Anyone Try Maple Yet?

László

Too Many Notes
Looks to me like the Tonare shape would lend itself to a classic maple back and sides instrument very nicely.

Anyone try one yet? Tone report if possible!

No one? I thought there were several Collection acoustics out there in maple...

Well, I guess I'll be the first.

No, though that sure is a nice one! Mine will be based on the standard Tonare Grand. No electronics, since I will be miking it up.

I think you'd approve of my plan, Hans - it's not going to be a blinged-out showpiece; I'm shooting for the classic PRS acoustic appearance, only with maple back and sides instead of coco. In other words, just a really fine player's instrument.

I like the way maple works in a dense rock mix.

Mahogany neck and ebony board?

Oh, I should have specified...maple neck and ebony board. I think ya gotta go with a maple neck when you have maple back/sides, to get that classic all-maple tone happening.

We have the process of spec'ing it out underway, but I think there's a little more to do in the next week or so. So some things still may be undecided - I don't know the PS process very well.

GO FOR IT!

An all maple design with a quality spruce top and an ebony fretboard will be fine. The sound of an acoustic guitar comes mostly from the top and the construction. The general theory is to have the ONLY vibrating parts to be the strings and the top, while EVERYTHING else remains inert. Experimental guitars have been built without backs to prove that the tone comes from the top. They of course lacked volume, but they made the point. Now while the necks, sides, and backs of acoustic guitars will inevitablely vibrate, the goal is to keep it at a minimum. The concept is for the strings to transfer maximum energy to the top, and for the body to reflect and project the sound of the vibrating parts. This is the master skeleton key to great tone and volume in a superb acoustic, and Paul "Wonka" Smith has caught this drift. All the factors do come into play, so don't misunderstand me. All the woods interplay together. However, for acoustics, the neck material isn't as important as it is in an electric, or in a banjo for that matter. I'm speaking in general theortic terms, and opinions vary vastly. Some combinations work better than others. For example, someone with more experience than myself won't use a maple neck, or body on an acoustic unless they are paired together....and that someone is Bob Taylor. The bottom line is that some things work well, some things don't, and some other things work magically. Maple would doubtlessly be beautiful, and, in my humble opinion, would sound extaordinary with a quality spruce top. I would totally go for it!

Bet it will sound incredible. One of my favorite looks on an acoustic guitar is a maple neck/back/sides -natural color. I had a Guild acoustic years back like that, got stolen from me :( It was a gorgeous guitar, looks and tone. This PS you're doing will be nothing short of amazing.

What color did you plan to stain it? You should see if they could do the back in dragon's breath. That would be 101 percent KILLER!!!

What color did you plan to stain it? You should see if they could do the back in dragon's breath. That would be 101 percent KILLER!!!

They're going to stain it just enough to enhance the grain, but still keep it close to the look of natural blonde maple. Classic maple Small Jumbo look.

If you haven't seen it yet, there is a clip of Paul (w.wonka) Smith play-testing a maple collection series on youtube. I think its the same one for sale at W.W.GTRS. Maple neck back and sides, adirondack spruce top.....It sounds sssssooooo KILLER!!!

I did see it, sounds great, though he plays very close to the bridge, which isn't my style. Still, I was happy to hear it!

Back