Anyone Own An S2 Starla?

sergiodeblanc

Been lookin’ at ‘em as it seems all the used Cores in cool colors have disappeared from the market. I’m slightly hesitant, I don’t know why... I think it’s because I hear the S2 pickup recipe has changed them to hotter and less jangle, anyone have one? Can you tell me what you think about ‘em?

Thanks!

Been lookin’ at ‘em as it seems all the used Cores in cool colors have disappeared from the market. I’m slightly hesitant, I don’t know why... I think it’s because I hear the S2 pickup recipe has changed them to hotter and less jangle, anyone have one? Can you tell me what you think about ‘em?

Thanks!
I do not own an S2 Starla but do own an S2 Studio that uses the Starla bridge humbucker. I think it is a wonderful pickup. Lots of jangle to it and sounds phenomenal clean!

Thanks!
I had heard the same, and was therefore targeting a core Starla. (Eventually. Shh! Don't tell my wife! Actually, she already knows...)

The "Licensed Bigsby" is also a minor point, possibly.

I had heard the same, and was therefore targeting a core Starla. (Eventually. Shh! Don't tell my wife! Actually, she already knows...)

The "Licensed Bigsby" is also a minor point, possibly.

I’m not afraid of the licensed Bigsby, really. I mean, how bad could that caveman technology be?

I kinda dig the less ornate carve on the S2’s, the locking tuners, and like the color options more. The pickups are the only thing... they somehow sound less “sh!tty” than the US examples in videos.

I had a Starla core for quite a while. Sold because of Bigsby and 22 fret (I really like 24 fret guitars). Starla core I thought had great sound and cut through the mix. Not a heavy metal guitar. It has a vintage vibe somewhat like a Gretsch. Never hplayed an S2 but heard the bodies of S2 are thinner. My core had excellent sustain, I wonder if that had anything to do with Bigsby. I have a pair Core Starla pickups you can try out in a different guitar if you like, check them out for a while. Someday I might sell them but I try them out once in a while when I want that vintage Gretsch vibe. Let me know I'll send them out to you. Not sure what new Starla pups are.

Sergio, I DO own a S2 Starla, I actually like the guitar a lot. I'm really digging the Starla pickups. I liked them so much, I was going to get a set, to drop into one of my SE's, but was late for the party, so I dropped a set of 245's in, instead.
I really was not that excited about the large, balky Bigsby, but I have gotten comfortable with it since. Also I like the body cut on the S2 line. Waiting to pick up a S2 Singlecut Semi-hollow body next !!!

I had a Starla core for quite a while. Sold because of Bigsby and 22 fret (I really like 24 fret guitars). Starla core I thought had great sound and cut through the mix. Not a heavy metal guitar. It has a vintage vibe somewhat like a Gretsch. Never hplayed an S2 but heard the bodies of S2 are thinner. My core had excellent sustain, I wonder if that had anything to do with Bigsby. I have a pair Core Starla pickups you can try out in a different guitar if you like, check them out for a while. Someday I might sell them but I try them out once in a while when I want that vintage Gretsch vibe. Let me know I'll send them out to you. Not sure what new Starla pups are.

Hey thanks, buddy! I appreciate that, but I couldn’t accept... what happens if I fall in love? I couldn’t promise I wouldn’t hound you to death to sell them. :rolleyes::D

Sergio, I DO own a S2 Starla, I actually like the guitar a lot. I'm really digging the Starla pickups. I liked them so much, I was going to get a set, to drop into one of my SE's, but was late for the party, so I dropped a set of 245's in, instead.
I really was not that excited about the large, balky Bigsby, but I have gotten comfortable with it since. Also I like the body cut on the S2 line. Waiting to pick up a S2 Singlecut Semi-hollow body next !!!

Nice! That’s good to hear.

Hey thanks, buddy! I appreciate that, but I couldn’t accept... what happens if I fall in love? I couldn’t promise I wouldn’t hound you to death to sell them. :rolleyes::D

Nice! That’s good to hear.

OK..... They are just sitting in drawer going to waste. I wouldn't even ask for them back if you liked them. Let me know if you change your mind.

OK..... They are just sitting in drawer going to waste. I wouldn't even ask for them back if you liked them. Let me know if you change your mind.

That’s so rad of you, thank you. I haven’t decided if I’m getting a Starla (yet) but if I do and don’t like the S2 pickups, I’m grateful that you’re making yours available... even if it’s just to check out. They’re getting harder to find.

Sergio, if you are anywhere near the Maryland area, you are more than welcome to take my S2 for spin around the block, to help with your decision. Mine does have the Starla pickups still in it..

Sergio, if you are anywhere near the Maryland area, you are more than welcome to take my S2 for spin around the block, to help with your decision. Mine does have the Starla pickups still in it..

Thanks, buddy! Yeah... I’m in Illinois, but if I get to MD before pulling the trigger I’ll take you up on that!

I have an S2 Vela (Starla bridge pickup and a D-type single coil in the neck).

Get it.

I have an American Deluxe Tele and an American Elite Strat and the Vela has become my "go to" single coil guitar. The Starla bridge is splittable, but I prefer it as a humbucker. On overdriven tones the Starla bridge sounds very similar to my Tele, except better clarity without the "ice". With the fixed bridge this thing has ALL the jangle of my Tele, and about 75% of the "quack" of my Strat. There's something about this guitar that is just right for me.

I have an artist package HBII and have an artist 24-08 on order. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the 24-08 plays as well as this Vela.

I've played several Starlas with the PRS trem and I've played one studio with the PRS trem. They were both very nice, but the "snap and bite" I get from the Vela is more immediate due (I surmise) to the fixed bridge.

Just get it. It's really, realy good.

I have a core Starla with stock pickups and I just love em in there. I find they are very even in frequency response with no ice picks or mud anywhere to be found. Awesome clarity and to differ from an earlier comment I think it’s one of my greatest guitars for metal actually even against an EMG 81, the Suhr Aldrich, and the Tremonti. Mines a stoptail so it doesn’t look out of place playing metal :)

I have a Starla S2 but I'm not sure if I'm much help. I do love it and it sounds great. I bought it new from Amazon and at the same time I bought a used 2016 CE 24 and I ended up returning the CE and keeping the Starla. I thought the Starla sounded better and it stays in much better tune that the CE did. I also like the neck on Starla, the CE has a very flat neck.

NNAqy5f.jpg

Oh and if anyone is interested in a gold Starla Amazon has one left in stock (same Amazon page I bought mine from) for a really good price (less than I paid). Mine is a 2015 so it's old stock.

Hey Sergio, sorry I'm a little late to chime in.
I A/B'd my S2 Starla with a core Mira, core Custom 24, s2 custom 24, S2 singlecut semihollow and my Gretsch Brian Setzer with TV Jones PU's.
I"m hearing less mids in the Starla and a more jangly sound. A little bit Rickenbacker'ísh and definitly more Gretschy. Mind you it isnt a Rick and it isn't a Gretsch but it
'll get you in that direction. I guess more Mike Campbell then Carlos. The amp I used was a Koch Twintone II combo with 12" ext cab.

Depending what you consider a cool color...we should talk...PM sent.

I have an S2 Starla. The bigsby works great for me. Never had tuning issues. The pickups are definitely warm. It's my go to guitar, especially with the tap/split option. My SG Standard has been relegated to the Starla's back up. Use it most for classic rock type songs.

Thanks!

Sold already...but I assume something like this would fit the bill?

https://reverb.com/item/2317015-prs-s1-starla-special-order-2010-gold-sparkle

Back