Anyone playing only/mostly PRS these days??

PRS has been my main guitar on every gig since I got my first.
Only a handful of gigs since I got my 2nd have I taken a non PRS for a spare.

I still enjoy playing my Les Paul at home, it even just got a new set of pickups this month, but man is it heavy and nowhere near as versatile as any PRSi I've got.

My strat and explorer collect dust though. Soon enough I'm sure I'll let go of 'needing' to own at least one f guitar.

No matter what "F" or "G" or other make or model I pick up, they all are either a collection of very loose fitting random parts or the balance/fit and finish of the instrument just 'ain't right'.

While I love PRS and own a few, to make this statement means you haven't played a recent R9. NOBODY makes a consistently better production guitar than PRS, but there are some fine custom shop Les Pauls out there.

I had a Les Paul Custom for 26 years. 2 fret jobs later, it still wouldn`t play in tune all over the neck. Then I discovered PRS, and got rid of the non-PRS guitars. Now they make an SC 594. Every one I`ve ever heard has balls to the walls sound. There`s no longer a reason to even think about a Les (Paul, not Schefman). Now I have to start saving for the bloody Singlecut. Oy Vey!

There seems to be a huge slowdown in production of historic custom shop les Pauls for a while now. Almost since the 3rd quarter of last year, it wood seem. Virtually don't see any new 2017 guitars appearing even at major US dealer websites. CITES rosewood complications maybe? A matter of avoiding a historic repeat issue (reissue), if so.

Sorry for the off topic, but this is interesting to understand where is Gibson and where is PRS when talking about guitar manufacturing.
Gibson decided at one point that the brand should be a lifestyle much more than a Guitar brand. After several decisions and detours, apparently today they need a 500 million refinanciation. Due to the past brand decisions, Gibson reliability is way below than expected (BBB rating) and they have serious problems to get the money. This year they decided to shut down Custom Shop regular production (aka Rs, Collector Choices, etc...) and leave the Custom Shop for same purpose than PRS Private Stock, just for orders. They consider a Custom Shop guitar something that needs too many hours of labour to get no so much profit because they're not selling them so well. Gibson released past week the 2017 Custom Shop Standard, a non Historic spec guitar but with all the True Historic leftovers from 2015-2016 (one of their worst selling products) in order to get rid of all that stuff.
Meanwhile, PRS is producing some of the best manufactured guitars ever for less money than a Gibson CS. Paul is focused on getting the most of his products and we can feel that when you play a PRS.
Maybe this is the point where all the "rock n roll History" is not enough to keep Les Pauls up and the best manufacturing and instrument reliability is taking its place, where PRS wins hands down.
Tone wise, that should be another thread. But there are the facts.

Last edited:
Sorry for the off topic, but this is interesting to understand where is Gibson and where is PRS when talking about guitar manufacturing.
Gibson decided at one point that the brand should be a lifestyle much more than a Guitar brand. After several decisions and detours, apparently today they need a 500 million refinanciation. Due to the past brand decisions, Gibson reliability is way below than expected (BBB rating) and they had serious problems to get the money. This year they decided to shut down Custom Shop regular production (aka Rs, Collector Choices, etc...) and leave the Custom Shop for same purpose than PRS Private Stock, just for orders. They consider a Custom Shop guitar something that needs too many hours of labour to get no so much profit because they're not selling them so well. Gibson released past week the 2017 Custom Shop Standard, a non Historic spec guitar but with all the True Historic leftovers from 2015-2016 (one of their worst selling products) in order to get rid of all that stuff.
Meanwhile, PRS is producing some of the best manufactured guitars ever for less money than a Gibson CS. Paul is focused on getting the most of his products and we can feel that when you play a PRS.
Maybe this is the point where all the "rock n roll History" is not enough to keep Les Pauls up and the best manufacturing and instrument reliability is taking its place, where PRS wins hands down.
Tone wise, that should be another thread. But there are the facts.

Interesting, and if accurate, I'm actually sorry to hear it. I don't have a lot of love for Gibson, but I don't have any hate for them either. I would not like to see them fold because of poor business decisions. But I guess sloppy QA is a business decision too, right? I guess I'd like to see enough space in the instrument market for all, except the fakers. If there isn't enough space, I'll want to keep PRS. I do hope Henry figures it out. I'm not putting money on it though.

My electrics only PRS 90 cu24, 02 cu24 (modified with piezo and 13 pin synth midi ghost saddles) , 513, and a core Santana. I have Tonare acoustic that sounds unbelievably awesome, best sounding acoustic I ever owned, and I use to play Martin's, sold my D41 and D35. Still have two Taylor acoustics though a 12string and a 90's 712 six string.

I switch between a Tanglewood Roadster, Fender Sonoran Thinline, Jackson JS11 Dinky and my new PRS SE Standard 24.

After 22 minutes talking abour guitars, amps, how to play, how to dial in... switch directly to 22:55. "See? This is what you dont..."´That sentence is EPIC! :D:oops:

The minute I start talking guitars and other instruments, my wife says, “I’m about as interested in this topic as you are in talking about lipstick.”

So I no longer bother.

In view of our 100% lack of mutual interest besides the kids, we’ve mastered the art of minimalist conversation...let’s say she’s watching TV at her typically deafening volume:

“Loud”

“K”

Or...

“Kids?”

“Fine.”

“Good.”

Last edited:
You all are going to think I'm crazy, but I only own ONE electric guitar now. So yeah I only play PRS now. (and Taylor for acoustic) With that said, i feel i'm short but at least 1 electric. :) I was looking at buying another Strat but after my great experiences with my PRS guitar as well as the great service I've received from PRS tech center, I may ONLY buy PRS from now on.

You all are going to think I'm crazy, but I only own ONE electric guitar now. So yeah I only play PRS now. (and Taylor for acoustic) With that said, i feel i'm short but at least 1 electric. :) I was looking at buying another Strat but after my great experiences with my PRS guitar as well as the great service I've received from PRS tech center, I may ONLY buy PRS from now on.
Two words...
Silver Sky...

I own 5 guitars, 4 of which are Electric and all 4 are PRS. My acoustic is an early 90's Washburn Electro-Acoustic that I occasionally play but also has sentimental value so I won't get rid of that or feel the need to add another acoustic to my collection.

As such, I only play PRS. I don't have a 'strat' as such, not that I am in the market for one, but I do have a 509 if I want SC type sounds as well as split coils from my 594. I have a Piezo (HBii) for acoustic type sounds too so I am not lacking in tonal options - I am more likely to add a HB594 though.

Last edited:
Since grabbing my S2 Mira almost a year ago I grabbed an S2 satin 22, a Core Custom 22, a Zach Meyers and most recently an SE custom 22 semi hollow, I find now that my strat style guitars sound thin and clanky and with my S2s I can get single coil tones and I gave up on Gibson years ago...I am actually thinking of selling another guitar to grab something off Daves used site...anyone else?? lol
-----
Yeah I have a few Strats, a Tele and a first year Wolfgang but have only played 594s for a few months and I don't see that changing. IDK why I failed to make it easy on myself all those years.

Back