Anyone playing only/mostly PRS these days??

For me only PRS with "Pattern Regular" necks (S2s) going forward. I've realized 1-11/16" nut widths don't work best for me, 1-21/32" feels much more natural/easy.

Amp wise, I get the occasional GAS but I never give in. I always come back to my Soldano SLO-100 and I'd like to get a Hot Rod 25 which is similar at a lower wattage.

I'm leaning toward settling down with Port City vertical 2x12s with a Mesa C90 on top and an EVM12L on bottom.

Effects wise I'm looking forward to trying a Line6 Helix. Effects are probably the only thing that I'll ever feel any desire to switch out/upgrade.

It's a relief to have finally found my "guitars and amps for life" and not guitar/amp flip like I use to and always feeling unsatisfied. I know some might think I'm missing out, but I don't need/want a wide variety of tones that can't be coaxed out of effects or a pickup swap.

For me only PRS with "Pattern Regular" necks (S2s) going forward. I've realized 1-11/16" nut widths don't work best for me, 1-21/32" feels much more natural/easy.
I don't mean to be difficult, but I'm surprised that 1/32 of an inch across about an inch and a half distance makes that much of a difference to you. That's only 1.8% difference across 6 strings. Still I guess you know what you like.

I have a bunch of PRSi, in all different necks. Oddly, I found the S2 to take the longest to get the feel of under my hands. I will always be amazed at how different the neck shapes feel, and how it can take me several minutes to settle down when I change guitars. It`s always one guitar for each gig for that reason.

I don't mean to be difficult, but I'm surprised that 1/32 of an inch across about an inch and a half distance makes that much of a difference to you. That's only 1.8% difference across 6 strings. Still I guess you know what you like.

When I got my 2008 DGT, for me, it is/was a night and day difference between that and my SC245 and SC250 (Wide-Fat). The string spacing for leads just worked much better for me.

I recall years ago that there was some debate as to whether the DGT necks were Pattern Regular or DGT. I don't know where this confusion began, or whether they switched patterns at some point. But today the DGT neck specs say DGT.

The DGT and Pattern Regular nut widths are the same, 1-21/32", where we know that Wide-Fat and Pattern is 1-11/16". I'm not aware of what else could be attributing to the string spacing difference, but I can feel it between my DGT and my Wide-Fat guitars when playing them back to back.

I'll definitely have to play an S2 at some point to confirm my thoughts.

There's a difference that's noticeable, but it bothers some, and not others.

I go back and forth between PRS' neck widths all the time, and while it takes a sec or two to adjust, it's not a big deal. Heck, all of my Pattern necks feel a little different.

But I can certainly understand someone wanting to maintain uniformity, as well as having a preference.

...The DGT and Pattern Regular nut widths are the same, 1-21/32", where we know that Wide-Fat and Pattern is 1-11/16". I'm not aware of what else could be attributing to the string spacing difference, but I can feel it between my DGT and my Wide-Fat guitars when playing them back to back.
Well, it's good you know what you like. Most of mine are W/T and W/F. So the widths are the same. I do have two CE's that are regular and while I do feel the difference, it seems more of the depth of the neck than the difference in the nut. The thing for me is, it doesn't take much effort to play any of them.

My number one is a 2008 Custom 22 I ordered new. I have a nice strat and tele but for performance it's always the CU22. I don't gig out as much these days so my 2 Channel H is covered up in the corner. I love that amp as much as the guitar but playing predominantly in church I've moved to multi-fx with the L6 Helix being my current go to unit. It's a beast as well and I'm loving the combination of the two.

I haven't touched anything else since a lovely HBII made its way home with me.

PRS is all I play now days. I've had a love-hate relationship with Gibson and Fender guitars for years. PRS seems to fit a little bit of both of them into his guitars. I'm happy!

13256705_287695604901923_625446122_n.jpg

Pretty much all I play are these three.

I was a Gibson player for 25 years before I found PRS in 1991.
I have serious doubts lately.
There are times where my MC is my main guitar, and then I grabbed my R9 and spent some months thinking that Gibson "is the TONE" and PRS is not there... but then I came back to PRS and think that Gibson is unconfortable, and lacks musicality and playability. And then back, and then back....
I can´t be satisfied 100%. I would like to feel that one of them is MY guitar and the others as complements for other styles. But I really don´t know what is my main guitar.

Last edited:
. But I really don´t know what is may main guitar.
I am with you on this. Lately I have been playing a wide variety of guitars, depending on my mood and what type of guitar I think the song calls for. On gigs, I usually bring one PRS and one Fender guitar. No other guitar brands in this stable.

There are times where my MC is my main guitar, and then I grabbed my R9 and spent some months thinking that Gibson "is the TONE" and PRS is not there... but then I came back to PRS and think that Gibson is unconfortable, and lacks musicality and playability. And then back, and then back....
I can´t be satisfied 100%. I would like to feel that one of them is MY guitar and the others as complements for other styles. But I really don´t know what is my main guitar.

Yes, choice is a wonderful thing. Part of why I have several guitars is that different instruments inspire me at different times.

For the most part yes. I'm actually in the process of selling a couple of guitars to acquire another PRS either a 594 Doublecut, an HBII or a Paul's Guitar depending on whats available. After that I will have three 6's that are non PRS and probably won't leave for sentimental reasons and the rest are my 7's

For the most part yes. I'm actually in the process of selling a couple of guitars to acquire another PRS either a 594 Doublecut, an HBII or a Paul's Guitar depending on whats available. After that I will have three 6's that are non PRS and probably won't leave for sentimental reasons and the rest are my 7's

Nice choices. I'm a long time HBII owner; the 594 and Paul's were my finalists in last summer's guitar search.

No matter what "F" or "G" or other make or model I pick up, they all are either a collection of very loose fitting random parts or the balance/fit and finish of the instrument just 'ain't right'.

Edit: In the price range I can afford.

Last edited:
Back