Archon 100 lead tone(mid range issues)

Brandon1989

Hey everyone, new to the forums. I just got an archon 100 and it is fantastic! The rhythm tones are huge and I love the clean channel. However, I wanted to get some insight on the lead tones and single note side of things...I noticed the amp can get very nasally with certain guitars and the lead tones always seem very “round” and smooth. I haven’t really figured out how to dial that out, if it’s even possible. I know the midrange has a lot to do with this, and that’s great for a live mix, but I was hoping to “sharpen” the leads up a bit. Even on my bridge pickup, I feel like it’s almost as smooth as a neck pickup. More so on some guitars than others....have any of you guys done anything to add more bite and aggression to the leads? When they are so round, it makes the notes stand out less and have less character when playing at home...at least to my ears. Thanks!

I'd start by lowering the bass and resonance controls a bit, then increase the presence some if that doesn't help. You may also want to consider using a boost with a significant low cut (e.g. a TS style overdrive set clean) for your lead sound.

The Archon has crazy low end. It can overwhelm the highs and sound dark.

Turning up the treble can be less effective unless you turn the bass down.

Also turn the gain down. Listen to how the amp sounds with gain at 9:00, 11:00 and 1:00. Higher gain compresses quite a bit, which rounds out the tone. You may be better off with lower gain plus a boost. More raw.

Does your impedance setting match the cabinet? Mismatching can either open it up or compress it

Basically all the posts above. You want bright and punchy? It can do that. Gain as low as 8:00... I know, sounds crazy, but if you’re going for bright crunchy M style tones, turn the gain down BELOW 9:00.

Try this: G- 8:00, B - 10:00, m- to taste, T-3:00, P - 3:00. Resonance - 9:00.

Now tell me if that cuts enough. And then tone the top end down from there as needed. It will cut. (If using greenbacks of other “non-bright” speakers, you may even go higher than that. Probably not). With V30s, this will cut glass. Yet, it’s not brittle.

If your V30s aren’t broken in, even that will be too much high end and cut.

Basically all the posts above. You want bright and punchy? It can do that. Gain as low as 8:00... I know, sounds crazy, but if you’re going for bright crunchy M style tones, turn the gain down BELOW 9:00.

Now tell me if that cuts enough. And then tone the top end down from there as needed. It will cut. (If using greenbacks of other “non-bright” speakers, you may even go higher than that. Probably not). With V30s, this will cut glass. Yet, it’s not brittle.

Preach!

Can I get an A-MEN!

Any luck yet? Do you use the bright switch on? I agree with most of what's stated above. I actually just tracked a couple leads with the mids cranked to like 3:00 and it sounded great for that(I had EL-34's in the amp too).

Never even thought to mention that. Assumed that was a given. I've only turned it off twice when going for bluz tones

Bump old thread...

I've messing around trying to get a fat, sort of forgiving, chewy lead.

Curious if you guys found certain speakers work best? I no longer have any lower wattage or light magnet speakers and wo drring if I need to grab a few.

Maybe ba few light magnet, lower dB speakers. But we play a lot of really heavy music and the heavy magnet, large dust cap speakers do well there.

Back