happy with the Archon...both channels are amazing. Only running an Earthquake Dispatch Master through the effects loop and the sound is a 10/10...really couldn't be any happier.

ROCK ON!!!

Back