Anyone using a G-Major 2 with a Custom 2 Channel

cmedcoff

I've recently been trying to incorporate a TC Electronics G Major 2 (GM2) with my guitar rig. I initially tried putting the GM2 into the effects loop which as I understand is where it is really designed to go (as apposed to in front of the amp). While it works I initially thought that my GM2 suddenly had a problem as the input level meters register nothing and the tuner seemed to hardly work. I had the loop levels set anywhere from about noon to max. I seem to be able to match the output volume of the amp with or without the GM2 in the loop if I had the loop levels set closer to max.

However I have found if I put the GM2 in front (not in the effect loop send/return), that the input level meter better picks up my guitar signal and the tuner works better. In other words I'm plugging my guitar directly in the GM2 and sending its output into the guitar input on the amp.

I'd kind of like to run the GM2 in the loop because my ears tell me that the sound gets even more fat (and this amp is very "bassy" and fat to begin with) when I run the GM2 in the front rather than in the loop. I suppose since the effects work and I primarily use a floor tuner anyway I could run it in the effects loop but it bothers me that the inputs don't register anything.

Any insight into what kind of levels and impedances are in the effect loops? Any experience with a GM2 or other rack mount effects in the loop?

I have a 2 Channel H and use a TC Electronics Nova system and it sounds great BUT the tuner will not work almost like its not getting enough level ( In the effects loop )
I believe it has to do with the H and Custom 50 having an active effects loop, I tried everything I could adjust, Tuner just won't work on the H everything else is fine.

I was using a GSP1101 in the loop. I just made sure I turned up the volume high enough on my GSP, and it sounded pretty darn good.

Elvis says you need a buffer in the loop to make the G work properly. (Our Elvis, not the Hunka Hunka Burning Love Elvis)

It always seems that every effects loop works differently with every type of effects box. Then there's the whole conundrum of parallel or series loops...and noise/ground loop issues...

I gave up on them at some point. I don't even use them when an amp has one.

But I do understand why players like them. In theory, when they're working right, they can be great.

Yeah, but you're right that they can be a pain. Still, when working right, my verbs and delays never sounded as good in front, as in a good functioning loop.

Still, when working right, my verbs and delays never sounded as good in front, as in a good functioning loop.

It's a different kind of trip, that's for sure. I only use reverb with clean sounds, so there's that.

For some reason I kinda like the organic kind of thing that happens running delays in front of the amp, even though it can sound ratty at some point.

I have an idea for the OP...

The German company Lehle produces brilliant, very well made, elegant designs to solve problems like this one, and I'd recommend their Sunday Driver, which is a high spec buffer/booster/line driver with switchable impedance.

It'd probably be a very good solution, and honestly, little problem-solvers like these are always useful to have in one's gig bag.

I have 4 of Lehle's boxes, three on my pedalboard, and one that has an isolation transformer I tuck away in an accessory bag I take to outside sessions, in case I encounter something weird.

Remember that on your G major you have the routing option for the effects. If you use compression or heavy gate you could get signal interference for your tuner

Where are your input/output levels on the Gmajor? Also, if you play at different volume levels from show to show you may have to adjust those levels.

Good luvk.

Back