Archon 100 vs 50

mgcook

Hi guys,

Probably a little late as i've just purchased the Archon 50 but has anyone done a A/B test between the 50 and 100 watt head archons? It seems most guys are going the 100 option and it's got me a little spooked. Any thoughts?

thanks!

I have not, but don't be spooked. Every clip I've heard of the 50 is AWESOME! And, how many people actually NEED 100 watts. I think guys buy what is available. They find the color they want or one local, or even if it's online, they find what a dealer has and they buy THAT one. I bet you're blown away by the Archon 50. Everyone else seems to be!

I wouldn't be spooked, I went with the Archon 100 solely based on the deal I got on it, I was originally in the market for the Archon 50 and my biggest concern was the volume difference between the two. Being that I was coming from Mesa amps, it was a semi scary decision for me as my Mesa amps were LOUD. I can vouch for the fact that the Archon 100 can easily be played at bedroom volume at either 100w or 50w. What concerns do you have between the two?

I dunno, a thread was just posted by Bodia regarding his new Archon 50, and he seems to love it! Are you playing out with a band or is this for home use?

I use my 100 in 50W mode at home just to save the tubes. I did a quick A/B between 50W and 100W and I can't hear any significant difference when you're not really pushing the volume. The volume change is slight between the two, it's actually interesting to hear how little it is. The one place I do hear it is in headroom at band volume. The 100W mode is slightly tighter on lead and slightly cleaner on clean. But we have a heavy-handed drummer and our stage volume is really too loud. I used to use 25W amps for gigging.

When I was using my RA100, I had the clean channel set with no attenuation for headroom (all 100W) and the vintage channels set with 4dB attenuation (about half-power) to push the power amp a little more.

Don't lose sleep over it. Get another 50 and run it in stereo ;)

I wouldn't be spooked, I went with the Archon 100 solely based on the deal I got on it, I was originally in the market for the Archon 50 and my biggest concern was the volume difference between the two. Being that I was coming from Mesa amps, it was a semi scary decision for me as my Mesa amps were LOUD. I can vouch for the fact that the Archon 100 can easily be played at bedroom volume at either 100w or 50w. What concerns do you have between the two?

My main concerns are to do with the bass response of the 50w vs 100w. From my understanding, the 100w will remain tighter and have a stronger bass presence than the 50w

Does this apply to amps at low volume, as well as high volume?

Last edited:
Any difference is really very slight, and only when you push the amp. At low volume amps will have much heavier bass and lose some of the mid definition (sound smoother).

Any difference is really very slight, and only when you push the amp. At low volume amps will have much heavier bass and lose some of the mid definition (sound smoother).

Truth right here, you can even hear it with your car stereo as well, you get heavier bass at lower volumes that seems to then be replaced by the mids and treble as volume comes up. If you play at lower volume its nothing you cant EQ out, but universally all my amps, PRS or Mesa behave this way.

I got the 100 because it was a great deal that popped up. Left to my own devices I probably would have gotten the 50. I'm still considering a 50 combo.

Back